bigger passenger

closure

Curious - was a take-off ever delayed over these issues, like the kind of thing I mentioned a day or so ago?

I was on a flight back in June that was delayed after a COS (who was easily 400 pounds) couldn't fit into their seat, needed a second in a sold out flight. After trying to do some rearranging with people refusing to give up the seats they had paid extra for (rightfully so) and the FA's not willing to break up families which who filled the majority of the rest if the plane, they realized they didn't have an empty seat. A child sitting in a seat had been assumed a lap baby until the mother provided the child's ticket, so the seat they were assuming was open, wasn't.

At any rate, they started out asking for volunteers who would be willing to take the next flight (which was the following morning) for a free upgrade to first class. No takers. Then they offered that plus $100. At this point we should have had a closed door and be pushing back.

They then thought they could move some people around and allow the guy to spill into a seat with a child. The mother of the child raised holy hell about it and said no freaking way.

The clock was ticking. Ten minutes later after many galley conversations, the COS was told that he couldn't be accommodated and would have to fly the next morning. I highly doubt any compensation was offered. It cost the carrier a lot of money because about half of us missed our flight because we sat on the Tarmac for another 30 minutes after missing our take off slot, and we missed connections due to their operational issues.

Frankly I would have asked once for a volunteer then sent the COS packing before delaying an entire plane and having to pay for about 30 hotel rooms.

I was on a flight back in June that was delayed after a COS (who was easily 400 pounds) couldn't fit into their seat, needed a second in a sold out flight. After trying to do some rearranging with people refusing to give up the seats they had paid extra for (rightfully so) and the FA's not willing to break up families which who filled the majority of the rest if the plane, they realized they didn't have an empty seat. A child sitting in a seat had been assumed a lap baby until the mother provided the child's ticket, so the seat they were assuming was open, wasn't.

At any rate, they started out asking for volunteers who would be willing to take the next flight (which was the following morning) for a free upgrade to first class. No takers. Then they offered that plus $100. At this point we should have had a closed door and be pushing back.

They then thought they could move some people around and allow the guy to spill into a seat with a child. The mother of the child raised holy hell about it and said no freaking way.

The clock was ticking. Ten minutes later after many galley conversations, the COS was told that he couldn't be accommodated and would have to fly the next morning. I highly doubt any compensation was offered. It cost the carrier a lot of money because about half of us missed our flight because we sat on the Tarmac for another 30 minutes after missing our take off slot, and we missed connections due to their operational issues.

Frankly I would have asked once for a volunteer then sent the COS packing before delaying an entire plane and having to pay for about 30 hotel rooms.

I'm interpreting your post to be it that the COS had only purchased 1 seat and than on board realized a 2nd seat was needed to which none were available. Is that correct ? If so the airline shouldn't have even attempted to ask for volunteers .

As far as the lap child issue. This perplexes me because all the FA's had to do was have the gate agent check the flight manifest to see that all passengers with boarding passes had checked in and that there were no remaining seats to be sold.

Being a fluffy person ( not anywhere close to 400 lbs.) I'm sympathetic to the travel issues that a COS is confronted with. However in the case stated in your post the COS most likely knew from the get go that 2 seats would be required and should have never expected anyone else to delay their trip by a day because he/she chose not to purchase a 2nd ticket from the start. The COS should have just accepted the fact and not have expected the airline waste time (not to mention the cost of that lost time) trying to get volunteers.

I'm interpreting your post to be it that the COS had only purchased 1 seat and than on board realized a 2nd seat was needed to which none were available. Is that correct ? If so the airline shouldn't have even attempted to ask for volunteers .

As far as the lap child issue. This perplexes me because all the FA's had to do was have the gate agent check the flight manifest to see that all passengers with boarding passes had checked in and that there were no remaining seats to be sold.

Being a fluffy person ( not anywhere close to 400 lbs.) I'm sympathetic to the travel issues that a COS is confronted with. However in the case stated in your post the COS most likely knew from the get go that 2 seats would be required and should have never expected anyone else to delay their trip by a day because he/she chose not to purchase a 2nd ticket from the start. The COS should have just accepted the fact and not have expected the airline waste time (not to mention the cost of that lost time) trying to get volunteers.

