Disney Magic Cruise Activity Questions

3Putt77

My wife, 10 year old son and I are doing the 4 night cruise on April 25th to Key West, Nassau and Castaway Cay. Unfortunately most of the on board activities are already sold out. Especially anything alcohol related such as whiskey or martini tasting. Do you think we're out of luck or do they typically add classes? Seems crazy to pay for a premium cruise and not have an opportunity to experience the offered activities.

The on shore activities and mostly available but wondered if we're better off booking when we get there so we can eye up the non Disney service providers in advance? Specifically we're interested in the:

Catamaran Sail and Reef Snorkeling (N14) in Nassau for $59 each. The price seems reasonable but since this would take most of our day I don't want to choose badly.

Also at Castaway Cay they have a Castaway Cay Getaway Package (C05) which includes snorkeling and a bicycle tour for $44 each. The troll boat fishing (C61) might be something my son would love also assuming the fish are biting.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide on these or on any other tours you think would work for a couple with a 10 year old son. This is our first Disney cruise so we need all the help we can get.

There are very few onboard activities that carry a fee or require advance registration...so I'm not sure what you mean when you say they are all sold out. If you are looking at adult dining, about half of those reservations are held back till embarkation. So if placing your child in the programming and enjoying an evening with your spouse is on the schedule, go to the location listed on the Welcome Aboard Navigator for "Dining Changes" as soon as possible after boarding.

On Castaway Cay, there will be no non-Disney providers. The bikes are listed as an hour, but are on "island time" meaning that no one is clocking you out or back in. If snorkel gear and a bike ride sounds good for you, go for it. You can snorkel at no cost if you bring your own equipment. We found it a good thing to buy some equipment and let the kids practice in a local pool in advance.

Nassau is blah. It is a good port to either do an excursion with the group or just stay on board and enjoy the ship.

Key West is a port where it is easy to book on line in advance or grab something after you get there. Look at what DCL offers and realize that you can do almost everything on your own. It is also an easy port to pick up anything you realize that you've forgotten--there is a CVS a couple blocks from the port. They'll also be happy to sell you another bottle of wine (you can resupply at each port), which might make up for your alcohol tastings.

IMHO, the premium you are paying for DCL is for the ship. Any cruise line can get you to the various ports.

There are more opportunities to sign up for the tastings on board. If you are interested in doing them I would encourage you to go sign up for them right when you get on the ship because the extra slots they save also fill up very quickly.

Thanks a million for all the feedback. Moki'smommy, Disney does charge a small fee for the tastings (around $25) but most are listed as sold out when I try to book on line. If indeed more come available when we're on board we should be in good shape. Great tips on the stops. I think we'll play it by ear. With a 10 year old that's typically the way to go.

• 1 month later...
I did that excursion a few years ago and really enjoyed it. LOVED sailing out and back on the catamaran (even if some of the time it wasn't true sailing).

Thanks Heart! My wife is intent on riding a catamaran so your feedback was really appreciated.