Lowly medic looking for help.

Shellygal

Hello! I’m looking for some sage cruise advice! My husband and I are avid cruisers. We have always been loyal to RCCL, as we love the line, ships, and experience. We have two upcoming, including a TA.

Here is my quandary...I would like to give my husband a cruise for this upcoming Christmas holiday season. (Dec/Jan)

I am a lowly paramedic with a lower income than my architect husband. Lol. I will pay RCCL rates but am curious to find the most bang for my buck. Which line would you recommend that would compare in amenities, etc. and why. We always go balcony at a minimum.

Thanks for taking time to advise.

I'd go with Princess (as I've never been on HAL or Celebrity) for a bit of a nicer cruise experience. Of course, it's been 4 years since I've been on a Princess ship and in that time all the good stuff about the line may have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Thx! Any advice helps! I was actually just searching their site!

What is your budget?

Do you want a relaxed type cruise or a ship with lots of action?

age range?

We are easy...we are usually more low key, but like options. Age....ugh...lol...nearer to retirement for him and for me....another ten years. Lol

We are easy...we are usually more low key, but like options. Age....ugh...lol...nearer to retirement for him and for me....another ten years. Lol

And budget.....under $5000.00

Edited by Shellygal
Wrong number

I was a paramedic in my other life....and thank you for your service :). The Christmas cruise season is ultra high season and prices tend to be somewhat higher with the ships having lots of families with teens and kids. RCI is somewhat unique with its monster ships (Oasis Class) and if you like that kind of ship then you could also be looking at the huge ships of Norwegian (NCL). Otherwise, you might want to compare Celebrity (focus on their Solstice Class ships) and Princess. We have also cruises a lot (over 500 days) on HAL, but do not generally recommend that line unless we know a lot more about the cruiser :).

Hank

Cruises in the window between Thanksgiving and Christmas tend to be lower price and good "bang for the buck" due to lower demand.

And a week or so after New Year's prices are lower than the holiday weeks.

At any given time any cruiseline might perhaps have a "sale." Notice I put sale in quotes! Compare itineraries, size of ship, transportation to port, inclusions like drink packages, gratuities, etc. You might find the bottom line prices are more similar than you think. You mentioned having sailed RC previously, do you qualify for C&A discount - also there are sometimes discounts for specific jobs like firefighters/paramedics. Make sure to check all your options.

I was a paramedic in my other life....and thank you for your service :). The Christmas cruise season is ultra high season and prices tend to be somewhat higher with the ships having lots of families with teens and kids. RCI is somewhat unique with its monster ships (Oasis Class) and if you like that kind of ship then you could also be looking at the huge ships of Norwegian (NCL). Otherwise, you might want to compare Celebrity (focus on their Solstice Class ships) and Princess. We have also cruises a lot (over 500 days) on HAL, but do not generally recommend that line unless we know a lot more about the cruiser :).

Hank

Hank,

Thank YOU for your service! Yes, I have been noticing

ho ho is high.

Thanks for your sage advice!

We like Med to large ships....so far.

Forgive me...what is HAL?

OP Shellygal (and Hlitner as well), in no way are you a "lowly" paramedic. You help save lives. I thank you for your service and I hope you find the perfect cruise for you and DH.

Awwwww....thanks!

We just care a lot about helping people at their worst.

A cog in the wheel....

Thanks!

At any given time any cruiseline might perhaps have a "sale." Notice I put sale in quotes! Compare itineraries, size of ship, transportation to port, inclusions like drink packages, gratuities, etc. You might find the bottom line prices are more similar than you think. You mentioned having sailed RC previously, do you qualify for C&A discount - also there are sometimes discounts for specific jobs like firefighters/paramedics. Make sure to check all your options.

Grandma....

Great advice also.

Yes we are royal C&A peeps....

I hadn’t thought of that!

You all are so darn helpful!

I thank you all!

Hank,

Thank YOU for your service! Yes, I have been noticing

ho ho is high.

Thanks for your sage advice!

We like Med to large ships....so far.

Forgive me...what is HAL?

HAL is Holland America Line. But cruising on this line can be a bit of a problem for younger folks (on HAL that would be under 60) depending on the itinerary and length of cruise. Compared to the other lines mentioned, HAL tends to be more quiet with fewer activities. I have personally never done a HAL cruise over the holidays...which is another reason why I hedge on recommending this line for that time of year.

Hank

Shelly, do you need all the bells and whistles of the mega ships and can you go on a 9/10/11 day cruise? If you don't and you can, you might want to look at RCI's Serenade of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale and Navigator of the Seas out of Miami, cruising to the southern Caribbean in that time frame between Thanksgiving and mid-December.

We did the 11-night on Serenade this past December. The prices were very reasonable and the trip was wonderfully relaxing.

We really enjoyed our first Celebrity cruise - we were happy with an interior with a great price on the 14 day Southern Caribbean. Different than RCCL and we loved it. Food was very nice and without our kids we were fine without climbing wall, etc.

Do you have a travel agent? They can search all the lines for the best prices. Tell them when and what you want to do and let them do the leg work. It doesn't cost anymore.

Also, in almost every major paper I've read, there are travel agencies always offering packages for cruises, all inclusives, etc. in the travel section. Many are part of a larger organization that buy blocks at a discount and sell them at a better price than you can get direct.

Just a suggestion.

Shelly, do you need all the bells and whistles of the mega ships and can you go on a 9/10/11 day cruise? If you don't and you can, you might want to look at RCI's Serenade of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale and Navigator of the Seas out of Miami, cruising to the southern Caribbean in that time frame between Thanksgiving and mid-December.

We did the 11-night on Serenade this past December. The prices were very reasonable and the trip was wonderfully relaxing.

That sounds like a great option! We have done navigator once before and liked it. The length of the cruise would be perfect!

Thanks!

We really enjoyed our first Celebrity cruise - we were happy with an interior with a great price on the 14 day Southern Caribbean. Different than RCCL and we loved it. Food was very nice and without our kids we were fine without climbing wall, etc.

Sounds like another great idea to research!

Nice.....

Thanks!

Do you have a travel agent? They can search all the lines for the best prices. Tell them when and what you want to do and let them do the leg work. It doesn't cost anymore.

Also, in almost every major paper I've read, there are travel agencies always offering packages for cruises, all inclusives, etc. in the travel section. Many are part of a larger organization that buy blocks at a discount and sell them at a better price than you can get direct.

Just a suggestion.

Toyman...

We do have a travel agent....however we have never gotten a single perk. Great idea! Newspaper...here I come!

Thx!,