Questions on New England Cruises out of Boston

yancycruiser

Hello,

We are currently booked on the Jewel out of Boston on October 21st. Several questions for any of you who have done this.

The ports are Portsmouth, Bar Harbor, Halifax, and St Johns. Are any of these tender ports?

I noted today that there is a $150 difference per person for the October 14 cruise versus the Oct 21. Anyone have any idea why this might be?

Thanks,

Hello,

We are currently booked on the Jewel out of Boston on October 21st. Several questions for any of you who have done this.

The ports are Portsmouth, Bar Harbor, Halifax, and St Johns. Are any of these tender ports?

I noted today that there is a $150 difference per person for the October 14 cruise versus the Oct 21. Anyone have any idea why this might be?

Thanks,

We did this a few months ago (October) - good cruise! The one tender port is Bar Harbor (stop in at the West End Cafe for lunch & tell Kevin that Mike said hi!).

I think the 10/21 cruise is the last one before the repo. That might account for price differences.

Hello,

Thanks,

Your cruise is over Columbus Day weekend so that could be why it is more expensive. Bar Harbor is your only tender port. And just an FYI, you are going to Portland, Maine, not Portsmouth, NH.:)

The prices are always based on supply and demand. The fact RCI has priced the Oct 14 cruise higher reflect the cruise line's belief that there will be greater demand for that cruise. Since Columbus day is Oct 8th this year that doesn't appear to be the reason. Since foliage is a key reason people take this cruise, it may reflect a perception that will be the peak time for leaf peeping.

As other have said, Bar Harbor is the only tender port. We were on this itinerary in Oct 2010 with reallyitsmema and had a great time. We enjoyed all of the ports, but Halifax was probably my favorite. The ship is well maintained and has good facilities. We had some service issues, primarily in the MDR, but crews rotate and that is not typical of our RCI experience so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Boston is also a great city so I would try to spend a day or two there before or after.

Have a great time. Can't resist a picture to whet your appetite:

Here is the lighthouse near Portland:

P1010310.jpg?t=1311967247

OK, how about another:. This is Peggy's cove near Halifax:

P1010657.jpg?t=1287758042

Ooops, didn't check the calendar. Hopefully they get the same gorgeous weather we had, well other than the last day.

Amen to that, it was a little chilly the day we were Portland, but just look at the Peggy's Cove picture. We really were lucky -- as you say until that last day. I think that last day was the only time in any cruise I have been on [since the USNS Darby in Dec 1963 at least] that they actually put the bags out. Don't think we had any sea-sickness in our group though. I am not a sand and surf type person, so this was my favorite type of cruise. Still look forward to seeing you guys again some day.

My sister and I did this cruise last year (Oct 2011). It was beautiful. Our other sister lives in Portland, Maine so she met us at the ship and we spent the day together, then she drove to Bar Harbor and met us again the next day. One tip...plan for any kind of weather. Portland and Bar Harbor were lovely....warm and dry. St. Johns and Halifax were rainy and chilly. We had a great time nonetheless. The Jewel is our favorite ship. Our only criticism is the Boston terminal....signage is terrible! We had to ask several people where were supposed to be waiting, people were milling around because they didn't know where to go. Hopefully, they've improved things. Once we got into the proper place, it went smoothly. In fact, we were the first ones on the ship! Have a great cruise!

Amen to that, it was a little chilly the day we were Portland, but just look at the Peggy's Cove picture. We really were lucky -- as you say until that last day. I think that last day was the only time in any cruise I have been on [since the USNS Darby in Dec 1963 at least] that they actually put the bags out. Don't think we had any sea-sickness in our group though. I am not a sand and surf type person, so this was my favorite type of cruise. Still look forward to seeing you guys again some day.

We haven't scheduled anything yet this year, we might do something last minute, but are planning on something for 2013 for our 25th. Have it narrowed down to Hawaii, Alaska, the Oasis or Allure.:eek::D We will figured it out eventually. Would be nice to run into you guys too.

Hello,

Thanks,

Are you sure you have the right sip and port. The Dawn is the ship out of Boston doing the NE/Canada cruise as I am booked on the 14 day NE/Canada cruise on October 5th-19th

Doughboy,

That is the cruise I am booked for - 7 days out of Boston on the Jewel leaving on the 21st. Unless you know something I don"t.

I suggest you go to the NCL web-site and check it out. It shows the Jewel out of New York on October 21st with stops in New York, Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral), Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas, Nassau, Bahamas

http://www2.ncl.com/vacations?loc=undefined&date_from=10%2F12&date_end=10%2F12&dur=undefined&from=undefined&ship=N%3D4294963184%26Ne%3D11%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_Record_Type%253AI%252Cp_Fare_Code%253ABF%2529%26Nu%3Dp_Key&qs=N%3D4294963184%26Ne%3D11%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_Record_Type%253AI%252Cp_Fare_Code%253ABF%2529%26Nu%3Dp_Key%26Nf%3Dp_Sail_Date_Epoch%7CGTEQ%2B1349049600%7Cp_Sail_Date_Epoch%7CLTEQ%2B1351727999&older=no&latitudes=no&location_select=Where+do+you+live%3F&location=

The Dawn leaves out of boston for the NE/Canada cruise on the 19th of October

The Jewel of the Seas (RCCL) is doing the NE route this fall. If I wass to go on a cruise up the east coast, I would probably pick the 14th --- 21st is rather late in the season.

