Can a 12 year old go in the children's clubs?

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a cruise on the Mariner at the end of August. We will have 2 12 year old's with us along with younger children. I see the age group is up to the age of 11 for the kids clubs. So, what do 12 year old's do if they can't go in the kids clubs? I know they would love to do at least some of the activities.

Thank you!

They would be part of the 12-14 program. The program does get less structured for teens, mainly just "here are some activities you can do if you want" but its up to them if they go or not.

You can ask if they can join the 9-11 group, but it will be up to the staff and depend on availability.

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a cruise on the Mariner at the end of August. We will have 2 12 year old's with us along with younger children. I see the age group is up to the age of 11 for the kids clubs. So, what do 12 year old's do if they can't go in the kids clubs? I know they would love to do at least some of the activities.

Thank you!

Royal Caribbean's Adventure Ocean has age groups up to age 17. It does not stop with age 11. Kids are separated into age groups - there is a 9-11 year-old group, which is what you were probably looking at.

Aquanauts are 3-5; Explorers are 6-8; Voyageur's are 9-11; teens are 12-14 and 15-17.

I have a similar situation. We are traveling with cousins who are 13 and 16, so 2 different age groups. The 13 year old is mine and he is very mature for his age and would have no problem playing in a group of 15-17 year olds. The 16 year old is my nephew and is “globally delayed” he is more on target with the abilities in the 12-14 group. But would be fine in the 15-17 group as well.

How strictly do they stick to the age ranges? Can the boys stick together with one age group or the other or will they have to split with their actual age groups? (To clarify, I’d prefer my 13 year old stay in the 12-14 year old range. But in something like dodgeball or soccer he could easily “hang with the big boys” if it meant playing with his cousin.

I guess, like the OP, Im wondering how strictly they stick to the age ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For teens (12 and older, even though 12 isn't a teen), they are pretty much on their own to do whatever they want. There is the teen center, but from what people have said most don't hang out there and instead they go elsewhere.

The activities, such as they are, are more like how it is for adults. Some activities are planned throughout the day, but it's up to the kids if they go or not.

The teen programs are not structured/supervised like the younger kids programs (3-11).

Hi there we have just returned from a cruise on indy. my sons aged 9 and 12 came with us and when I first went to the kids clubs they said it was fine for my 12yo to join the club with my 9yo as he had only just turned 12. they also let us have the option that he couldn't sign himself out. they do allow this depending on how many children are on board. The only thing to bear in mind is that he then couldn't join the older group which would have been 12-17 as they have to choose one or the other. he loved going to kids club and had some fun. hope this helps.

With that sort of age gap, neither will be allowed out of their "age range". There will be plenty of time for the cousins to do things together...just not in the clubs!

If that’s the case then they will probably neither go. They live out of state from each other they like to hang out together the few times they see each other. Plus, both being only kids, they rarely are attracted to groups.

Maybe it will depend on how many kids are on the sailing. (I’m not doubting you, it’s something we’ve experienced a lot. Most often when it comes to a sport activity my son is allowed to prove he can hang and then allowed to play with the older group. But not always. So, we understand. It isn’t something we expect.)

I guess we will find out in a few days!!

I have a similar situation. We are traveling with cousins who are 13 and 16, so 2 different age groups. The 13 year old is mine and he is very mature for his age and would have no problem playing in a group of 15-17 year olds. The 16 year old is my nephew and is “globally delayed” he is more on target with the abilities in the 12-14 group. But would be fine in the 15-17 group as well.

How strictly do they stick to the age ranges? Can the boys stick together with one age group or the other or will they have to split with their actual age groups? (To clarify, I’d prefer my 13 year old stay in the 12-14 year old range. But in something like dodgeball or soccer he could easily “hang with the big boys” if it meant playing with his cousin.

pretty strict. aging down might be doable. aging up is pretty much rare unless there are only few kids on board and they combine the groups anyway. that being said they are not going let the 16 yp move down most likely as he is much older than the average age of the group.

Our grandson was one week short of turning 12 when we took him on Freedom. While they let him go into the 12-14 group, there were still some things that he couldn't do unless one of us was there (ice skating comes to mind). He was "mature" enough to hang with the older (14-17 YO) kids when they combined activities, but I'm not sure many of them really wanted to hang with a 12YO.

pretty strict. aging down might be doable. aging up is pretty much rare unless there are only few kids on board and they combine the groups anyway. that being said they are not going let the 16 yp move down most likely as he is much older than the average age of the group.

Your last point is exactly what I was going to say. Just magical access to the teen club ends at midnight on a kid’s 18th birthday (though liability enters in there as s/he would be a legal adult), I do not see them letting a high schooler in with middle schoolers.

Here’s another question...

It sounds like you sign them up with the younger group. Do you sign up the teens or do they just show up?

There is registration on the first day, but after that teens can come and go as they like.

Your last point is exactly what I was going to say. Just magical access to the teen club ends at midnight on a kid’s 18th birthday (though liability enters in there as s/he would be a legal adult), I do not see them letting a high schooler in with middle schoolers.

Your logic is flawed.

At 14 years old my son will be a freshman in high school the whole year. But still in with “middle schoolers”. (He turns the next age as he leaves a grade. So, he just left 7th grade and turned 13.

My nephew who goes to school in a different state and district and who’s birthday is in October vs May, only entered High School this year (2017/2018 year) at 15 years old and turned 16. Their 8th and 9th grade is together in “Junior High” while our 9th graders are part of high school.

My 13 year old son currently plays soccer with some 15 year olds because of the way his birthday falls and because we live in a smaller town.

So, that line between high school and middle school can get oddly blurred.

I wasn’t asking for anything special or any kind of judgement. I was just wondering if they are strict about age groups.

