Edinburgh or Glasgow Choice?

For those whom have visited these two cities in Scotland and if you only had three days available which city would you spend two days and the other just one? Why is one city better than the other to visit? I appreciate your responses, thanks....

We had just one day in each city on our British isles cruise last summer. I feel like we saw the highlights of what we wanted to see in Glasgow. There were a lot of things we'd like to go back to Edinburgh to see that we missed.

Hi Snowblower.

I live just a few miles from Glasgow and while it is a very nice City with plenty to see I much prefer Edinburgh as it is very Historical with the Castle, Royal Mile and the Old Town.

The “New Town” area of Edinburgh is not unlike most of the Glasgow City Centre.

I would have 2 days in Edinburgh and one in Glasgow.

Open top bus tours are available in both Cities, do enjoy your visit to my beautiful Country.

I'd spend the three days in a hotel in Edinburgh and get the express train to Glasgow for the day. However from Edinburgh, it's also very easy to visit St Andrews, Falkirk (Wheel and Kelpies), Linlithgow Palace, The Trossachs (Highlands in Miniature), Roslin Chapel (da Vinci code) as well as numerous Outlander locations. As others have said you can easily spend 3 days in Edinburgh itself.

I'd spend the three days in a hotel in Edinburgh and get the express train to Glasgow for the day. .

I agree.

Edinburgh is much the more historic city & there's lots more for the visitor to see & do there.

One hotel for 3/4 nights is so much better than upping-sticks & moving to another (though Edinburgh hotel rates tend to be higher), and if you are keen to see something of Glasgow or you run out of ideas in Edinburgh after 2 days you can take the train to Glasgow for the day - journey time little over an hour and fares from as little as £13 return

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Glasgow is much more vibrant, a much busier night-life & lots of young folk from Edinburgh go there for the evening.

And it's the slightly more-convenient gateway to the afore-mentioned Trossachs & Loch Lomond.

But for a short break without a car I rate Edinburgh significantly more attractive.

Just MHO as always.

JB :)

:')

Glasgow is much more vibrant, a much busier night-life & lots of young folk from Edinburgh go there for the evening.

How recently were you in Glasgow? Not sure I'd agree that us locals, particularly of the younger generation, head to Glasgow unless maybe for the Hydro occasionally :'):')

:')

How recently were you in Glasgow? Not sure I'd agree that us locals, particularly of the younger generation, head to Glasgow unless maybe for the Hydro occasionally :'):')

Hi, Exile.

Not my words - said by a Glaswegian :D

In response to my TripAdvisor query about traffic between the two cities, this from a madscotsman.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186534-i211-k11467549-Traffic_Edinburgh_to_GLA_airport_sunday_early_evening-Glasgow_Scotland.html#91165826

On TripAdvisor I think I may have struck a sore point with Glaswegians.

Have I now done the reverse to an Edinburgher on Cruise Critic? :D

No..... but maybe best to stick to things you know about rather than hearsay??? ;p:D

........... if I get delayed by carloads of young Edinburghers on the early evening drive from Edinburgh back to Glasgow airport, you'll be the first to know :D

........... if I get delayed by carloads of young Edinburghers on the early evening drive from Edinburgh back to Glasgow airport, you'll be the first to know :D

When will you be here? Just so I can ask everybody to keep the M8 clear for you :evilsmile:

When will you be here? Just so I can ask everybody to keep the M8 clear for you :evilsmile:

Thanks for that very kind offer, Exile. :)

But if you kept the M8 clear for us, the hordes of Edinburgh youngsters heading to Glasgow for a night out would use the M80 - which would impede us if we chose to visit the Falkirk Wheel en-route.

I don't suppose your influence could instead be used to ensure good weather ;p