first time uniworld traveler - tips for us?

clcmdse

To our experienced riverboat cruisers,

We have cruised extensively, but we have never done a river cruise. We are very excited for our cruise from Budapest to Prague this summer on Uniworld. We will be on the SS Maria Theresa. I have done research on the differences between ocean and river cruising and am beginning to familiarize myself with the different tours available for this itinerary. On that note, thank you to everyone who has posted wonderful reviews of their own journeys.

Now I am hoping for some tips from our Cruise Critic gurus about this riverboat or about Uniworld in general that we should know (food to check out; places on the boat to enjoy; specifics to enjoy on this itinerary).

Thanks to all in advance,

Catherine

Add me to the Uniworld interested newbies list. Done several river cruises, but not on U. Our travel friends love U and U offered a price deal I couldn't pass up so we're booked for the Portugal cruise in mid June. They took that cruise last year and loved it.

Phil, you use the term "U". Are you referring to Uniworld or U by Uniworld? U is geared to a younger audience, and I have never sailed them, so can't speak to that experience.

General info for Catherine and Phil (if sailing Uniworld):

I've taken 2 Uniworld cruises - Budapest to Passau on the River Beatrice and Bucharest to Budapest on the River Duchess. The service is excellent, and for my purposes, Uniworld is an all-inclusive experience. Uniworld is good at providing a seamless travel experience. For instance, in Bucharest, I was met by a Uniworld rep at the airport, taken to the hotel, and checked in without going to the front desk.

Food is good to excellent, and features local, traditional foods depending on the area and port. For instance, in Serbia, we had a Serbian BBQ for lunch. I can still taste the grilled sausage - yum!

The included excursions are top notch, IMO, and I never felt the need to pay for extra tours. I enjoyed the onboard lectures. Entertainment is minimal, and guests tend to hang out in the lounge in the evening.

I like the 24-hr. tea and coffee station, and the self-service laundry.

These are just general observations based on my experience. Do you have any specific questions or concerns?

Roz

Roz,

Thank you for your comments.

I have done one river cruise in 2014 with Tauck sailing from Bucharest to Amsterdam.

I have booked my first Uniworld cruise, for September next year, sailing from Basel to Amsterdam.

I find it disappointing to read that entertainment is minimal on Uniworld.

One of the great enjoyments on the Tauck cruise was the variety, and exceptional quality, of the local entertainers that were brought on board.

I hope Uniworld ups it's game in this area,

Catherine, I'll be doing that itinerary on the River Empress in late October.

By miniminal, I was comparing it to the entertainment on ocean lines. We did have local folk dancers, musicians, singers, etc. There's also a lounge singer and piano player at night. I've only sailed Uniworld, so can't compare the entertainment to Tauck's.

Roz

If offered on your cruise, the "Progressive Diner", is a very nice option for a unique dinner experience. At a cost of 40 euro's on our December cruise, it was offered for only one night and limited to only 8 passengers . It lasted about 2 1/2 hours and offered behind the scene on the ship. But, sign up a soon as offered (during the pre-dinner talk on the first night), as that on our cruise, that meant only 2 couples and a party of 4 had the experience. It was worth the extra cost!

If offered on your cruise, the "Progressive Diner", is a very nice option for a unique dinner experience. At a cost of 40 euro's on our December cruise, it was offered for only one night and limited to only 8 passengers . It lasted about 2 1/2 hours and offered behind the scene on the ship. But, sign up a soon as offered (during the pre-dinner talk on the first night), as that on our cruise, that meant only 2 couples and a party of 4 had the experience. It was worth the extra cost!

Was the menu a tasting one ?

Let's say part of the experience was the mystic of the unknown, as they gave you no information beforehand. Among the courses served, there were many vines, which I general do not drink , though I will always try a "splash". I did taste one the I actually enjoyed. The meal was a version of a surf and turf, and though I would have not normally ordered it, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was was happy with their selection. Overall it was an interesting and enjoyable evening.

We have taken two trips with Uniworld and look forward to our third in 2018. If you're looking for detailed information about meals, excursions, cities, etc., you may be interested in the blog from our 2014 cruise on the River Ambassador from Vienna to Prague. While the ship is a very different style, I'd expect much of the food and tours to be the same. You can find all the posts on the trip index page of our blog: http://grosstravelchronicles.blogspot.com/p/trip-index.html

We've done two cruises with Uniworld so far, with a third booked for the Christmas markets trip from Budapest to Passau in 2018. The boat is top notch, as are all of the included excursions (we saw no need for anything beyond what was included), and the food and service were terrific. As others have said, happy to answer any particular questions.

