Splendor to Hawaii, what are the best tours?

wishonlife

The port in maui is on the part of the island opposite of where the best luau is found. We rented a car and booked a room since our carnival trip was in port overnight. It was a lot of fun. Just watch the drive to hana. They call it the drive to divorce because it is so curvy. :halo:

Our tour guide also called it that.:)

Roberts tours booked with them and found out carnival used them but cost more. Been a few years but liked them on all the islands visited they got us in quick to pearl harbor too

We did our 4 hour tour to Waimea canyon with them.

They were late getting to the port, had to pick up another couple on the other side of the island, and got us back in about 2 1/2 hours with tour guide moving us along in the three stops we made. Lots of scenic overlooks wish we would have stopped at and now sorry I didnt ask the tour guide why we were not stopping.

Wrote to Roberts asking them about this with no response.

Yes, we did. Never again. We got so far it would have been too long to turn around, so we were committed if we wanted to make the ship on time. Let me tell you how bad it was.

One lane road, no guard rail and a cliff straight down to the ocean on one side and a solid rock cliff on the other. We encountered a school bus coming the other way and of course there is no way to pass. So we had to back up until we found a hole in the cliff, pull the car into the hole, and the other vehicle can pass.

I could not drive more than 5 miles per hour, nor could I take my eyes off the road right in front of me. Wife looked out ahead and alerted me if anyone was coming so I could start looking for a cliff hole to pull into. It worked Ok. We knew we had about 10 miles of that stuff, and every time we passed a mile marker we let out a sigh of relief and cheered. We were honestly worried about getting back to the ship on time but it all worked out.

I just don't see how the people who live out there ever get used to that, but I guess they do.

Uh oh. We are planning on driving that way. Where is good to turn around if we want to avoid the bad parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've always said...if you bought an airline ticket to Hawaii, flew all the way over there, stepped off the plane for 1 minute and soaked in the scenery then got back on the plane and flew back home...it would have been worth every penny!

Hawaii is Heaven on earth!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Uh oh. We are planning on driving that way. Where is good to turn around if we want to avoid the bad parts.

Once you go through Kapalua and stop at theNakalele Blowhole (@ mile marker 38.5 I believe), head back toward Kapalua. If you plan to go to the blowhole, please know flip flops are not recommended for the hike and be sure to find the heart shaped rock! :hearteyes:The rule of thumb is to stay on dry rocks, there have been many fatalities from people who got too close, not a joke!:hearteyes: I tried to edit this...I have no idea where there is the smile with hearts at the end-I apologize!

Edited by WaggesAZ
I have no idea where there is the smile with hearts at the end-I apologize!

Any place where people stop to look at scenery. Driver will miss out on a lot as you must pay close attention to driving.

On a chunk of the journey, driver will miss out on everything except for trying to not get killed! Not a pleasant driving experience.

The turn-around point is probably driven by your ship's timeline. Know how long it took to get from the ship to where you are, and how long it will take to get back.

In our case getting from the ship to Lahaina was easy. The roads are four-lane divided Interstate-type highways. We had lunch, visited a coffee plantation, and walked around the waterfront. We stopped at some scenic places along the way, and walked around to get some amazing photos. It was sort of a spur-of the moment decision to continue around the island, and not very well thought out. We knew we had had it when we happened upon a fellow selling shaved ice out of a large van, on the side of the road. He said we had 10 miles of tough stuff to go and we were already too far to turn around.

If you are not stopping and touring places like we did, you may have plenty of time to turn around when the going gets tough, and make the ship on time.

Once you go through Kapalua and stop at theNakalele Blowhole (@ mile marker 38.5 I believe), head back toward Kapalua. If you plan to go to the blowhole, please know flip flops are not recommended for the hike and be sure to find the heart shaped rock! :hearteyes:The rule of thumb is to stay on dry rocks, there have been many fatalities from people who got too close, not a joke!:hearteyes: I tried to edit this...I have no idea where there is the smile with hearts at the end-I apologize!

I’m confused about where you started from. Kapalua looks like it’s just a bit up from Lahaina (where we are starting). We are planning on going to Iao Valley which is on the other side of west maui; so plan to go at least that far.

I’m confused about where you started from. Kapalua looks like it’s just a bit up from Lahaina (where we are starting). We are planning on going to Iao Valley which is on the other side of west maui; so plan to go at least that far.

When you leave Lahaina, you will head out on 30, not toward Kapalua but toward Wailea. Take 30 as though you are going to Wailuku. When you are approaching Wailuku, You will hit the light at Main Street, and then go left toward 'Iao Valley. What day of the week and times will you be in port? I ask because the Swap Meet is very close to 'Iao Valley and it is full of wonderful, local artisans and is a great place to get souvenirs. Also, if you head that way, not sure if you follow Top Chef or not, but Chef Sheldon Simeon's restaurant is close by too - Tin Roof. If not a Saturday, after 'Iao Valley if you don't have other plans, there's a fun little town called Paia. If you grab lunch there, and head further down the road to Ho'okipa Beach, the kite surfers are usually out and fun to watch and under the life guard to tower to the right when looking at the ocean is a great spot to see turtles resting on the beach. :D I hope I helped!

