Powerstrips...THE TRUTH

Jack and Linda

DO NOT pack a power strip for your RCCL cruise. My luggage was held up by security and my power strip was confiscated because they are deemed a potential fire hazard. A word to the wise...don't pack one!

I thought only those with a surge protector would be confiscated ?

DO NOT pack a power strip for your RCCL cruise. My luggage was held up by security and my power strip was confiscated because they are deemed a potential fire hazard. A word to the wise...don't pack one!

I believe power strips and extension cords are not allowed on most ships.

Mostly the ones with surge protection. Some cruise lines will allow basic extension cords.

If you're going to head your thread "THE TRUTH" you should make sure it is indeed the truth.;)

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

then "what to pack" then "prohibited items"

As per the penultimate paragraph, either your cord had a surge protector or you were unfortunate enough to deal with a particularly officious security officer.

We've never had a problem with a simple short 4-gang power cord on any ship, including Princess.

But the final word is that of the security officer.

JB :)

Edited to add.....

Oooops, my bad.

For whatever reason (probably senility :rolleyes:) I read RCCL as Princess.

If you're going to head your thread "THE TRUTH" you should make sure it is indeed the truth.;)

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

As per the penultimate paragraph, either your cord had a surge protector or you were unfortunate enough to deal with a particularly officious security officer.

We've never had a problem with a simple short 4-gang power cord on any ship, including Princess.

But the final word is that of the security officer.

The OP was on a RCCL (RC) cruise.:rolleyes:

The OP was on a RCCL (RC) cruise.:rolleyes:

Yep, realised that & edited just before your post :o

And yep, power cords are on RCCL's list - without reference to surge protector.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

But we've sailed three times with them & no problem, even though on each occasion it was openly in use on the dressing table ;)

As I understand it power strips, especially with surge protectors, are incompatible with shipboard wiring and it is that incompatibility that can under certain circumstances cause a fire. If something is on a cruise line's prohibited list it is there for a reason.

I have a medical need & have to use a heating pad. I have one that automatically turns off after 20 minutes. I bring a basic extension cord because the only plug in the room is by the vanity. I haven’t had a problem yet with them taking it away. I have a cruise scheduled in July so hopefully it doesn’t get confiscated

I have a medical need & have to use a heating pad. I have one that automatically turns off after 20 minutes. I bring a basic extension cord because the only plug in the room is by the vanity. I haven’t had a problem yet with them taking it away. I have a cruise scheduled in July so hopefully it doesn’t get confiscated

While I don't believe that heating pads are on RCI's prohibited list (though I think it might be on other lines), many people feel that their devices that produce heat are completely safe because of an "auto-off" feature. These switches are very well known to fail, and Mr. Coffee knows this very well, as they almost went out of business in the 80's because of all the lawsuits over house fires caused by failed "auto-off" switches on their coffee makers. Just be aware that these can and do fail, and use these devices with caution, and also know that having an "auto-off" feature is no guarantee of safe performance of the device, and no guarantee that the ship will allow the device onboard.

We have always taken the Belkin 3 outlet and 2 USB.

For things like heating pads, I would never go to sleep with a heating pad. Nor will I charge devices overnight.

Just be aware that the Belkin 3 outlet/2USB has a surge protector. That's what cruise lines most often don't want onboard.

I have a 3 outlet cord without surge protection. Sailed on 6 RCI cruises with it in my suitcase, no issues. Last cruise on Navigator and suitcase was flagged. Had to go to security to get it, told them 6 previous cruises, no problems but they would not budge. During debarkation, went to table to pick it up and saw boxes of confiscated power cords, my conservative guesstimate well over 100.

During debarkation, went to table to pick it up and saw boxes of confiscated power cords, my conservative guesstimate well over 100.
Did you happen to notice... We're any of those two-pronged?

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Just emailed RC for info on any type of power strip (non surge protector type included) ....

Their response via email was "Any and all power strips and extension cords would not be allowed on board".

I was trying to preplan to avoid any hassle for November on Harmony of the Seas. Oh well guess I'll find something else to bring for extra "plugs".

Just emailed RC for info on any type of power strip (non surge protector type included) ....

Their response via email was "Any and all power strips and extension cords would not be allowed on board".

I was trying to preplan to avoid any hassle for November on Harmony of the Seas. Oh well guess I'll find something else to bring for extra "plugs".

n13zvk.jpg

2dj90i.jpg