Why is ti so difficult for cruise lines to handle "sharted tables"?

Twice_a_year

The defunct Renaissance Cruise Line was able to handle this by having two lines. One for a table two and another for tables of 4 to 8. Here you could express a desire to share a table. Today we have too many alternative dinning venues. So a table of 4 or 8 could end up with only 2 at a fixed table at any given time.

I find the sharing of one's dinning table a very important part of the cruising experience.

Most "anytime" dining options on the mass market lines...no one WANTS to share with others. Traditional seating is the best option to request a large "shared" table. We, too, enjoy company at dinner...it's so much more fun!

I think there are lots of people that like anytime so they can spend some evenings alone and some evenings sharing...or they want to meet different people each time.

We are like this. Set dining is our idea of a nightmare as we never know when we will be eating and we worry about being with people we may not get along with...especially as we are much younger than the average cruiser.

I came here expecting a totally different discussion. I know it's an innocent typo on the OPs part but um..... yea. I wouldn't want to be near anyone who sharted.

Like you, I checked out this thread for a reason different than the OP intended. I got curious as to what the problem was. Was it improper table disinfection procedures after an incident? Or chair cushion cleaning thoroughness? Kinda disappointed in what the thread is actually about. ;p

I was curious to know what "sharted" was, but kind of feared the answer. It's not nearly as scandalous as I thought.

Anyway, we like anytime dining because we don't want to have dinner making small talk with strangers. With stressful jobs and a son off at college, vacation is our chance to spend time just with each other and reconnect with the kiddo.

We like Anytime dining because we like being able to eat when we want rather than a set time. We also usually like a table for two, although we will share at times.

I really think that if sharing is important, probably some form of Anytime dining is best. We haven't used TD for years, but have heard that many table are mostly empty many nights, due I think to the proliferation of specialty restaurants.

With Anytime, if you ask to share, you will probably get to share.

We are like this. Set dining is our idea of a nightmare as we never know when we will be eating and we worry about being with people we may not get along with...especially as we are much younger than the average cruiser.
If you find yourselves at an assigned table with people whom you don't enjoy, you can always switch to another table or to anytime dining. We've met lots of interesting people through traditional dining. And the good thing is that we get beyond the basic conversation topics as the cruise goes on. At anytime dining, the conversation tends to be the same--just a change in the cast of characters.

And don't make assumptions about not having anything to talk about with older people. Two of our most delightful tablemates were a couple on a HAL cruise. I was in my 30s at the time and initially thought that it was going to be a situation where we'd end up switching. But they were great tablemates.

I am laughing so hard I think I might pee mysel! Or worse!

Thanks,. I needed a belly laugh on a gloomy today.

Same here! I literally have tears running down my face. Will have to make sure I request a non sharting table from now on!