A few questions about Nassau

Yes, I would use cash That way you know exactly what you are paying and not risking having your card compromised.

We've gotten free but slow WiFi at McDonalds. We've gotten better WiFi at Starbucks, but that required a purchase. Ask if the WiFi is working before you purchase.

"Free" wifi sometimes comes with a "price". If you are reading the sports news, fine. Don't do anything that you don't mind having hacked. Cruise ship ports are a target rich environment for hackers. Bunch of people who don't want to pay data charges doing stupid stuff over open wifi.

It isn't free but it's like $2 unlimited and very good at the library. Kind of an unusual building, an old jail that had the cells (about 6-8 cells) ringed around a central core and each cell now has a central bookshelf and a table or 2. You may have to clear a space on the table but I've enjoyed the experience.

Roy

It isn't free but it's like $2 unlimited and very good at the library. Kind of an unusual building, an old jail that had the cells (about 6-8 cells) ringed around a central core and each cell now has a central bookshelf and a table or 2. You may have to clear a space on the table but I've enjoyed the experience.

Roy

Good to know, thanks!

Credit is always the way to go. I prefer not to carry much cash with me. Keep receipts for credit card transactions though. Cash is of course good to, if you worry is avoiding over charges. I have been to Nassau many times (only once on a cruise) and never had an issue.

As others have stated never use a debit card. It is best not to use a debit card anywhere, even at home.

Bahamas uses U.S. Dollars so no worries about any currency issues.

My last several cruises to Nassau, I did not get off the ship, so I have a few questions about my upcoming trip:

1. Is cash the safest method of payment vs credit/debit?

I use credit cards all over the world, and the only know place that my credit card was compromised was in my home town. Credit cards are protected against fraud. It's safer than money. Have $1000.00 in your wallet, and it gets stolen, you lost $1000.00. Have a credit card with a $50,000.00 limit, and you loose nothing!

2. Where can I get free WiFi so that I am not paying cell data charges?

With ATT I only pay $10.00 for unlimited calls, texts and data for the day in port. Than I never have to run around, trying to use public wifi someplace that can easily be hacked. See the first item you were concerned about. Safety of money, than you want to use public wifi, which is just as bad. Basically what I'm saying is if you are concerned about one item, you should be concerned about all items.

Thanks!

I don't know what you are planning in Nassau, but other than eating out, getting some drinks, you should need that much money anyway. If I'm in a restaurant, I pull out my credit card with the full confidence that I am protected.

I always bring cash for small purchases and credit cards for other purchases. I also leave a credit card on-board ship. While I have never had a problem in Nassau (or any other Bahama/Caribbean port of call). This give me piece of mind. If my card I use on the island is compromised, I can contest the charges, and use one of my "backup cards" for the rest of the cruise as things get sorted out.

In regards to debit cards, I would not use them anywhere except to withdraw money from a bank's ATM. While some banks may treat fraudalent use of debit cards like credit cards, there may be issues if you have autopay for bills, when a fraudalent activity occurs. There is also an issue with "holds"

Obviously you should never access email or anything else that requires a login when using public wifi.

I second that! Both my husband and I have gotten our Facebook accounts hacked by logging in using free WiFi :(. That was years ago, and now we never use public internet for things requiring a logon...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I second that! Both my husband and I have gotten our Facebook accounts hacked by logging in using free WiFi :(. That was years ago, and now we never use public internet for things requiring a logon...

All you have to do is make sure the login occurs within an encrypted SSL session and never use a public PC.

Interesting comments about WiFi. I am frequently on public WiFi (Panera, Starbucks) checking emails, facebook, anything and everything. Except the only thing I don't do (for concern of being hacked) is check bank balances, or make any kind of online purchase. Always thought I was safe...:confused:

Interesting comments about WiFi. I am frequently on public WiFi (Panera, Starbucks) checking emails, facebook, anything and everything. Except the only thing I don't do (for concern of being hacked) is check bank balances, or make any kind of online purchase. Always thought I was safe...:confused:

I guess that would depend on what type of information is in your emails/facebook posts/etc. Just ask yourself if you'd be OK if some else (a hacker, who is trying to find personal information) was able to log in to those accounts. Depending on what you email/post, the answer might be yes, or it might be no.

Logins SHOULD use an encrypted page.

You should see HTTPS in the location strip at the top. If that is the case, the transaction is encrypted and should be OK.

We bring 1 credit card just in case but always pay cash for cabs, drinks, beach chairs, food, even souvenirs and liquors. If we where shopping for watches, jewelry or cameras I would pay by credit card. anything that you would some kind of insurance for or wouldn't want to carry that much cash.

DH and I have separate credit cards (different companies) so if one gets lost or compromised it doesn't ruin our vacation.

Another thing to remember is that the VOOM you are using on the ship is not secure. I just got off Allure recently and my McAfee Mobile Security kept sending me messages to advise it was not secure.

This is just telling you that the network has no security key on it.

As long as your browsing on sites that use HTTPS on all pages and have a valid security certificate then you're almost sure to be fine. If you're site has a landing page that is HTTP (unencrypted) then redirects to an HTTPS (encrypted) login page, then you could be in trouble if you're not paying attention to certain things.

If you are surfing the web on un-encrypted sites (HTTP), then yes, public Wi-Fi is just as risky as handing out your login information on a post-it note in port.

Honestly, in a touristy area like Nassau it's more likely that you would connect to fake hotspot which is incredibly dangerous because then someone could monitor keystrokes which could compromise a ton of your information. Also, of course, always have file sharing off and do not make your device visible to others on the same network.

If you want to be 100% safe then use a VPN when connecting to the ships or any public Wi-Fi.

Edited by mattb31

This is just telling you that the network has no security key on it.

As long as your browsing on sites that use HTTPS on all pages and have a valid security certificate then you're almost sure to be fine. If you're site has a landing page that is HTTP (unencrypted) then redirects to an HTTPS (encrypted) login page, then you could be in trouble if you're not paying attention to certain things.

If you are surfing the web on un-encrypted sites (HTTP), then yes, public Wi-Fi is just as risky as handing out your login information on a post-it note in port.

Honestly, in a touristy area like Nassau it's more likely that you would connect to fake hotspot which is incredibly dangerous because then someone could monitor keystrokes which could compromise a ton of your information. Also, of course, always have file sharing off and do not make your device visible to others on the same network.

If you want to be 100% safe then use a VPN when connecting to the ships or any public Wi-Fi.

Doesn't RCI now block VPN's? I know I had turn off Nord on Allure and Oasis.