Travelscoot battery info

GillCC

These links are what you are looking for I think:

DOT* regulations for airline transportation prohibit Li-ion batteries with a lithium content of more than 25 gram see

TravelScoot's*single capacity* Li-Ion battery contains 24 gram lithium and is approved for air travel.

They are from the Travelscoot website at the end of "About Batteries"

Just FYI, I have the 24g lithium Li-Ion battery, I gate check the scooter and carry the battery on in the travel bag.

Marlee

These links are what you are looking for I think:

DOT* regulations for airline transportation prohibit Li-ion batteries with a lithium content of more than 25 gram see

TravelScoot's*single capacity* Li-Ion battery contains 24 gram lithium and is approved for air travel.

They are from the Travelscoot website at the end of "About Batteries"

Just FYI, I have the 24g lithium Li-Ion battery, I gate check the scooter and carry the battery on in the travel bag.

Marlee

That's what I do, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Prius and a Highlander and transport the travelscoot in them BUT they are in the A/C (or heated if winter) compartment. If I had a sedan I would put the batteries in the passenger compartment if they were the lithium type. If the sealed lead acid I would probably put them in the trunk.

I just purchased my travelscoot, is it safe to store it in mY car tunk with the Li- ion battery

If by asking "is it safe to store it in mY car tunk with the Li- ion battery" you mean that the scooter/battery will be continuously stored in the trunk even on days that you do not intend to use it than it's not safe. The battery should be left at home in a cool place if the scooter is not intended to be used. The frame of the scooter could remain in the trunk.

If you mean storing it in the trunk when transporting to a destination for use than as Katesdale already advised the battery should be removed and stored in the passenger section of the car where it's cooler.

Recommend that you read the owners manual that came with the scooter and or check the website. The website clearly states the following:

It MUST NOT be exposed to excessive heat, (i.e. inside a parked car for a prolonged period of time on hot and sunny days) because it could catch fire."

Here's the linkhttp://www.travelscoot.com/batteries.htm

Edited by xxoocruiser

Beware!! Do not try to take the Li-ion batteries through a Chinese airport...they have different regulations to what seems like the rest of the world! They would not allow my batteries through security even though the airline was happy to carry them. It took 3.5 stressful hours ( with our bags offloaded) to get them to seek special security clearance. They originally said I would have to leave the batteries behind.

I will be writing to Hardy about it.

Beware!! Do not try to take the Li-ion batteries through a Chinese airport...they have different regulations to what seems like the rest of the world! They would not allow my batteries through security even though the airline was happy to carry them. It took 3.5 stressful hours ( with our bags offloaded) to get them to seek special security clearance. They originally said I would have to leave the batteries behind.

I will be writing to Hardy about it.

It's unfortunate that you had a such a difficult experience but one thing people sometimes fail to understand is that USA Regulations don't usually transfer over to other countries.

Having worked and traveled through out China , I found that regulations vary greatly even between Regions within China and one cannot assume that the same USA Regulations will apply. China can set there own security regulations despite what Hardy has posted on the Travelscoot website. In fact Hardy specifically references DOT, which is the USA Department of Transportation, on it's website, Implying that the guidelines posted are for travel within the USA. It's up to the individual to research the regulations specific to each airline and airport when traveling outside the USA.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your snarky reply. Hardy was really helpful when I had contacted him! He as had the same experience in Beijing himself. He is going to put a list on the website of the airports people have found problematic.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

First post, so please be gentle :)

I like so many others am a very happy Travelscoot owner. I got mine about five years ago, and often get stopped and quizzed about it. I have taken it on airlines in Australia quite a bit. Have just changed over the drive belt for the first time, and on the original SLA batteries which I bought separately in Australia on Hardy's advice. We are now about to go to Europe for the first time in forty years. I used to fold the TS into the duffel bag, but that eventually fell apart and I bought a much stronger one, and labelled it with disability stickers. I found that dismantling and unpacking and reerecting the scooter before and after flying used up most of my energy. However, I have now watched Hardy's video where he shows what he does, just folding down the handlebars, covering them and leaving off the seat back. I am going to follow his advice on this trip, where we take several flights. I anticipate no problems on ship but the flying part is different. I want to be able to offload the scooter and battery as one piece and not have baggage handlers complain of its weight [i have had that happen in Australia with my current duffel bag arrangement, total weight about 23kg].