Correct. He had not purchased a second seat. Also he had booked into an exit row. He was barely able to walk and not even close to eligible to sit there.

You would think that the FA's would have checked the manifest but they just made an assumption until the mother set them straight. People were very upset about the whole thing. There was a group of people headed to SFO to catch an international flight that they missed. But people don't dare say anything and risk being deplaned themselves as an unruly passenger. It's really gotten ridiculous.

I was in a first class seat and the FA was even offering people in F compensation to take a flight the next day to move the guy there. We all looked at her like she had eight eyes and a horn growing out of her forehead.

I agree that the carrier should have said so sad, too bad from the start. I was pissed as I ended up paying for an expensive (total splurge) hotel in LA that I didn't use that night while being put up in a mediocre hotel in Charlotte because this buffoon didn't bother to use an ounce of sense or common courtesy and plan to avoid what any reasonable person would know was going to be an issue.

I have compassion for people who have issues which can make travel difficult. But I also expect them to do everything humanly possible IN ADVANCE to make any impact they have on others minimal. This could be anything from buying a second seat to plenty of prep with social stories for an autistic person to having small toys and snacks for younger flyers to stay busy.

I have all the sympathy in the world for the parents of a two year old who have come armed with snacks and toys and books and booked a seat for the space. I get incensed when the same parents check out in bloody Mary's at 8:00 am and ignore the kicking, shrieking child for the next two hours.

A little aside, my husband was in a serious accident a few months ago and we had to fly a few weeks later. He had broken ribs, collarbone, and foot among other injuries. We had purchased economy tickets with the expectation that we would get an upgrade due to status. We were booked in the exit row on top of it. We called the airline two weeks before our travel date and used miles to upgrade for guaranteed F seats and let them know he would need a wheelchair or cart between gates. We did what we needed to do to guarantee he wouldn't be stepped on or bumped into either in the airport or by the person in the seated next to him. We took responsibility and spent the extra time and miles/money to plan ahead in order to have what he needed and not inconvenience others.

And it is possible that the last ticket checked in will be the one assigned last--to the COS. I still haven't gotten the answer as to what makes someone feel so special that it is acceptable to disrupt the travel plans of others because they know they need an extra seat but don't book it in advance?

I don't care the motivation. My point is simply that it IS the policy of SWA to handle the issue this way.

And of course it's possible that the extra seat would be the last person checked in but at that pint, I am sure since they already know everyone is there, they would figure out something else.

Why are you so invested in this issue?

I don't care the motivation. My point is simply that it IS the policy of SWA to handle the issue this way.

And of course it's possible that the extra seat would be the last person checked in but at that pint, I am sure since they already know everyone is there, they would figure out something else.

Why are you so invested in this issue?

Because I've been there with someone trying to take 1/3 of the seat that I paid for. I think it's obscene that airlines allow it. I think it's obscene that someone is so self-entitled that they think it's OK to disrupt another persons travel plans because they are to selfish to plan ahead, even when they KNOW they will need a second seat or cause great discomfort to someone else.

I keep asking the question that no one seems to want to or be able to answer. "What makes someone feel so special that it is acceptable to disrupt the travel plans of others because they know they need an extra seat but don't book it in advance?"

Because I've been there with someone trying to take 1/3 of the seat that I paid for. I think it's obscene that airlines allow it. I think it's obscene that someone is so self-entitled that they think it's OK to disrupt another persons travel plans because they are to selfish to plan ahead, even when they KNOW they will need a second seat or cause great discomfort to someone else.

I keep asking the question that no one seems to want to or be able to answer. "What makes someone feel so special that it is acceptable to disrupt the travel plans of others because they know they need an extra seat but don't book it in advance?"

I personally think everybody is just trying to get by the pain that has become commercial air travel.

This thread is mostly discussing people who will get an extra seat, albeit maybe at the gate so it has nothing to do with anybody encroaching on your space.

I've had to sit next to a few plumper people and for the most part, I think they were far more uncomfortable than I was. They always seemed to be contorting themselves to be as small as they could. Maybe some folks don't have the money for an extra seat.

