Second Thoughts About Flying?

jhannah

In a very unfortunate incident today, the left engine of a Southwest Airlines jet exploded in flight. Shrapnel was propelled through the airplane's skin and entered the cabin. One passenger lost his life.

Stuff happens. No doubt about it. This is an isolated incident in Southwest's excellent safety record. That being said, does this make you think again about flying to port, especially going over seas?

Delta also made an emergency landing at Dulles today when they lost a tire. I flew into Dulles on Delta yesterday and used to fly Southwest. (I don't do unassigned seating anymore but they are a good airline with great staff.). Neither incident has stopped me from googling overseas flights today.

Not us.

Sad things happen everywhere including here (look at the Humbolt hockey team) or when you are travelling.

We don't use Southwest but there is a risk for everything these days - being in the wrong place at the wrong time, crossing the street, flyiing, cruising or even staying home.,

In a very unfortunate incident today, the left engine of a Southwest Airlines jet exploded in flight. Shrapnel was propelled through the airplane's skin and entered the cabin. One passenger lost his life.

Stuff happens. No doubt about it. This is an isolated incident in Southwest's excellent safety record. That being said, does this make you think again about flying to port, especially going over seas?

I have not been on a plane in 8 years .There are plenty of ways to enjoy one self without flying.

I did so much flyin g through the years with my DH. I never liked flying (my DH did ) but I liked going to great t places so had to fly . I try hard now to not fly , Not out of fear but the hassle, and hor i rible treatment is so m iserable.

Edited by sail7seas

I am a logical thinker, so the risks of flying seem really slight to me. I am not a big fan of the actual experience, but I do feel it is safe relative to other methods of travel and it gets me where I want to go (Europe) quickly and reliably, if not always comfortably.

The recent incidents in no way change my thoughts on the above.

If you are not going to Fly based upon safety issues then do not drive. The odds are higher you will be killed driving. If you do not drive have someone else drive, but the odds again higher you will be killed than flying. So since you can't get to the port maybe you need to sty home and hide in the house? You should never leave the house becasue the odds of being killed are higher outside the house.

You can live your life, or you can hide the choice is yours...... Not passing judgement on anyone. My choice is to life life but protect myself. I live in a country that has high crime, home invasions, robbery, murder, so I protect myself. But I still live and sleep in my house at night knowing armed security is outside watching everything. Is the risk higher yes, after reducing it the best I can do I feel safe absolutely.

Have been on planes that blew out tires while we landed -- scary -- yes.

Have been on planes when we had to be de-iced twice before we were allowed up in the air.

But those and a few other incidents did not and would not keep us from flying as we have no other way to get to the ports.

Just returned from Europe. We fly internationally at least once a year, domestically 2 to 3:times a year. Domestically we use Southwest, they have been great.. yes we have encountered some incidents but will not stop us from traveling until we ar not able to.

Leave again in August, Southwest one way, Alaska on,our return.

I dislike flying but it is a necessary evil. A means to an end. If you want to see a destination you need to get there first. To be honest, I don't even like driving very much anymore with all the nutty drivers out there...but it is just something you need to do to go where you want to go.

While we don’t exactly dislike flying we long time ago got over the thrill but I agree it’s a means to a end. Living where we do if we didn’t fly we basically wouldn’t cruise. Outside of Galveston with its limited choices any other major cruise port is days away by car and not a good option. Obviously distant itineraries like Europe or Asia would be totally off the plate.

I dislike flying but it is a necessary evil. A means to an end. If you want to see a destination you need to get there first. To be honest, I don't even like driving very much anymore with all the nutty drivers out there...but it is just something you need to do to go where you want to go.

Oh yeah, THIS! I so agree.

Leaving tomorrow morning for a land-based tour in India. Not looking forward to that long, LONG flight, but looking forward to the adventure. Very sad for the poor passenger on Southwest (our go-to domestic airline) after yesterday's accident, but I wouldn't hesitate to fly a Southwest flight today or soon. Allegiant is another story! :eek:

Best wishes to all!

I'm safer in an airplane than in my own car.

Coincidentally, I read an online article yesterday that noted not one single passenger fatality on a US airline was recorded last year.

David

I think that the record goes back to 2009, not just last year.

I'm more concerned about what 60 Minutes reported on their show last Sunday about Allegiant Air.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/video/7lRYevF9XrpLqEXeHQJmBNTCbqc_onKC/flying-under-the-radar-closing-the-gender-pay-gap/

I read this morning the Southwest fatality is the first U.S. airline fatality in 9 years. That's a pretty good track record considering the number of people that fly, although any fatality is unfortunate. I'm not surprised hearing these things though in this era of deregulation.

It’s always at the back of my mind, but so is the danger of driving on our highways. I don’t let either stop me from getting where I want to go. I did insist that my husband stop watching the Air Disasters show on TV a month before our last flight. I didn’t need THAT in my head [emoji12]

My issue is that flying has gotten to be such a hassle these days. Between security, and baggage restrictions, paying for luggage, more passengers per plane and less overhead bins. The food used to be bad, but you didn’t have to pay for it. Now it’s still bad and you have to pay.

Airlines are adding more and more cattle call seats. It’s just not fun. We have been spending more of our travel budget on upgrades to at least be a bit more comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm safer in an airplane than in my own car.

Coincidentally, I read an online article yesterday that noted not one single passenger fatality on a US airline was recorded last year.

David

Actually, that was the first passenger fatality on an domestic flight since 2009.

I've flown in excess of 1.5 million BIS miles over the last 30 years and yesterdays accident does not even register on my concern over flying in the future. Its a terrible tragedy, for sure, but look at the condition of that engine, it looks pretty shredded, and the plane still made able to make safe landing, thereby saving all the other passengers and crew.

My issue is that flying has gotten to be such a hassle these days. Between security, and baggage restrictions, paying for luggage, more passengers per plane and less overhead bins. The food used to be bad, but you didn’t have to pay for it. Now it’s still bad and you have to pay.

Airlines are adding more and more cattle call seats. It’s just not fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. It seemed to be fun back in the 60's and 70's when I was a lot younger. Now it's just so much of a hassle. Security, making sure your bag comes in under 50 pounds or you'll be charged a king's ransom, passengers jostling for overhead bin space, tight uncomfortable seats, lousy food, planes are very dirty, rude and sometimes smelly passengers, just the whole experience now is a big turn off. I don't even bother with the overhead bins, just pay to check the bag and move on. My carry on fits under the seat. Don't want to chance getting in a fight over bin space or pay a extra fee to get on the plane first to guarantee a spot in those bins. They used to be for coats and hats back in the day, now they are for 40+ pound suitcases! I always get nervous thinking if we hit turbulence and those bins accidentally pop open I will be whacked on the head with someone's overloaded bag! How did Linda die, my friends would ask? By getting her head smashed in by a 40 pound + piece of luggage on a plane would be the answer!

"Cattle Call" is a good description, I feel like a poor farm animal being squashed on a cattle truck....only where I am travelling to is hopefully a lot more pleasant than where those poor steers are going!