West Coast of Africa with an Explorer.

drron29

Add our thanks to DrRon too, oh and I gained at least a pound after scrolling through those delicious looking pix--thanx for posting the useful links as well.

p.s., DrRon believe your CC clock for Rejkhavik to Churchhill has a July start date vs the actual start date August 7th. Will post pix of our Cloud visit to Iceland (Akureyri, Isafjordur, Reykjavik and Heimaey, 24-27 July) on this board then.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Wes, methinks our good Aussie mate fell victim to the American convention for calendar shorthand: Aug 7 (8/7/13) vs 7 Aug (7/8/13). Always my worst nightmare when making my own reservations in Europe... Some sites convert to American style dates for our convenience, and some don't. I keep worrying that I'm inverting the date! That's why we'll only book travel on 6/6, 7/7, etc... :p

Drron29: most enjoyable travelogue; thanks for all the work you put into it. Agree with you 100% that Silver Explorer is a great way to go - we're back on it in a few months too. Looked at your trip from Japan to Guam - looks interesting! Happy sailing!

An absolute delight to have travelled along with you and Ann, Ron. I'm going to miss checking the website every morning for the next instalment. Thank you for letting us all come along with you. Pat and Bill xx

Once again thanks.

Yes indeed JP I had written the date in the Australian way.Can be very frustrating sometimes.

Yes duct tape the link does look odd but it works.

RachelG we will make sure the Explorer is just right for your voyage.Pat we do hope we are shipmates in the future as long as Bill doesnt lose his Scots humour!

I thought I had better add my 2 cents worth !

I really did not want to go to Africa and the only way Ron could get me there was by adding a Silverseas cruise into the package, especially as it was on the Explorer. As Ron said it would have been the only way we would have seen some of the countries we went to.

As usual the staff were fantastic. I thought the food was much better - I think due to the new chef Grant ( hope to see him on board again ). The expedition staff were all excellent, outgoing, and they really do enjoy their work.

After the cruise we did 3 game parks in Botswana - Sanctuary Lodges - which I now call the Silverseas of game parks - highly recommended.

Ann ( aka mrs.dr.ron :D )

• 1 year later...

Thanks so much for this chronicle, to say nothing of the cool photos. As a pal and I are scarcely more than a couple months from heading for South Africa prior to our 31 March departure on Silver Explorer, I found your account interesting and helpful.

Thanks again!

Stevfe