In Bar Harbor a lot of shops close after the middle of the month (although when a ship is known to come in later they will open for that).

Bar Harbor has a lot of construction going on right now - Across from the tender dock the end building has been torn down and they are rebuilding (I believe hotel or condo's) ... not quite sure which - just hope that its done soon --- I'll be there in mid April and the end of May. Jan

Thanks for the information.

We were origninally booked for September 16th and are traveling with another couple. They found out they were having their first grandchild in September so we already moved to October 21. Do you have a feel for what the temperature is like in Portsmouth and Bar Harbor at that time of the year?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Mom and I did this itinerary in Sept. 2010 and loved it so much we are booked on Jewel to do it again this Sept. In 2010 we were on Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne. Since Boston is my home port this time traveling to the port will be really easy!

I agree that Halifax was wonderful. Peggy's Cove is a must-see.

Weather-wise we were extremely lucky last time. Hurricane Earl was heading to NJ-NY and up the coast right when we were embarking. Our ship left port in Bayonne 30 minutes early. The captain kept us well-informed of the itinerary plans from the time we left NJ and we had full confidence in him. We made for Portland, ME at top speed to shelter in the harbor while the storm passed us by. Instead of a first day at sea we were in Portland by morning. That gave us 2 days in Portland and the passengers were thrilled. The seas were not bad at all. No bad weather the entire cruise for us (not so for the poor folks on land). The hurricane hit Nova Scotia before we got there. They had already restored the electricity and the downed trees were all removed from the roads before we got there. The people in Nova Scotia are very warm and friendly -- a wonderful first-time visit for us. The folks in Saint Johns were also warm and friendly.

We loved this cruise and you will too, I hope!

So happy to hear all the positive things on this New England cruise ! We are booked for Oct 14 on Jewel of the Seas to celebrate our 10 th wedding anniversary (actually, it's Nov 1 st, but we figured it would be too late in the season to see the fall colors at that time, so we are going a bit early). I am glad there was mention about Peggy's Cove, we were undecided on whether or not to book that as an excursion, but now it looks like a must-do ! 8 more months to go ... it feels like it will take forever to get here !! :p

So happy to hear all the positive things on this New England cruise ! We are booked for Oct 14 on Jewel of the Seas to celebrate our 10 th wedding anniversary (actually, it's Nov 1 st, but we figured it would be too late in the season to see the fall colors at that time, so we are going a bit early). I am glad there was mention about Peggy's Cove, we were undecided on whether or not to book that as an excursion, but now it looks like a must-do ! 8 more months to go ... it feels like it will take forever to get here !! :p

It is a must do.

If you're a bit bold, check into renting a car -- they should be near the pier or pick you up there, and go on your own. You totally don't need a bus or a guide to show you the lighthouse and the memorial. And then you can drive further into Nova Scotia (we went to Mahone Bay when we did this) and really get a feel for the beautiful countryside.

It is a must do.

If you're a bit bold, check into renting a car -- they should be near the pier or pick you up there, and go on your own. You totally don't need a bus or a guide to show you the lighthouse and the memorial. And then you can drive further into Nova Scotia (we went to Mahone Bay when we did this) and really get a feel for the beautiful countryside.

if you head to Mahone Bay, consider time in Lunenburg as well.. a UNESCO site and lovely place for lunch.. We did this as a day trip tour bec. we didn't want to mess with rental and maps and had wonderful 8-hr day with plenty of time in each village. Esp. good option if you've been to Halifax before IMHO.

Mom and I did this itinerary in Sept. 2010 and loved it so much we are booked on Jewel to do it again this Sept. In 2010 we were on Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne. Since Boston is my home port this time traveling to the port will be really easy!

I agree that Halifax was wonderful. Peggy's Cove is a must-see.

We loved this cruise and you will too, I hope!

Baya have you ever gone out of Boston before?! DH and I took the Jewel out of Boston in 09 and loved it so much we did it again in 10. We've always done the "Fly to FL and go to the Caribbean" cruise so it was cruise culture shock going out of Boston!! (we're south of Boston, we went from our doorstep to the cruise ship in 40 minutes!!). I couldn't get over what a different cruise the New England one was.. we loved it!! Bar Harbor was our favorite (we went to Peggy's Cove as well and it was breathtaking).

Baya have you ever gone out of Boston before?! DH and I took the Jewel out of Boston in 09 and loved it so much we did it again in 10. We've always done the "Fly to FL and go to the Caribbean" cruise so it was cruise culture shock going out of Boston!! (we're south of Boston, we went from our doorstep to the cruise ship in 40 minutes!!).

We never cruised out of Boston before but we did a transatlantic in 2008 that ended in Boston and loved that! Ever since then I've been looking for a cruise that we would like out of Boston that also fit our schedules. This one in Sept. embarks one day after my birthday and it'll be a week-long birthday celebration for me, Mom, and my sister and her husband and son. Woo Hoo!

We never cruised out of Boston before but we did a transatlantic in 2008 that ended in Boston and loved that! Ever since then I've been looking for a cruise that we would like out of Boston that also fit our schedules. This one in Sept. embarks one day after my birthday and it'll be a week-long birthday celebration for me, Mom, and my sister and her husband and son. Woo Hoo!

That is the best way to celebrate your Birthday!! Have a great time!!

Archived