I thought about getting a lithium battery, even a safer LiFePO4 battery, but frankly since this is our first trip overseas in decades, we want to do without the hassle of being challenged by airline staff and having potential holdups in strange cities, or even having to surrender the battery in the customs hall. The latest news about lithium battery fires on planes must also be making staff jittery.

So, I have been looking at alternatives which don't need explanations and hassles. I first looked for the lightest 12v 12Ah SLA battery I could find. There's one that weighs 3.25Kg - about 7.2 pounds. That would lead to a combined weight of about 20 KG. which I would be handing over. However, the specs on that battery look quite poor. On the other hand, I thought I might get a 12v 9AH battery of better quality. There's a Vision battery HP12-50W 12v 9Ah which only weighs 2.8kg or 6.2lbs. That would be a combined weight just over 18kgs and I foresee that as a good outcome. The question is, would that provide enough power to get me round? I weigh 82kg or 180lb and I never run out of charge with my current original [and presumably degraded] batteries. Does anyone know of a TS user moving to a lower rated battery like that? I came across one who says they use a 7Ah as a backup and use the TS charger with it, but I would love to hear of more.

Thanks for any advice.

Peter

Adelaide

I've had my Travelscoot just over five years. It came with SLA batteries. I'm not a battery expert but the batteries that came with it were 14ah so I would say switching to 7ah batteries would probably cut your distance in half. I switched to lithium batteries last year because of the weight. My only trip outside the U.S. with lithium batteries has been to Australia on Qantas airlines. Qantas made me show all the paperwork on the lithium batteries. The only airline in the U.S. to ask me for paperwork has been American Airlines. I always take the paperwork just in case I'm asked for it. If you go with LiFePO4 you may not be able to find the proper paperwork. I don't know about flying in Europe with lithium batteries but maybe someone else can help you with that.

I flew from Wash DC to Rome with the lithium batteries on American Airline and had no issues and did not have to show any paperwork. I've flown numerous domestic flights also on various airlines and to date have only been asked one time if it was "airline approved". I've been using my TS for 4 years.

Edited by nieciez

I've had my Travelscoot just over five years. It came with SLA batteries. I'm not a battery expert but the batteries that came with it were 14ah so I would say switching to 7ah batteries would probably cut your distance in half. I switched to lithium batteries last year because of the weight. My only trip outside the U.S. with lithium batteries has been to Australia on Qantas airlines. Qantas made me show all the paperwork on the lithium batteries. The only airline in the U.S. to ask me for paperwork has been American Airlines. I always take the paperwork just in case I'm asked for it. If you go with LiFePO4 you may not be able to find the proper paperwork. I don't know about flying in Europe with lithium batteries but maybe someone else can help you with that.

I just returned from Rome in June. Not only did I have 3 Lithium-Ion batteries (my wife and I both have Travelscoots) but I have 12 Lithium-Ion batteries for my Oxygen Concentrator. I was pulled out of line at one the the US Airways stations I whipped out all the paperwork for the batteries. The supervisor came over and said I was the first person who had all the paperwork ready to go and said it normally took a half an hour to approve a person with so many Lithium-Ion batteries, she waved me through in less than 5 minutes. I think I just overwhelmed them with paperwork :).

I just returned from Rome in June. Not only did I have 3 Lithium-Ion batteries (my wife and I both have Travelscoots) but I have 12 Lithium-Ion batteries for my Oxygen Concentrator. I was pulled out of line at one the the US Airways stations I whipped out all the paperwork for the batteries. The supervisor came over and said I was the first person who had all the paperwork ready to go and said it normally took a half an hour to approve a person with so many Lithium-Ion batteries, she waved me through in less than 5 minutes. I think I just overwhelmed them with paperwork :).