Do you also think it's obscene that the airlines allow taller men with broad shoulders to only purchase one seat? In my experience they seem far more entitled to extra space. I've had to share my seat with shoulders and legs because some guy thinks his manly bits need three sq. ft. of space. Are they also obscenely self-entitled for not buying an extra seat?

You've been very vocal about how you're a special 1% flier and have bumped other people so you could fly. I imagine because you're so special that you wouldn't have to worry about somebody getting an extra seat affecting you.

As for delaying the flight? As somebody that has traveled as much as you say, you should know better than anybody that delays can happen at anytime for any reason. Frankly, you just seem to being showing some hate for anybody who doesn't fit into your ideals (you have a lot to say about children and on the disability threads).

Edited by pixiestyx

I personally think everybody is just trying to get by the pain that has become commercial air travel.

This thread is mostly discussing people who will get an extra seat, albeit maybe at the gate so it has nothing to do with anybody encroaching on your space.

I've had to sit next to a few plumper people and for the most part, I think they were far more uncomfortable than I was. They always seemed to be contorting themselves to be as small as they could. Maybe some folks don't have the money for an extra seat.

Do you also think it's obscene that the airlines allow taller men with broad shoulders to only purchase one seat? In my experience they seem far more entitled to extra space. I've had to share my seat with shoulders and legs because some guy thinks his manly bits need three sq. ft. of space. Are they also obscenely self-entitled for not buying an extra seat?

Actually, yes, they are. Anyone who can't fit into the space allotted without encroaching on someone else should buy a second seat. If someone can't afford the second seat, why are they going on vacation?

You've been very vocal about how you're a special 1% flier and have bumped other people so you could fly. I imagine because you're so special that you wouldn't have to worry about somebody getting an extra seat affecting you.

Yes, I did bump someone--once. (I could have done so many, many times) After my flight was cancelled and I waited all day trying to get on another and REALLY needed to be where I was going. Given that I spent over $100K with the carrier that year, and ONCE I told them I really needed the seat and they spent the money to accommodate me. That wasn't a lack of pre-planning. I flew on the first flight out and got stuck midway due to a combination of weather and mechanical issues. If I hadn't been at my meeting the next morning I would have lost a $3.5 M deal. When you are dealing with the government there are no second chances.

As for delaying the flight? As somebody that has traveled as much as you say, you should know better than anybody that delays can happen at anytime for any reason. Frankly, you just seem to being showing some hate for anybody who doesn't fit into your ideals (you have a lot to say about children and on the disability threads).

I have had more than my share of delays. In fact this year I have had more delays than on times. It's been a joke. But when the delay is neither mechanical or weather related and could have been resolved by someone actually being responsible to begin with, yes, I got a bit testy--as did an entire plane full of people.

I have no problem with children. I have a problem with self-absorbed parents who check out and expect others to deal with their kids.

Edited by ducklite

One of my pet peeves are men, regular size, who spread their knees so that each knee is into the space of the passenger on their side.

Also, men and women who use a laptop on the drop down table. Enviably their elbows extend past the arm rest mark.

Three weeks ago, flying from LAX to EWR in first class, the man behind me was so tall that he kept kicking the back of my calves. He was contorted, doing the best he could, but his legs extended beyond my seat and kept hitting me from underneath.

And let me say, I still have bruises. Nothing could be done, he was very tall and I bruise easily. I'm fluffy, he's tall. We both opted for first class hoping for better accommodations. Sometimes it works, other times not.

We are focusing our frustrations on other travellers, instead we should be ticked at the airlines who squeeze us into the planes. If everyone were a little more understanding and compassionate towards others, it would do much to lessen the trials of air travel.

Three weeks ago, flying from LAX to EWR in first class, the man behind me was so tall that he kept kicking the back of my calves. He was contorted, doing the best he could, but his legs extended beyond my seat and kept hitting me from underneath.

And let me say, I still have bruises. Nothing could be done, he was very tall and I bruise easily. I'm fluffy, he's tall. We both opted for first class hoping for better accommodations. Sometimes it works, other times not.

