The one thing I must buy in Jamaica is.....

lvetocruise2012

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The last time I was in Falmouth, about 4 blocks straight up from the port gates on the left, was a local grocery store.

Believe it or not, I always try to buy sugar in the islands. It is sold in brown paper or clear plastic bags, and is the less refined, crystally brown type. I always keep a canister on my kitchen counter.

You can also get "Pickapeppa Sauce" there. There is the regular kind, which is kind of like A1 sauce, but they also make a hotter variety which is delicious.

Stone's Ginger Wine is also sold in the grocery store.

They have no problem taking USD.

http://stonesgingerwine.com/products/images/g_stones_original_on_white_0100_0400.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BLUE MOUNTAIN COFFEE: When looking for Blue Mountain coffee, please know that the Jamaica Coffee Industry Board requires that all blends contain at least 20% Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee to legally use the trademarked term "Jamaica Blue Mountain." There is a difference between a 20% blend, and 100% Blue Mountain Coffee beans.

BLUE MOUNTAIN COFFEE: When looking for Blue Mountain coffee, please know that the Jamaica Coffee Industry Board requires that all blends contain at least 20% Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee to legally use the trademarked term "Jamaica Blue Mountain." There is a difference between a 20% blend, and 100% Blue Mountain Coffee beans.

I keep hearing about this Blue Mountain coffee so I plan on buying some on our trip. How do you know which coffee is 20% or 100%, does it say on the bag? Is most coffee at the port the 20% or 100% ? What should I expect to pay (USD) for a bag of 100% Blue Mountain?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I keep hearing about this Blue Mountain coffee so I plan on buying some on our trip. How do you know which coffee is 20% or 100%, does it say on the bag? Is most coffee at the port the 20% or 100% ? What should I expect to pay (USD) for a bag of 100% Blue Mountain?

I believe the blended variety will likely have the word "blended" somewhere on the label (in small print), and I would *guess* that 100% Blue Mountain would likely boast its 100% prominence. The blended coffee is most predominant, and will be at a significantly lower price versus the 100%.

I can buy blended Blue Mountain coffee online for about $15 per pound, while 100% is about $45 - $48 per pound. If the local price is lower, I would consider a purchase ... but am hoping to be able to sample the product.