Good job born2cruise! Being prepared is the way to go. I carry the paper work too but thankfully so far have not had to 'show' it. But, better safe than sorry!

• 3 weeks later...
If by asking "is it safe to store it in mY car tunk with the Li- ion battery" you mean that the scooter/battery will be continuously stored in the trunk even on days that you do not intend to use it than it's not safe. The battery should be left at home in a cool place if the scooter is not intended to be used. The frame of the scooter could remain in the trunk.

If you mean storing it in the trunk when transporting to a destination for use than as Katesdale already advised the battery should be removed and stored in the passenger section of the car where it's cooler.

Recommend that you read the owners manual that came with the scooter and or check the website. The website clearly states the following:

It MUST NOT be exposed to excessive heat, (i.e. inside a parked car for a prolonged period of time on hot and sunny days) because it could catch fire."

Here's the linkhttp://www.travelscoot.com/batteries.htm

Thanks for bringing that to our attention...I had overlooked it.

• 3 months later...

On the other hand, I thought I might get a 12v 9AH battery of better quality. There's a Vision battery HP12-50W 12v 9Ah which only weighs 2.8kg or 6.2lbs. That would be a combined weight just over 18kgs and I foresee that as a good outcome. The question is, would that provide enough power to get me round? I weigh 82kg or 180lb and I never run out of charge with my current original [and presumably degraded] batteries. Does anyone know of a TS user moving to a lower rated battery like that? I came across one who says they use a 7Ah as a backup and use the TS charger with it, but I would love to hear of more.

Thanks for any advice.

Peter

Adelaide

I bought the 9AH batteries and went around Europe with them. I tested them out beforehand by doing laps of our airport terminal here (from one end to the other is 750 metres, so up and back is almost a mile. I did 4 laps for six kilometres/4 miles, then an extended excursion round our local home improvement megastore before the amber light!) In Europe, I never once got even into the amber warning zone, despite travelling lots of kms at times eg around Rome and Barcelona. In the latter city, we met a couple from the US where the wife had a TS with Lithium battery: they've never been asked about their battery. I always am, but one thing I have learnt is that airline staff only know one question, and that is, "Is it a dry cell battery?" to which they think the correct answer is "yes". Well, an SLA battery is not a dry cell battery, but we all know they are the safe ones to transport. In Ireland, a helpful airport staff member behind me whispered "just say it's a dry cell"!

Now I have bought two LiFePO4 batteries in the same format as the SLA. They are only 7.5 AH, but I am predicting that they will do the job for me. I am keeping my 9AH SLA's just in case.

Peter

Adelaide, AUS

Coming home from a cruise on a two legged flight, gate checking my TravelScoot on each leg. When I tried to install the battery following the second leg, I found it impossible to do, without removing the seat and yoke, then spreading (kicking) the rear wheels further apart, install the battery, and force the yoke in to place, without damaging the battery, The flight crews help, as this was the end of the day for them, and they wanted to get out of there.

After I got home, I check with my dealer, to find out what the measurement was across the yoke legs, checking a unit, in the shop, they determined the outside measurement of the legs to be 15", checking mine, I found it to be just under l4", I wonder what happened, but for mishandling by the baggage handlers, at the last airport, or the ones at the final airport. :eek: :eek: As the people I deal with are the airlines, I emailed them, and am now waiting for a reply, without holding my breath. :(

The unit is now in a local aluminum welding shop, to have the yoke straightened out.

An idea, to prevent this from happening again, to myself, or anyone else, is to cut a piece of 2x3 or 2x4 wood, a little longer than the battery, to strap in as a dummy battery, when gate checking your unit, and carry it in your bag, when using the battery.