We are focusing our frustrations on other travellers, instead we should be ticked at the airlines who squeeze us into the planes. If everyone were a little more understanding and compassionate towards others, it would do much to lessen the trials of air travel.

Not sure how he managed to get his legs contorted under the seat by that far to actually kick you unless he was gumby or had knees that bent abnormally.

I agree that it's the airline's fault. Those seats are just terrible and they are only making them smaller. Take your anger out on them, instead of your poor fellow traveler. Compassion for others seems to have disappeared. Now it's everyone for themselves.

• 6 months later...

Think this thread deserves a bump.

Hi.

I am one of your 'fluffy' people. Coming in at around 270lb on last weighing myself. I also have Fibro, unexplained Hypoglycemia, Arthritis and CVS :) I'm going on my first cruise in October with my elderly mother who has Arthritis, Diabetes, CAD and PVD!!

We are doing a roundtrip of Greece and the Adriatic from Venice on NCL Jade.

Any hint/tips/info etc on the Jade greatly appreciated.

I am so glad I found this thread. I am attempting to lose the lbs, but it's going slowly due to all my conditions.

Some of you sound like my kinda fun people :)

H

I have not been on Jade, but I sailed last year on the Jewel, which is the same class. The ship size is good, making it easy to get around. The public spaces are comfortable. But the cabins are tiny, especially the bathrooms and shower. I did not have an accessible cabin. I have sailed on other lines (Disney, Celebrity, Princess and Carnival) so I have a basis for comparison.

Lesa

• 3 weeks later...

I've sailed on the Jade and had a great experience. I'm much bigger than you. the bathroom is divided into 3 small areas: step into the sink area. that is fine, turn left to get into the small shower. turn right and you in a small cubby toilet area. I'm wide and had to turn sideways to get into the toilet. No biggy. (all ships, you have to step up into the bathroom) and the light is on the outside of the door

To respond to the post about the overweight passenger.... Being very big, airline travel is become harder and harder. 17" seats are pure HELL. I only will book flights that I sit with a family or friend. Otherwise I book 2 seats. I will tell you it is very uncomfortable even with 2 seats. Seats aren't flat and so part or your body is on a hump. And with a fat butt, your knees are pushed into the seats in front of you. Getting in your seat is OK but getting out is much harder since the seats are so close.

For those of you that don't know... flying some airlines such as Delta, you can't book 2 seats in one name. You must call and make reservations. That cost you $20 bucks on top of paying for 2 seats. You would assume that since you have 2 seats, you should be able to carry on 2 carry on baggage....Nope, allowed only one.

Basically we only go out of ports where we can drive if we can't get a non-stop flight.

Edited by Ocean Spirit

I'm rather large myself, however the only issue I've run into on board any ship is when the stewards leave their hotel carts in the hallway which is almost always during the daytime.

As someone already said, the biggest problem is on airplanes, especially those lttle regional jobbies. That's why we're really happy that the major lines, even Celebrity, are taking advantage of the West Coast market by adding a bunch of creative itineraries beyond just the Alaska repositioning cruises. We just did a short cruise on Princess and really liked being to drive directly to the port, drop off our luggage and park the car. Then disembarking with no flight schedule worries at all.

But I digress. I checked out some of the inside cabins and found that they are truly too small for a big guy like me. The standard outside cabins were a bit larger, but enough to not be as claustrophobic as the insides.

For those of you that don't know... flying some airlines such as Delta, you can't book 2 seats in one name. You must call and make reservations. That cost you $20 bucks on top of paying for 2 seats. You would assume that since you have 2 seats, you should be able to carry on 2 carry on baggage....Nope, allowed only one.

We fly Delta all of the time. I can tell you for a fact that if you have to call them to book 2 seats in one name that they will not charge you the $20 fee for each ticket for dealing with an agent. Simply because this is something that you cannot do online. Sometimes you have to remind them of this. My husband and I book 3 seats for the two of us if the flight is long enough and the price is cheaper than flying 1st class. We like to stretch out and be comfortable as I have lower back issues and he has hip problems.