Ocean View Balcony Guarantee - Anthem of the seas

Duke Mazer

Anyone book a Balcony Guarantee room? if yes, what did you get? I guess my end question is do they always get

obstructed view balcony and what is that like on Anthem. It's like $800 less for that Guarantee room sounds to much like a good deal, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Anyone book a Balcony Guarantee room? if yes, what did you get? I guess my end question is do they always get

obstructed view balcony and what is that like on Anthem. It's like $800 less for that Guarantee room sounds to much like a good deal, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It's very very very very likely you will get an obstructed balcony. And quite possibly a connecting cabin.

We've booked five XB guaranties on Anthem and only were assigned an obstructed balcony on deck 6 once. Other assigned balcony cabins were regular views on decks 8, 10, 12 and 13.

The obstructed balcony had a decent view over a lifeboat with the top of its roof being at the balcony railing as shown by the shot below. There are some deck 6 obstructed balconies with higher than the boat support davits.

881429747_P3131728(640x480).jpg.b3962aeca7062bf33338751c098ecbce.jpg

We've booked five XB guaranties on Anthem and only were assigned an obstructed balcony on deck 6 once. Other assigned balcony cabins were regular views on decks 8, 10, 12 and 13.

The obstructed balcony had a decent view over a lifeboat with the top of its roof being at the balcony railing as shown by the shot below.

[ATTACH]428738[/ATTACH]

You are touched by the gods! Quick, Duke Mazer, run over and rub Bob's head for good luck! :D

The connecting cabins on some ships (Liberty) have a club chair instead of a love seat. Something has to change to allow for the adjoining door to open. We actually liked the chair as it was more comfortable than some of the sofas we have had in the past.

We did not have any noise from the other cabin but that is the luck of the draw. A bad neighbor that slams doors and drawers is a problem even with no adjoining door.

I've never had a connecting cabin (as we've always picked) What are the down sides, is it smaller?

In addition to the potential of noise through the connecting door, the connecting door results in furniture changes in some staterooms. The most common is a 3-person sofa being replaced by a 2-person loveseat on some ships.

We booked a guarantee room a few years ago and had a great cabin, no issues, lovely view. I booked one a few weeks ago and they gave me a balcony with the tiniest balcony but not obstructed. I called to see if I could get it changed and they said no (which i understand). So once we do this cruise next month we will probably not do a Guarantee again. Unless of course they upgrade us, the cruise is in 3 weeks and there are a lot of rooms open still.

You can only change to the same exact category - if there are any left, call back for a change - don't mention you got your original cabin on a GTY booking.

That is definitely the way to do it.

For one of the first RCI guaranties we had I called to change our assigned cabin to another in the same category to be nearer to friends but made the mistake of mentioning ours was a guarantee assigned cabin. The RC rep said we would have to pay the current much higher pricing for that cabin if we wanted to switch.

I called back the next day and spoke to another rep just stating we were booked in cabin # and wanted to change it for same category cabin # which was done without any extra cost.

The latter is how I do cabin changes for guarantee assigned cabins since that cruise and never have had the RC rep say again there will be extra cost to do so.

Edited by robtulipe

We've done three GTY's on Anthem. They are usually quite a bit cheaper than picking your own cabin. This July when ship had lots of availability they assigned us a great D2 on deck 9. Time before that they did give us an obstructed view on deck 6, but was able to have it switched to 6162 which is technically obstructed, but actually has clear view and huge balcony. Other time they gave us terrible cabin on deck 13 directly below solarium hot tubs. There were no better available cabins in that category so reluctantly paid to upgrade to better location.

My feeling is with a GTY you have nothing to lose. If your're assigned a good cabin (or a bad one in a category with good ones available that you can switch to), great, you saved some money. If not, pay up and pick your own cabin. No savings, but a cabin you're happy with.

Time before that they did give us an obstructed view on deck 6, but was able to have it switched to 6162 which is technically obstructed, but actually has clear view and huge balcony..

Balcony for cabin 6162 is very obstructed as it has the front portion of a lifeboat and its davit in front as shown in the shot below which was taken from North Star. That balcony is indicated by arrow.

Balcony for cabin 6160, just forward of 6162, has a mostly unobstructed view with the above davit to its left or aft side but isn't an extra large one.

283263609_P1040917(3).jpg.3b3c44c915f95cb8937d9e7be36765da.jpg

View from 6162 isn't totally clear, but could see around front of davit and because of extended balcony could also see down length of ship. We were very satisfied.

There are a number of threads showing views from many ob cabins on Quantum and Anthem. If you're assigned one you have to do some homework to check out the view.

View from 6162 isn't totally clear, but could see around front of davit and because of extended balcony could also see down length of ship. We were very satisfied.

Below are two shots of the view from the balcony of cabin 6168 on Anthem. First shot is the view forward showing the davit in front of balcony of cabin 6162. The second is the view aft which is obstructed by a line of lifeboat and their davits. I hate to see what you consider a really badly obstructed view cabin is like.

883953575_P1040875a(2)(640x511).jpg.362f1eea40600bad414df7755858b096.jpg

2108310455_P1040878(640x480)(2).jpg.64e7a747033d6378d88b9840136dc2a5.jpg

How do you find a gty rate verses a pick your cabin rate?

Guarantee's are not available for every cruise and category. If available, they will be shown on Royal's website on the same page once you select the category.

Just booked this last week for nov 10 cruise (darn you Andrew, this is about as last minute i can get)

They were having a sale, balcony gaurentee for price of oceanview. I first checked the uk website, to see availability of balconies. There were alot.

What i wound up with, cabin 13616. It is a connecting room (never did that, but sleep the sleep of the dead on cruises)

One deck under the pool deck. I believe we are under johnny rockets. Believe it or not, being one deck under pool is our preferred location. Where we pick if we can pick. So for us this is a win

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

We've had a connecting balcony cabin twice on Anthem and it wasn't any noisier than the non-connecting ones we've had. The double connecting doors are just inside from the entrance thus are in the passageways between the bathrooms so aren't in the main part of the cabin like on other ships as shown in the shot below.

We had more of a problem with a non-connecting cabin with what I suspect were hearing impaired neighbors having their TV on with volume very loud most of the time including very late at night and door slammer ones.

anthemConnectingDoor02.jpg.881824b9eaf35f7fef0cd718cc18d18e.jpg

• Like 1

I booked Anthem guarantee balcony for our October 18 sailing since when I booked it was over $1,000 more to pick our own cabin. We are a couple that are fine with an interior room because we simply do not spend much time in our cabin. I was pleasantly surprised when I received our room assignment that APPEARS we are the last room on the 6th deck that does not have an obstructed view (6158) - category D4 or D8 from what I can gather. But if it turns out we are obstructed, it will not be anything that upsets us.