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California Coastal

29th cruise - Caribbean Princess, 29 Mar. - 05 Apr. 2014, 7 Day, Western Caribbean, Houston Ret.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 17 - 24 June 2014, 7 Day, Vancouver - Skagway Ret

31st cruise - Royal Princess, 10 - 27 Sep. 2014, 17 Day TA Copenhagen - New York

32nd cruise - Royal Princess 19 - 29 Dec, 2014, 10 Day, Christmas, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

33rd cruise - Royal Princess 29 Dec - 08 Jan. 2014/2015, 10 Day, New Years, Fort Lauderdale. Ret.

Coming home from a cruise on a two legged flight' date=' gate checking my TravelScoot on each leg. When I tried to install the battery following the second leg, I found it impossible to do, without removing the seat and yoke, then spreading (kicking) the rear wheels further apart, install the battery, and force the yoke in to place, without damaging the battery, The flight crews help, as this was the end of the day for them, and they wanted to get out of there.

After I got home, I check with my dealer, to find out what the measurement was across the yoke legs, checking a unit, in the shop, they determined the outside measurement of the legs to be [b']15"[/b], checking mine, I found it to be just under l4", I wonder what happened, but for mishandling by the baggage handlers, at the last airport, or the ones at the final airport. :eek: :eek: As the people I deal with are the airlines, I emailed them, and am now waiting for a reply, without holding my breath. :(

The unit is now in a local aluminum welding shop, to have the yoke straightened out.

An idea, to prevent this from happening again, to myself, or anyone else, is to cut a piece of 2x3 or 2x4 wood, a little longer than the battery, to strap in as a dummy battery, when gate checking your unit, and carry it in your bag, when using the battery.

Cato :)

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't considered the baggage handlers damaging the Travelscoot that way.

• 1 month later...
Now I have bought two LiFePO4 batteries in the same format as the SLA. They are only 7.5 AH, but I am predicting that they will do the job for me. I am keeping my 9AH SLA's just in case.

Peter

Adelaide, AUS

The LiFePO4 batteries http://www.hollyhockbatteries.com.au/12V_7Ah_Fusion_Lithium_Deep_Cycle_Battery.html batteries have been quite successful. They weigh less than 3 kg total. I tested them by riding around my local roads, tracking on my iPad with a mileage app. I got to ten kilometres (6 miles) before I stopped out of boredom. I trialled them for a month then took them to Singapore. No questions at all on departure. In Singapore they just wanted to be assured that the power was under 160W. While I would have preferred 9Ah or 10Ah, I found with my weight of about 85kg (190lb) these had enough juice to carry me. However, I made sure I went out each day with a charger and plugged in at lunchtime just to be safe. (I also discovered on one occasion why it's a good idea to go out with a spare drive belt and tools!

• 2 years later...

Gooday all.

I've just been doing some searches on Travelscoot batteries and came up with this site.

Not cruise related, but can someone confirm that 2 x 12v 9ah SLA (AGM) batteries wired in series would power the TS for a reasonable distance ?

I'm only little at 70kgs

Gooday all.

I've just been doing some searches on Travelscoot batteries and came up with this site.

Not cruise related, but can someone confirm that 2 x 12v 9ah SLA (AGM) batteries wired in series would power the TS for a reasonable distance ?

I'm only little at 70kgs

Not certain anyone on this forum will be able to give you an answer your question as weight of the end user is not the only thing to consider. Speed being driven, incline as well as type of terrain factor into the projected distance.

Not certain anyone on this forum will be able to give you an answer your question as weight of the end user is not the only thing to consider. Speed being driven, incline as well as type of terrain factor into the projected distance.

Thanks for that.:cool:

Yeah, I realise it's a bit of a loaded question but I'm probably asking whether it would run or not on 2x 12v9ah, more so than looking for run time.

I have no need for long distance and I won't be doing any off-road/mountain climbing stuff. Mostly local streets and shopping centres. :)