Is it OK to take pics of food whilst dining?

UAL_FlyGal

If at a table with strangers I will ask if they mind if I take pictures of my food. Often they will then insist that I also take pictures of their plates too. I've been taking cruise food pictures for over a decade. It's interesting to see how portion size and interpretation of the standard recipes differs from ship to ship and year to year.

Jackie

Yeah, taking pictures of my food....I've had table mates ask if they may. As much as I really think it is a pain, I say yes because I basically liked the person and it was a small inconvenience. I was at a table of 7 or 8, and each evening ritual was that the server brought the food and we spent the next 5 minutes handing plates around while one person photographed each plate as the food cooled. And when the photography was finished, we could eat.

I'd suggest that you photograph your own plates, but don't ask others. Yes, I could have said "no," but that makes me the bad guy at the table. I'd also suggest that you tell the others at your table to go ahead and start eating, especially if you are using anything other than a "point and shoot" camera. It might take 10 seconds to film your plate and that of your partner, but when you start fooling around with settings, viewing the shots to be sure they are good, etc......really?

It's all part of the cruise experience ... especially those relatively new to cruising. It's fun to share the experience with friends when you get home. And, food is a big part of that experience. Shoot away!!

Yes, people do it all the time...on the ships especially in the speciality restaurants...I do it..but only my own.

Have u heard of Yelp.....:D

Tacky, yes.....but it is commonplace at least in the States, in fact I was in a restaurant recently where they requested no photos to be taken of their food, only in Southern California....:rolleyes:.

I consider it completely tacky but lots and lots of people do it so I am obviously in the minority on this point.

DON

I am tacky. do it all the time when dining alone. looks like i am a food critic taking photos for my blog.