When you leave Lahaina, you will head out on 30, not toward Kapalua but toward Wailea. Take 30 as though you are going to Wailuku. When you are approaching Wailuku, You will hit the light at Main Street, and then go left toward 'Iao Valley. What day of the week and times will you be in port? I ask because the Swap Meet is very close to 'Iao Valley and it is full of wonderful, local artisans and is a great place to get souvenirs. Also, if you head that way, not sure if you follow Top Chef or not, but Chef Sheldon Simeon's restaurant is close by too - Tin Roof. If not a Saturday, after 'Iao Valley if you don't have other plans, there's a fun little town called Paia. If you grab lunch there, and head further down the road to Ho'okipa Beach, the kite surfers are usually out and fun to watch and under the life guard to tower to the right when looking at the ocean is a great spot to see turtles resting on the beach. :D I hope I helped!

Thanks. We will be there on a tues and wed

Not sure where you're from, but if you rent a car and to the Road to Hana, you will not use the entire tank of gas. I did not do enough research and got snookered into the free upgrade if I paid for a tank of gas. The spouse was happy because he got to drive a sports car instead of a compact, but I was cranky that I blew my low, low, rental rate. It was still beautiful trip though.

If you are going to Iao Valley, take Highway 30 (Honoapi'ilani Highway) from Lahaina towards Ma'alaea - NOT toward Kapalua. Continue on it past Ma'alaea to its terminus in Wailuku where you can turn on to the road into Iao Valley. All very decent roads. Google this for simpler instructions, but do note there is no need to go the other way, which we certainly agree is dangerous.

On a chunk of the journey, driver will miss out on everything except for trying to not get killed! Not a pleasant driving experience.

The turn-around point is probably driven by your ship's timeline. Know how long it took to get from the ship to where you are, and how long it will take to get back.

In our case getting from the ship to Lahaina was easy. The roads are four-lane divided Interstate-type highways. We had lunch, visited a coffee plantation, and walked around the waterfront. We stopped at some scenic places along the way, and walked around to get some amazing photos. It was sort of a spur-of the moment decision to continue around the island, and not very well thought out. We knew we had had it when we happened upon a fellow selling shaved ice out of a large van, on the side of the road. He said we had 10 miles of tough stuff to go and we were already too far to turn around.

If you are not stopping and touring places like we did, you may have plenty of time to turn around when the going gets tough, and make the ship on time.

As a rule we do private tours and make sure we are back to the port well before sail time. For Hana did a ships tour, paid substantially more than we would have if we rented a car and so glad we did it this way.

We are taking the Splendor to Hawaii in October 2018 for our honeymoon. I am wondering what tours are the best to take? Have you booked through outside companies before? If so, where and what tour company? We have been on cruises before but we really want to have a ton of fun on this one since it will be our honeymoon.

TIA!!

I believe I may be on your cruise. I belong to a group on another social media site, and we have a friend that conducts the most wonderful tours. Been booking with him for years and he is the best. Not a lot of spots left, but there are always cancellations. Maybe try to find our group, or msg me and I will point you in the right direction.

On that same cruise I also booked a hike up Diamond Head through the ship. Looks pretty cool.

Doing Hawaii next year on a Journey's cruise. Wanted to do a helo tour, but after a couple of newsworthy crashes (Grand Canyon and NYC), have been rethinking that. Of course, what I really wanted to do was a HALO sky dive! But wife said she didn't want to cruise back by herself! LOL

Also, have you posted on the Hawaii port of call board? Might gain more responses?

Which group can I find out about the tours? I would love to know more! Thank you!!!!!

I believe I may be on your cruise. I belong to a group on another social media site, and we have a friend that conducts the most wonderful tours. Been booking with him for years and he is the best. Not a lot of spots left, but there are always cancellations. Maybe try to find our group, or msg me and I will point you in the right direction.

On that same cruise I also booked a hike up Diamond Head through the ship. Looks pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Search for the date of your cruise on Facebook. There are several groups on there that have private tour information.

Which group can I find out about the tours? I would love to know more! Thank you!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Some personal recommendations:

Hilo - Ricky's Tours / http://www.rickystourshawaii.com/ - (rickystours@yahoo.com)

Kona - Kona Island Tours / http://www.marylousbigislandguidedtours.com/ - (kensmet@hotmail.com)

(Ken and his wife Marylou conduct tours in Hilo and Kona)

Maui - Road to Hana Tour by Valley Isle Excursions / https://www.tourmaui.com/tours/road-to-hana-tour/

(A bit pricey and long, but a very good tour. We did visit Charles Lindbergh's grave)

Thanks! We have feelers into all 3 as well.

Search for the date of your cruise on Facebook. There are several groups on there that have private tour information.

Thank you for the advice. Looks like Maui is going to be the difficult one to schedule. Not opposed to renting a car if need be.

We had an overnight in Honolulu, so that morning we went Shark diving! We rented a car the day before and just stored it in an overnight garage. It was thru Hawaiian Shark Encounters and was the highlight of the trip. One of the most amazing experiences of my life!!!

I would never get into the sea even if they are asleep

Carnival Splendor...no overnights. Port time 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. No tour operators listed in this thread will pick up that late.

For our Eclipse cruise the tour last 9:30 Hrs, if your tour starts at 10am you have enough time to return to the Splendor on time, I'm sure that at the pier will be several tour operators offering the Adventure to Hana.

Bon Voyage