Another newbie question about butlers

poinsettiaplate

I am booked on the Shadow in May from Tokyo to Vancouver. Although I have cruised many times, this will be the first time that my cabin has come accessorized with a butler. What do butlers do? Do they supervise the cabin steward or do they have parallel chains of command? How do I keep from asking the butler for something the room steward should do, or vice versa? Please educate me.

First time on Silversea. Even though we have sailed on Regent and Seabourn, we have never had a butler. Someone said the butler will unpack your suitcase. If so, when will he do that? In time to be able to dress for dinner? Also, how do you know where they put everything? It’s an interesting idea, but I’m unsure of the logistics. Many thanks to the wonderful people on CC. I always get the answers I need.

Mom C

This will give you an idea of what the butler can do for you.

https://www.silversea.com/onboard/personalised-service.html

Very few people use all services. For example I know very few who have the butler unpack or pack for them. However, I have known a few who did have the butler do this as they needed the help and could not do it themselves.

Some people have the butler do very little if anything.

Like most things it will vary.

In our case we often have breakfast in our room so that is served by the butler and we might have dinner in the room once a cruise.

Either way the link will provide you with what the butler will do and then you can decide what you would like them to do.

Keith

I am booked on the Shadow in May from Tokyo to Vancouver. Although I have cruised many times, this will be the first time that my cabin has come accessorized with a butler. What do butlers do? Do they supervise the cabin steward or do they have parallel chains of command? How do I keep from asking the butler for something the room steward should do, or vice versa? Please educate me.

Generally speaking your butler will be your go-to person for most everything and typically you’ll have little interface with the room steward. Before we started cruising with Silversea five years ago we’d only had one butler on a Celebrity cruise and he was basically useless and it was our head room steward that got things done for us. With that experience we were less than enthusiastic about having a butler on Silversea and had very low expectations. Truth is that seven cruises later our butlers have been very good to exceptional. We don’t ask for much and certainly have never asked to have our luggage unpacked or packed. Keith1010’s post above is spot on.

Most room service is done by your butler. Favorite mini bar items will be arranged by your butler. We asked for chips and nuts one day after an excursion and while getting ready for dinner and every day after that we had snacks in the room.

Couple years ago our butler knew the excursion we were on was going to be muddy and he had a hot bubble bath and champagne in the room when we got back. If we asked for fresh towels or more soap he told the steward.

We have be on this cruise the other way twice and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I actually HATE the idea of having a butler!! I think it sounds really pretentious and brings to mind the English aristocracy such as you find in series such as Downton Abbey where the 'rich' even have help with dressing and undressing!!

But, in reality, does the Silversea butler do much more than the average cabin steward?....apart from the offer to pack or unpack your clothes which it seems few people accept anyway? I've only been on one previous Silverseas cruise and, whilst the service was excellent, I don't recall the actual duties being much different to usual...... maybe just a bit more consistently good? But that was possibly because he picked up on the fact that I like my personal space.

• 2 weeks later...

poinsettiaplate, if you are still interested, I can give you my experience as a first-timer on Silversea.

On the first day, I was utterly underwhelmed by the butler. He seemed to be a nice enough guy, but it was clear that he was trying to attend to at least 8 staterooms (perhaps more) during embarkation. He gave a little speech, covering the basics, but seemed a bit concerned that he was also needed elsewhere. I have to admit I had expected it to be less rushed, and more ... personable?

What he did do: show me the toiletries on a tray, and ask if I had another preference. When I indicated I'd like to try the Ortigia, he said it would be there by evening (it was). He showed me how to use the TV, and which button to use for calling him. He asked about mini-bar preferences. Everything I requested was there by turn-down, including an enormous bottle of Ramazzotti amaro. Finally, he strongly encouraged the use of the "still relaxing" and "please service room" cards so that he and the steward would know when I preferred quiet and stillness.

What he didn't do: offer me a pillow menu, offer to unpack my bag -- both of which I expected after reading these boards. I didn't mind at all, as the pillow selection on the bed was perfect, and I'm happy to unpack myself. Near the end of the trip I found the pillow menu on the bedside table, and perhaps on my next journey I'll try one of the others.

As the week went on, we interacted more. He quickly realized I was pretty low maintenance, so he would sometimes suggest things he could do for me. One day after an excursion, he asked if I'd like something from the bar. It was a lovely gesture, so I requested "something fun." He bought back a barely sweetened mojito, exactly as I prefer -- making me think he'd conversed with the bartender to see what I like.

