Table Tennis. Indoors or Outdoors? How many tables?

Kitsilanoguy

I was disappointed to discover on Emerald Princess (Crown’s sister ship) that there was only one table and it was outside with the wind. There was no daily notice of play times to encourage participation, so there was none. Both Star and Caribbean Princess ships 🚢 had a number of tables and notices each day for times of play. There were many levels of players and they were fun and enthusiastic. Good way of meeting people. Please share if you can comment about Table Tennis on the Crown for our 25 day cruise. Thank you.

Cheers,

Kitsilanoguy :cool:

Vancouver

I was disappointed to discover on Emerald Princess (Crown’s sister ship) that there was only one table and it was outside with the wind. There was no daily notice of play times to encourage participation, so there was none. Both Star and Caribbean Princess ships 🚢 had a number of tables and notices each day for times of play. There were many levels of players and they were fun and enthusiastic. Good way of meeting people. Please share if you can comment about Table Tennis on the Crown for our 25 day cruise. Thank you.

Cheers,

Vancouver

Last I knew same as Emerald.

Outdoors for sure. The only Princess ships I have seen with indoor tables are the ones with an indoor pool. The tables were in the Conservatory. The Crown does not have an indoor pool. I have been on the Crown, but can't really remember where the table(s) are.

Do not know where your 25 day itinerary goes but I doubt that Table Tennis was the prime reason most people bought that cruise. Maybe you can find 1 or 2 interested parties on your roll call.

If the ship has a covered pool, the table tennis will be “indoors” in the Conservatory.

Which I hate. The acoustics in the Conservatory are quite echo-y, and the constant thwacking and shouts of the players was hardly restful for the rest of us.

Cheers,

Vancouver

It’s been a few years since we were on the Crown, but I know what you mean about the table tennis tables being in very bad spots on the Emerald, & Ruby. In fact my DH said don’t book the Ruby anymore. There was 2 tables , but both almost unplayable because of the location . The Ruby took out there shuffleboard, I was told, when I asked. And no sports @ all before 9:00am or after 6:00pm. Sports meaning mini golf, pickle ball , table tennis (ping pong,) or basketball Some ships are more for dancing ( like the Ruby & Emerald ) Like you the playing seems to add a lot ( if not most) of his enjoyment on our cruises. He loves the social part of the playing ( meeting all the new people). For him the destination is the ship. I do remember the tables used to be right next to the outside bars, or next to the grill, under a cover, which was fine. It seems like they have added more eating tables and chairs in those areas now.

We put our concerns about this when doing the survey, as we thought it might help. You might do the same.