I've seen this mentioned before and I must admit that I totally fail to see the point of this one...

... if it is a wonderful experience why isn't it made available for everyone who paid to be on the cruise?

If only 8 people can do it that must surely leave a very large number of people feeling like they missed out...

This doesn't seem like a good way to do business?

There is a similar offering on our next APT cruise, the 'Chef's Table' but it runs every night and over the course of a week it gives everyone a chance to take part... (oh.. and there is no up-charge...)

We have taken two trips with Uniworld and look forward to our third in 2018. If you're looking for detailed information about meals, excursions, cities, etc., you may be interested in the blog from our 2014 cruise on the River Ambassador from Vienna to Prague. While the ship is a very different style, I'd expect much of the food and tours to be the same. You can find all the posts on the trip index page of our blog: http://grosstravelchronicles.blogspot.com/p/trip-index.html

Thank you. Will definitely check it out. I have appreciated so much the time and care that others have taken to write detailed reviews.

A couple of specific and somewhat tiny questions. On our ocean cruises on Oceania we have enjoyed bringing wine on board at ports we were visiting or on embarkation. Happy to pay corkage if necessary. Is this allowed? Also is there room service? One of our joys has been early morning coffee on a balcony

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, you may bring wine on board. We have enjoyed ours in our room or on the balcony area if we had it. The ship is so small that it's easy to bring coffee or tea back to your room (afternoon tea, in my case). We used room service when we had a butler. Maybe someone else can answer that for the other categories of rooms, especially for morning coffee. Plus there should be a coffee maker in your room.

I've seen this mentioned before and I must admit that I totally fail to see the point of this one...

... if it is a wonderful experience why isn't it made available for everyone who paid to be on the cruise?

If only 8 people can do it that must surely leave a very large number of people feeling like they missed out...

This doesn't seem like a good way to do business?

There is a similar offering on our next APT cruise, the 'Chef's Table' but it runs every night and over the course of a week it gives everyone a chance to take part... (oh.. and there is no up-charge...)

I agree. You will need to ask Uniworld these questions. Please don't shoot the messenger. I will add that the limit of 8 persons is dictated by the location of some of the courses. It is not a static dinner. Enjoy your APT cruise.

I agree. You will need to ask Uniworld these questions. Please don't shoot the messenger. I will add that the limit of 8 persons is dictated by the location of some of the courses. It is not a static dinner. Enjoy your APT cruise.

Don't feel like the shot was aimed at you :)

It is great advice to let people here know, so they get a chance to be one of the 8 lucky people.

A huge benefit of being active on these forums is the advance knowledge of these little special treats.

We've done two cruises with Uniworld and will be departing for our third in a few days: a Nile cruise on the River Tosca. Our first was on the Maria Theresa Budapest to Amsterdam and the second was on the River Princess Antwerp to Amsterdam Tulip cruise. The Maria Theresa is a beautiful ship with all the amenities. Anything you need, just ask. We preferred a bar of soap rather than the body gel in the dispenser. It was brought immediately. The service is second to none and the food is delicious. Since Uniworld is all-inclusive, you don't even tip your guides for the city tours. Uniworld takes care of that. On our second cruise, my wife had a dental problem while we were still in Antwerp. The cruise director arranged a visit to a local dentist and arranged for the transportation. You're treated like a member of the family while you're with them. Any problem, let them know immediately and it will be taken care of. Be sure to read the reviews on Cruise Critic and have a wonderful trip.

On each of our 3 Uniworld cruises (Budapest to Amsterdam in August 2015, the Seine in May 2016, and the Rhone in June 2016) the chef offered a special tasting menu dinner with wine pairings on certain nights to 20 diners per evening (it was held on multiple evenings to accommodate everyone interested). Anyone could sign up for it and it was free. The food and wine were delicious, the service first rate, and the scenery when it was held in a small, covered area on the deck on the Budapest to Amsterdam and the Seine cruises absolutely beautiful. Our Rhone cruise was on one of the super ships and the dinner was held in the Leopard lounge (if I remember the name correctly) which was a very cozy venue. I don't know if it is still offered but if it is, I highly recommend it.