We would usually run into each other in the morning as I returned from walking laps and breakfast, while he was serving in suite to my neighbors. He definitely got to know my habits and daily rhythm. Once I asked if he could get me a last minute reservation to La Terrazza, but it was fully booked. No biggie. Toward the end of the voyage, I left my boots to be shined, and went home with boots that looked like new.

On the final day, he did leave a note saying that he had cleaned my luggage and offered to pack, but I was happy to do it myself -- with a cocktail. Over the course of the week we chatted briefly in the hallway in the late afternoons, which was not a busy time for him. We found we had some interesting things in common, and it all flowed smoothly.

To be honest, I wasn't sure I would like the whole butler thing, but it turned out to be exactly right -- not too much, not too little. He grew on me as the days went on, and I grew to appreciate his understated kindnesses.

poinsettiaplate, if you are still interested, I can give you my experience as a first-timer on Silversea.

On the first day, I was utterly underwhelmed by the butler. He seemed to be a nice enough guy, but it was clear that he was trying to attend to at least 8 staterooms (perhaps more) during embarkation. He gave a little speech, covering the basics, but seemed a bit concerned that he was also needed elsewhere. I have to admit I had expected it to be less rushed, and more ... personable?

What he did do: show me the toiletries on a tray, and ask if I had another preference. When I indicated I'd like to try the Ortigia, he said it would be there by evening (it was). He showed me how to use the TV, and which button to use for calling him. He asked about mini-bar preferences. Everything I requested was there by turn-down, including an enormous bottle of Ramazzotti amaro. Finally, he strongly encouraged the use of the "still relaxing" and "please service room" cards so that he and the steward would know when I preferred quiet and stillness.

What he didn't do: offer me a pillow menu, offer to unpack my bag -- both of which I expected after reading these boards. I didn't mind at all, as the pillow selection on the bed was perfect, and I'm happy to unpack myself. Near the end of the trip I found the pillow menu on the bedside table, and perhaps on my next journey I'll try one of the others.

As the week went on, we interacted more. He quickly realized I was pretty low maintenance, so he would sometimes suggest things he could do for me. One day after an excursion, he asked if I'd like something from the bar. It was a lovely gesture, so I requested "something fun." He bought back a barely sweetened mojito, exactly as I prefer -- making me think he'd conversed with the bartender to see what I like.

We would usually run into each other in the morning as I returned from walking laps and breakfast, while he was serving in suite to my neighbors. He definitely got to know my habits and daily rhythm. Once I asked if he could get me a last minute reservation to La Terrazza, but it was fully booked. No biggie. Toward the end of the voyage, I left my boots to be shined, and went home with boots that looked like new.

On the final day, he did leave a note saying that he had cleaned my luggage and offered to pack, but I was happy to do it myself -- with a cocktail. Over the course of the week we chatted briefly in the hallway in the late afternoons, which was not a busy time for him. We found we had some interesting things in common, and it all flowed smoothly.

To be honest, I wasn't sure I would like the whole butler thing, but it turned out to be exactly right -- not too much, not too little. He grew on me as the days went on, and I grew to appreciate his understated kindnesses.

What a lovely post! I’ve never had a butler and always wondered how I’d feel about it. Intrusive? Too personal? I wasn’t sure. Your review made me feel comfortable with a butler, if I’m ever in that class. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are totally on Team Crew Welfare Fund and give to that on every cruise we take (on every cruise line). Also, we are sure to mention specific names of those who have gone above and beyond in the written reviews - both in the middle of the cruise and at the end (and we keep the list short - maybe 3-4, so that it actually meaningful). The only time we did tip an individual was our butler on the Spirit. We had sprung for a suite and there was an occasion to have a party. Our butler did a great job of handling all the food, drink (and clean-up - what a thrill to leave for dinner and come back to a sparkling suite!). So, I wrote him a nice thank-you note and put cash in the envelope as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Our butler arranged a late snack served in our room when we did an evening excursion that got us back to the ship after 10:30 pm. He suggested it when we told him what we doing, and he had it all ready when we got back. It was wonderful. Some friends had a cocktail party in their cabin for us, and the butler arranged for hors d'oeuvres and cocktails. Finally, our butler knew I had strained my lower back, and he put a hot water bottle on my bed, with a carafe of hot water to use if I need to add water during the night.

I was so impressed with the attention he paid to what we were doing, and the helpful ideas of how to be of use.