Depending on the numbers, they may combine the teen groups together, but as has been mentioned chances are the high schoolers are not going to want to 'hang out' with 12 year olds. And some parents may not want 17 year old boys hanging out with their 12 year old daughters. Particularly since the teen groups do not have any adult supervision.

Since neither group has any adult supervision outside of the teen room, they'll quickly form their own cliques anyways.

Your logic is flawed.

At 14 years old my son will be a freshman in high school the whole year. But still in with “middle schoolers”. (He turns the next age as he leaves a grade. So, he just left 7th grade and turned 13.

My nephew who goes to school in a different state and district and who’s birthday is in October vs May, only entered High School this year (2017/2018 year) at 15 years old and turned 16. Their 8th and 9th grade is together in “Junior High” while our 9th graders are part of high school.

My 13 year old son currently plays soccer with some 15 year olds because of the way his birthday falls and because we live in a smaller town.

So, that line between high school and middle school can get oddly blurred.

I wasn’t asking for anything special or any kind of judgement. I was just wondering if they are strict about age groups.

If you were the parent of a 12 year I,d girl would you want her in a club with a 16 year old?

But I have to disagree with you that you’re not asking for anything special. You are indeed asking that in asking for a kid to be aged up or down to a group not in their age range. Granted others do as well - sometimes to the point like on DCL where kids who are not middle school are wanting to jump up because the kids area is 3-12, so the older kids are bored. All because of parents whose kids “have” to be together.

Depending on the numbers, they may combine the teen groups together, but as has been mentioned chances are the high schoolers are not going to want to 'hang out' with 12 year olds. And some parents may not want 17 year old boys hanging out with their 12 year old daughters. Particularly since the teen groups do not have any adult supervision.

Since neither group has any adult supervision outside of the teen room, they'll quickly form their own cliques anyways.

My son’s not 12. He’s 13. If he were 12 that would defiantly be different.

And I don’t really want them “hanging out”. If they are actively playing a game that’s one thing. (I’ve heard there’s soccer and dodge ball.) but neither of the boys with us are into “hanging out” so that isn’t really a concern for me.

My son’s not 12. He’s 13. If he were 12 that would defiantly be different.

And I don’t really want them “hanging out”. If they are actively playing a game that’s one thing. (I’ve heard there’s soccer and dodge ball.) but neither of the boys with us are into “hanging out” so that isn’t really a concern for me.

I was thinking of other parents who do have 12 year old girls who would not want a 16year old (wasn’t the cousin 16?j in the same program. Because things in middle school and teen programs on ships are - as others have said - not all that structured all the time.

I was thinking of other parents who do have 12 year old girls who would not want a 16year old (wasn’t the cousin 16?j in the same program. Because things in middle school and teen programs on ships are - as others have said - not all that structured all the time.

Oh right. I don’t agree with aging down. (even though I did kind of ask that) I don’t ever mind anyone choosing to age up as long as the rest of the older group isn’t held to the younger standard.

So, my 13 year old would gladly play a game of ball with older kids. Often you find that when there is a mixed group of abilities the more advanced younger kids prefer the older groups.

I guess, my real question is maybe how structured are the groups. It looks like one of those questions where there isn’t a firm answer and we will just see what happens when we get there.

I’m not really all that into the idea of a teens club anyway so it isn’t really something we plan on pushing on them.

Oh right. I don’t agree with aging down. (even though I did kind of ask that) I don’t ever mind anyone choosing to age up as long as the rest of the older group isn’t held to the younger standard.

So, my 13 year old would gladly play a game of ball with older kids. Often you find that when there is a mixed group of abilities the more advanced younger kids prefer the older groups.

I guess, my real question is maybe how structured are the groups. It looks like one of those questions where there isn’t a firm answer and we will just see what happens when we get there.

I’m not really all that into the idea of a teens club anyway so it isn’t really something we plan on pushing on them.

Also, Older kids like your's might go on scavenger hunt around the ship, younger group wouldn't.

Our grandson was one week short of turning 12 when we took him on Freedom. While they let him go into the 12-14 group, there were still some things that he couldn't do unless one of us was there (ice skating comes to mind). He was "mature" enough to hang with the older (14-17 YO) kids when they combined activities, but I'm not sure many of them really wanted to hang with a 12YO.

Yup, that's the issue with this age group. No matter how "mature" a kid thinks they are, if a bunch of 12 and 13YO find out that an 11YO is in their midst, they become scarce VERY quickly.

My 12YO DD has a late September B-day and had "just" turned 12YO when we went on a November Med cruise. She quickly joined up with a mob of other 12YO girls and a few 13YO girls. They had a great time together, but we confided to me that she never admitted that she was in sixth grade, since everyone else was in seventh - they explained that two girls because they were "only" in sixth grade. DD was taking freshman level math class so after helping a girl with her math homework, they never questioned her and she never told.

The kid's club staff members know that if they intermix "little" kids with the older ones too much at the teen club level, they will lose some of these older kids. So going "down" a year is easier that going "up"

When we were on Allure last July, the 12-14 year olds were mixed in with the 15-17 year olds. There were a few activities that were for specific ages such as the ice skating had a session for 12-14 year olds and 15-17 year olds. The same was for the boys basketball session. The majority of time the kids were all in the same room together and just hanging out. Some of the older kids hung out in other areas of the ship, but when the kids were in the club at night, they were all together.

I wish it weren't that way because I think there is a big difference between a 12 year old and a 17 year old, but that's how it was on our cruise.

We didn’t find there to really be any structure to the 12-14 group last summer on Oasis. My 13 year old was disappointed because she enjoyed the 9-11 kids club on our previous cruise. It was basically just a hangout room, kids were meeting up there and coming and going as they wanted. There were some activities going on that they could join in if they wanted, but it was mostly kids and their cellphones sitting about.