On each of our 3 Uniworld cruises (Budapest to Amsterdam in August 2015, the Seine in May 2016, and the Rhone in June 2016) the chef offered a special tasting menu dinner with wine pairings on certain nights to 20 diners per evening (it was held on multiple evenings to accommodate everyone interested). Anyone could sign up for it and it was free. The food and wine were delicious, the service first rate, and the scenery when it was held in a small, covered area on the deck on the Budapest to Amsterdam and the Seine cruises absolutely beautiful. Our Rhone cruise was on one of the super ships and the dinner was held in the Leopard lounge (if I remember the name correctly) which was a very cozy venue. I don't know if it is still offered but if it is, I highly recommend it.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice and the exceptional blog posts and pics. I agree that there is a wealth of advance knowledge we can glean from participating on Cruise Critic. I have definitely been the beneficiary on this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed on the Maria Teresa Budapest to Passau for a Christmas Market cruise in 2015. I did a day by day review. It will be different in that it was a Christmas market cruise but will highlight some of the same ports and I talked a great deal about this ship and services as well. Below is a link to my review

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2284201&highlight=Uniworld+holiday+markets

Be happy to answer any questions about the MT. It's a wonderful ship and the crew and food are amazing. Have a great trip.

Interested in the Nile cruise. What sold you to choose Uniworld??

We sailed on the Maria Teresa Budapest to Passau for a Christmas Market cruise in 2015. I did a day by day review. It will be different in that it was a Christmas market cruise but will highlight some of the same ports and I talked a great deal about this ship and services as well. Below is a link to my review

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2284201&highlight=Uniworld+holiday+markets

Be happy to answer any questions about the MT. It's a wonderful ship and the crew and food are amazing. Have a great trip.

Papa B me and Ewizabeff. Thank you both for your excellent reviews and detailed posts. Papa B me, we will be staying in Suite 408 and our friends will be in Suite 407 so I really appreciated reading about the details of the room and the butler service.

I did not know that our suite came with butler service, but count us as ones who are thrilled by that, having experienced it on ocean cruising for the past five years. My only problem with butler service is that I have to return home without these fabulous people! And many thanks for the specific tips on booking and shopping and your experience with the excursions.

One question regarding the research you conducted. I must have missed it when I was on the Uniworld website, but I did not read about the kind of amenities that you described for suites. Did I miss its location?

Catherine

Interested in the Nile cruise. What sold you to choose Uniworld??

We chose Uniworld for the Nile based on our experience with them in Cambodia/Vietnam. We enjoyed the itinerary, the accommodations, the food (both onboard and off) and most of our fellow cruisers. With the early booking discount and the high level of service offered, we felt the price was reasonable and I didn't even consider shopping around with the other lines. I have full confidence in the level of service we'll receive and the quality of the Egyptologist.

When we're happy with something, we don't try something else just to try it. We originally chose Uniworld back in 2014 after some extensive comparisons between AMA Waterways and Avalon based on the itinerary, excursions, and inclusions. We cruised with another line this summer because we got an excellent group deal, and I found myself thinking almost daily, "This wouldn't happen on Uniworld..."

So I will admit I'm a pretty unapologetic fan girl, but I expect them to keep exceeding my expectations. We'll likely do India with Uniworld in the next couple of years, and maybe Russia - I really like that they do more than the standard European cruises.

Papa B me and Ewizabeff. Thank you both for your excellent reviews and detailed posts. Papa B me, we will be staying in Suite 408 and our friends will be in Suite 407 so I really appreciated reading about the details of the room and the butler service.

I did not know that our suite came with butler service, but count us as ones who are thrilled by that, having experienced it on ocean cruising for the past five years. My only problem with butler service is that I have to return home without these fabulous people! And many thanks for the specific tips on booking and shopping and your experience with the excursions.

One question regarding the research you conducted. I must have missed it when I was on the Uniworld website, but I did not read about the kind of amenities that you described for suites. Did I miss its location?

Catherine

I believe they have discontinued the free 30 minute massage. All the other amenities are the same as of last June when we were on the Countess in Italy. We've sailed now three times with Uniworld each time in a suite with a butler. I've found different amenities listed in their hard copy brochure and on line. The printed material doesn't mention things like the gifts given by the butler at the end. For the most part the butler will do all that he/she can to adapt their service to your needs. You are in for a real special trip on the MT with butler service