Costs of Souvenirs Besides Rum and Cigars

Firstin87

Hi,

We are going to Cuba in October and are wondering how much cash to bring for shopping in Havana. We will, of course, buy some rum and a box of cigars to give as gifts when we get home, but I'm wondering what other items people have brought back and what they cost (in either Cuban currency or US dollars).

We know baseball is big in Cuba and hope to find old (1940's - 50's) baseball cards there. Did anyone see anything like that, by chance?

Thanks in advance,

Cyndy

You'll need to bring in cash however much you plan to spend. Change your US dollars to Euros before leaving home to avoid the 10% tax.

Cigars are no bargain in Cuba. Figure CUC$20-$25 each.

Rum, Havana Club, can be had rather cheaply. The best Havana Club, Maestros, is about CUC$40 per bottle. Seven year old HC is roughly CUC$20 per bottle.

Other than that, there isn't much to bring back. My 9 year old son picked out a carved wooden 1950s car and my 7 year old daughter got a doll of some sort. The total for both was about CUC$15. You can get metal license plates that say HAVANA and there's a few t-shirts.

Lunch at a decent paladar will run you CUC$20-30 per person, including any alcoholic drinks. More than that, and I'd say you are being ripped off.

Thank you, mgsdu, for the information. Helps to get some idea of how much cash to exchange. We'll also exchange USD for Euros before we leave to save a bit on the fees when exchanging to CUC.

I'm disappointed that there may not be anything to bring back for the kids but t-shirts. I was hoping for something more unique from Cuba, but... we'll see...

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back yesterday from a cruise to Havana. We also were looking for a few basic souvenir and gift items so I will describe our experience for the benefit of the OP. Because of our excursions schedule we weren't able to get to the market that is a few blocks east of the cruise terminal but we were told that is the best place to go for souvenirs, etc. We had to settle for going to a few small stores (and some were little more than a "hole in the wall" that didn't seem to have actual doors) that are located on the streets across the plaza from the cruise terminal. I got a couple of T-Shirts for 20-CUC each, a visor for 6-CUC, and a wooden individual Cohiba cigar case/cover for 3-CUC (which I plan to use as a creative Christmas Tree ornament). I really was interested in a fitted Havana Industriales baseball cap but the shop owner wanted 30-CUC which I thought was way too much. Nice hat, however! My wife bought a leather backpack/case for 25-CUC. Our excursion bus also stopped at a store in another part of the city which sold cigars, rum and coffee. I bought a large (1000g) bag of Serrano coffee beans for 15-CUC and a bottle of Havana Club Rum for 5-CUC. (better grade rum was more, of course). Finally, there are 3-4 shops/counters in the cruise terminal building but nothing in which we were interested.

For the most part, it didn't seem to us that the prices were all that much cheaper than other islands. But, you have to remember that there are no chain stores, no McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts, no Diamonds International, no Del Sol, and no Little Switzerland stores in Havana. It's all about small individually operated shops and appreciating Cuban culture. To me, that was a really huge plus! It made Havana unique from many of those other Caribbean ports that are over-commercialized.

I do regret we were unable to make it to the market and I would love to have picked up a Havana University T-Shirt. Maybe on the next trip!

Bluewake...

That's awesome info. My tour ends around 12 -1...I want to be heading back to ship by 2 as we sail at 4. Do you think I'd have time to zip through the market??

I have a tour when we arrive from 3:30-6:30 so probably no time to shop when I arrive tomorrow. Hence, hoping to see the market on Friday for an hour or so...Thanks

Bluewake...

That's awesome info. My tour ends around 12 -1...I want to be heading back to ship by 2 as we sail at 4. Do you think I'd have time to zip through the market??

I have a tour when we arrive from 3:30-6:30 so probably no time to shop when I arrive tomorrow. Hence, hoping to see the market on Friday for an hour or so...Thanks

Again, we didn't get there but were told it's fairly large and it closes at 6 pm, I believe. So, it all depends on how quickly you "zip"! I heard that many of the stalls have the same items so a quick glance would be enough to determine whether you'd want to stop. Our friend suggested that we look for artwork because that was more likely to be original. The market is about a half-mile from the cruise terminal...probably a 15-20 minute walk unless you have any sort of physical disability. So, if you get to the market at 1 pm and give yourself one hour to breeze through, you should be back at the cruise terminal by 2:20 or so. Of course, there can be a line at the terminal and, unlike other ports where there usually are two checkpoints, in Havana there are multiple checkpoints. First, there were two people at the terminal doorway checking IDs to be sure you are a passenger. Then, you go upstairs where two Cuban security officers check passports. Next, you go through a checkpoint where your bags are screened by port employees. Finally, you get to the ship where cruiseship staff scan your card and screen your bags again... and you have to "turn in" any alcohol you have purchased. Took about 10 minutes for us to get through the process of getting back on the ship and there were no lines.

As for going out after 6:30 pm, that was about when our excursion got back and we walked around the streets near the port. We found many of those small shops were still open. It might be worth a try.

Thanks! I may wind up skipping it, depends how hot and tired I am. I am sure I'll find some stuff to buy, someplace. Some of the shops may stay open for cruise pax, it's worth it.

My tour today is a lot of walking and eating. I may still be exhausted tomorrow! :o

Wow - 20-25 Cuc for Cohibas - that’s almost 23-28 in US dollars. I seem to remember getting them cheaper than this in other islands Am I doing the match correctly?

We just bought some in Havana this week and they are that expensive. There are definitely no good deals on Cohibas and you want to buy them from certain shops to be sure they are authentic. You can buy some of the small ones for less but larger ones are quite expensive.

Hi,

We are going to Cuba in October and are wondering how much cash to bring for shopping in Havana. We will, of course, buy some rum and a box of cigars to give as gifts when we get home, but I'm wondering what other items people have brought back and what they cost (in either Cuban currency or US dollars).

We know baseball is big in Cuba and hope to find old (1940's - 50's) baseball cards there. Did anyone see anything like that, by chance?

Thanks in advance,

Cyndy

I got two leather baseballs that had Cuba stamp on them for 15 Cuc and full size Cuba league baseball bat and two wooden cars for 20 cuc they have a market not to far from the ship all kinds of stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Havana Club glasses just like the ones the bars use for your mojitos are 3.50 CUC or six for 21 CUC at the Museo de Ron (Rum Museum) which is about two blocks to the left of the port exit, going towards the San Jose market.

Thanks for posting this! I tried to buy one from the bartender out on the terrace at the Hotel Nacional and he told me to just take it.

I did, but I was terrified, and hid in the hotel bathroom to put it in my bag. Normally, I wouldn't bat an eye doing something like that, but first time in Cuba is just a little intimidating.

I'll be back in December, and you just solved some of my Christmas shopping needs.