We are totally on Team Crew Welfare Fund and give to that on every cruise we take (on every cruise line). Also, we are sure to mention specific names of those who have gone above and beyond in the written reviews - both in the middle of the cruise and at the end (and we keep the list short - maybe 3-4, so that it actually meaningful). The only time we did tip an individual was our butler on the Spirit. We had sprung for a suite and there was an occasion to have a party. Our butler did a great job of handling all the food, drink (and clean-up - what a thrill to leave for dinner and come back to a sparkling suite!). So, I wrote him a nice thank-you note and put cash in the envelope as well.

Can you please tell me how / where you can contribute to the Crew Welfare fund?

Thank you!

Can you please tell me how / where you can contribute to the Crew Welfare fund?

Thank you!

At the Registration Desk. They don't seem to advertise it, but when I asked, they knew exactly what I meant. They will note the amount of your donation, and you will receive written acknowledgment / thank you before you debark -- assuming you don't wait until the last day. I will say there was some confusion as to whether I could charge the amount, or whether it needed to be a cash donation. Luckily, I had the cash on me, so I opted for cash to simplify things.

Following the advice of those on this board, I made my donation on our last full day onboard. Throughout that day and into the evening, crew members stopped me to thank me for my donation. It wasn't a princely sum, but their gratitude and acknowledgment was palpable. It made me wish I had given more; next time I will. Without this board, I would not have known the fund existed, and I was far more comfortable contributing to it than I would have been with tipping individuals.

• 1 month later...
Butler did little for us. The only request I made was to have ginger ale in my frig but they "ran out". REALLY1

Stuff happens. On one of our longer SS cruises much to the dismay of my wife they ran out of Diet Coke the last couple of the days of the cruise. Can’t blame the butler for that.

We too have just had our first experience of a butler and I wasn’t sure what to expect. He did show us how things worked in the suite, different toiletries I could have, changed pillows and offers to unpack. We told him we were pretty low maintenance. Basically he replenished the mini bar daily and one day we ordered coffee around 4.00, then he brought it everyday, so we had to ask him not too. He cleaned my DH’s shoes one time, even though we hadn’t asked for it. We saw him around quite a bit and he was very pleasant, always asking if there was anything we needed. For us it was just right.

Pretty much our experience on the recent May 7 Dublin to Barcelona on the Muse, Unibok. There was value in the many small things that he did for us. We left the ship for a night, stayed in Oporto, and rejoined it the next day in Lisbon. There was a table with champagne, strawberries dipped in chocolate, small snacks, and a "welcome home" banner awaiting us. He also managed to have a few extra holes added to a belt that I bought ashore but did not fit right. Most attentive but not overly so and invaluable.

Pretty much our experience on the recent May 7 Dublin to Barcelona on the Muse, Unibok. There was value in the many small things that he did for us. We left the ship for a night, stayed in Oporto, and rejoined it the next day in Lisbon. There was a table with champagne, strawberries dipped in chocolate, small snacks, and a "welcome home" banner awaiting us. He also managed to have a few extra holes added to a belt that I bought ashore but did not fit right. Most attentive but not overly so and invaluable.

In this instance, your butler has done more than the average:D !

Nice! That sounds so lovely. Thanks for reporting back. And how was the early morning coffee situation? Did you find any self-serve, or did somebody have to bring you room service in another space?

One other question about the Muse, if you don't mind. My daughter is wondering about quiet spots with nice views from the indoors. We'll be on the Muse in Alaska in late May, and expect it to be quite cold outside. She's hoping for a lovely space where she can read and/or blog.

Nice! That sounds so lovely. Thanks for reporting back. And how was the early morning coffee situation? Did you find any self-serve, or did somebody have to bring you room service in another space?

One other question about the Muse, if you don't mind. My daughter is wondering about quiet spots with nice views from the indoors. We'll be on the Muse in Alaska in late May, and expect it to be quite cold outside. She's hoping for a lovely space where she can read and/or blog.

There is no self service coffee station however the arts cafe opens at 7 am with coffee etc. Tors lounge forward and the arts cafe and the lounge right above are great spots to sit with nice seating and views. They all were pretty quite during the day with the forward one the most.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately, Hanoverian and I did find the coffee lacking. There is no self-serve and there was just no way to have it delivered without waking him up before 6:30, and i just wasn't comfortable with calling room service to have it delivered elsewhere. I would have paid extra to have a Nespresso machine in the room. Truly.

As Hypercafe states above, there are many areas for your daughter to find very quiet spots. Sometimes it will be the Arts cafe (which can get busy, particularly in the afternoon - nightime is very quiet) but Tors lounge is a wonderful space, and Dolce Vita can be a nice spot, as well as the Panorama lounge. She's not going to be feeling crowded at all - lots of places for reflection and reading.