Elation or Liberty?

RedLightVegas

My friend and I are in the process of booking a last minute cruise for the end of October and are going back and forth between these two boats so I wanted to get some input from you all! Which would you choose?

They're both the same price (within $2 of each other) for an oceanview room.

They both leave the week we need them to (Oct 21 and Oct 22)

The Liberty is a bigger ship but the cruise is only 4 days against the Elation which is 5 days.

The Elation goes to HMC and Nassau, Liberty goes to Freeport and Nassau.

I've been on the Liberty before and it's a nice pretty ship, but I like the old boats because they have a ton of character. I'm just afraid with 2 days at sea on the Elation we'll get kind of bored, especially with one pool.

The drive to Jacksonville is longer for us than the drive to Port Canaveral by about an hour and a half - 2 hours.

So, with this, which would you all pick? I've been to Nassau before, she hasn't. Nassau is the only place in the Bahamas I've been to.

If you want a place to sit in your room besides the bed or desk stool choose the liberty. The balcony rooms that were added are so small they don't even have a chair! We brought in a balcony chair so one of us would have a place to sit. Also the Elation is smaller than Liberty so will be rocky if you encounter any seas at all. Also didn't like the open shelving concept nor the bathroom vanity not having any room to put anything.

I quite enjoy the Liberty, and I have a cruise booked on the Elation for next May (when she has repositioned to Canaveral). So I am of no use.

However, if the cost of the cruise is the same either way, consider whether that extra sea day of relaxation is something to look forward to - no need to "go do something", just hang out by the pool reading a book or people-watching, or play mini-golf, or hang out in the atrium bar area, or have a long nap in one of the upper decks. Or maybe for you and your party, that's another day of "nothing to do but drink and we don't drink" and you like to keep busy...in which case the less sea days the better.

If you do like to drink, the extra day brings the added cost of one more day of Cheers!...

Also for me, the shorter drive might be a factor. Though I've got a cruise booked out of Tampa next Sept, which will add over an hour to our drive compared to Canaveral. But that is because of the itinerary: that's the closest place Carnival sails out of to Cuba.

So yeah, my opinions are pretty useless.

:)

We're going to do the Liberty and stay an extra day or 2 at the beach in Cocoa afterward.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Now wait a minute.

I didn’t get to vote.

I’ve been on both and I’d go with the Elation because of the ports. There’s no comparison between HMC and Freeport. Not even close.

Elation just went through refurbishment and it was in good shape before that.

Hope you have fun with your friend.

I have been on both, 5 days on the Elation to Nassau and HMC and 4 days on Liberty to Freeport and Princess Cays. So very similar!

Both were great cruises, and the Elation has the better ports; however, HMC is never a guarantee so you definitely don’t want to pick a cruise based on that stop alone.

I much preferred the Liberty and Port Canaveral over Jacksonville and the port there. Even with the extra day, I think I’d choose the Liberty. :)

My friend and I are in the process of booking a last minute cruise for the end of October and are going back and forth between these two boats so I wanted to get some input from you all! Which would you choose?

They're both the same price (within $2 of each other) for an oceanview room.

They both leave the week we need them to (Oct 21 and Oct 22)

The Liberty is a bigger ship but the cruise is only 4 days against the Elation which is 5 days.

The Elation goes to HMC and Nassau, Liberty goes to Freeport and Nassau.

I've been on the Liberty before and it's a nice pretty ship, but I like the old boats because they have a ton of character. I'm just afraid with 2 days at sea on the Elation we'll get kind of bored, especially with one pool.

The drive to Jacksonville is longer for us than the drive to Port Canaveral by about an hour and a half - 2 hours.

So, with this, which would you all pick? I've been to Nassau before, she hasn't. Nassau is the only place in the Bahamas I've been to.

For me, Half Moon Cay will beat out Freeport any day of the week. It's heaven on earth.

• 2 months later...