Mardi Gras Parade Question

micheleg

Hi All of you great NOLA residents. First, thanks for all of the helpful information. What happens when it rains when a parade is scheduled? Do they still happen or are they cancelled - is there a rain or shine definition? We have tickets for the last parade on Fat Tuesday - Zulu/Rex, and I was looking at the forecast for the next week and it appears that rain might be a high probability.

Also...one last question...is Uber a possibility during parade days? I know that streetcars are limited due to road closings, but walking is hard for me, and it's not exactly close from Julia street to the our parade location (St. Charles & Lafayette)

I appreciate your help!

Michele

The current forecast calls for a 40% chance of rain on Mardi Gras day, but no severe weather. As usual, that is subject to change.

The parades will go on, rain or shine, but may be delayed by severe weather (thunderstorms, high winds).

I wouldn't count on Uber or Lyft. There is just too much traffic for them to get around downtown. Same with cabs.

Thanks for the information everyone! We have ponchos, and I have a walker, so slow and muddy will rule the day. :)

One last question. Anyone have an idea as to what time Zulu will make it to Lafayette? Our tickets say 8:00 AM, but that's the start, so between the walk and what time they will get there, I want to make sure we're in our grandstand. Not sure how 7 small blocks at a slow pace will take us to get there.

You can also download a website that has all the parade schedules just know that the local media will carry any last-minute cancellations or rescheduling. Most parades are going to go at the schedule time some parades will be rescheduled maybe an hour earlier to start depending on the weather and there is one parade in Plaquemine that's rescheduled to Monday night so there is no hard-and-fast rule.