Can P&O Be Serious With Pacific Explorer Add On Charges?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:04 PM.
Canberra Australia
38,116 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by ccsclean21
Hi MicCanberra My wife and I are RCL loyalists but did enjoy the pacific Jewel and my wife usually gets nails done on the ships and she stated that prices for nails and facials were cheaper than other lines and very friendly staff as well, not that RCL staff are not friendly they are as well. The things you have to pay extra for are the activities where as it's included on other lines then there is the ice cream as it is New Zealand ice cream but you can get sorbet free in the MDR just ask and your friendly waiter will bring you heaps then there is the burgers and pizza which you pay extra for I don't know how much as I was happy with the all inclusive food. What ship are you going on and when?
I am on the Eden in November and the Explorer in December. I tend to eat in the MDR whenever possible so do not pay for the ice cream or burgers. I do go to specialty restaurants and will pay for wine tastings or cocktail making and such but you do that on most lines any way. We tend to select our P&O cruises by cheap deals lately.
New Zealand
113 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
On Monday we are off on our third P&O cruise, and fourth overall. We spend on average $10 per day - mainly as the hubby has super sensitive taste buds so we may buy water, and a daily barista coffee. I have an occasional coke. For me I don't feel like there is a demand for extra money - you can spend plenty if you choose too, but we have an amazing time without a huge additional spend.

We have purchased extras (hot dog etc) but mainly when it is late night and you just feel like junk food. I have always felt the prices were reasonable.

It is not just cruising that is becoming less generous. A few years ago room service used to be free, now even breakfast comes with a $5 charge at most hotels.

While some people see a loss of generosity with the midnight buffets etc disappearing I also see the limitation of waste and the reduction of gluttony. I do eat more than normal when on a cruise, and I guess you can say I don't know what I have missed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Pacific Pearl P317 Food & Wine - 18-21 May 2013
P&O Pacific Pearl P611 Tonga 22 Feb - 2 March 2016
Carnival Spirit S710 New Caledonia 12-21 March 2017
Sydney
33 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
I find that variety falls in the food in MDR and Buffets when there is a speciality restaurant on board and I have been on a 5 star ship that the MDR room and buffets were set up to force you into the speciality restaurant or "it felt like that" by either having very poor food choices and quality or the MDR you had to wait even though we had made a booking and we still had to wait over an hour to get a table and a lot of passengers felt the same way we did that the line was trying to push us into the speciality restaurants. Those speciality restaurants are popping up everywhere on ships. I found that P&O Pacific jewel had better food and service than on that 5 star ship and we were sorry we didn't stay with RCL or P&O Australia but you live and learn. The benefits of P&O Australia cruises is that there is no gratuities,and they use Australian dollar not US$ that in it's self is a big money saver and you still get great service and great food in the Buffets and MDR not feeling like you are being pushed into a speciality restaurant, I just like to see all inclusive and leave the wallet at home. Let those TV chefs set up their restaurants on land and leave the cruise ships alone.
Sydney
33 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Here is a question to everyone, How many of you would like to have cruise lines have all inclusive cruises and no extra charges, no even for that special coffee.
I reckon everyone.
Canberra Australia
38,116 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I think it would be price dependent. Recently found an invoice from a cruise in 2002 and cannot believe how expensive it was compared to todays prices. The competition is doing us many favours even if standards or quality have dropped on some lines.
108 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Here is a question to everyone, How many of you would like to have cruise lines have all inclusive cruises and no extra charges, no even for that special coffee.
I reckon everyone.
They do exist, just expensive
Sydney, Australia
13,896 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I reckon everyone.
I don't mind some extra charges. What I object to is when they cheapen the base standard excessively so to get anything reasonable you have to pay more.
Sydney
33 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
I agree with you The_Big_M Thats what happen on a 5 Star ship we took in Europe. I think they were trying to pay for the ship in one cruise as everything was expensive and as MicCanberra stated that is true too because I can remember paying for cruises back in 1983 and I paid over $2500 for an inside small cabin on a 14 night cruise and the only food was a buffet in the morning and lunch in the MDR and if weather was good they had cold meats and salads and very poor selection of deserts then Dinner in the MDR and that was pretty much it but you did get alcohol duty free and you could buy bottles of alcohol on shore and bring onto the ship and drink it but the alcohol was reasonably priced onboard so why bother buying it on land to bring back except for duty free to take home. You didn't have much choice of ships to go on, you either had old crap or very old crap and I asked a purser back then "that's what they were call back then not hotel directors like they are called now " why don't they bring the nice ships over to Australia as I felt there would be a market in it and got told that they wouldn't bring nice ships over because Australians drink too much and would ruin the new ships, what *#&*&# head and I spoke to someone at RCL in America around 1985 or so and got told it would cost too much to reposition a ship to Australia and that was when they had the Monarch of the Seas and Majesty of the Seas, but what do I know, and look at them today and if one of them took my advice back then one of them would have controlled the market being the only decent ship in Australia so yeah things have improved in cruising but I don't want to see quality of food go down and ships full of Celebrity Chef restaurants to the point that there is no MDR or buffet and you have to pay for everything. Believe me I saw what potential cruising in Australia would be back in 1980s and no one listened so am I right with this one we will have to wait an see and the only thing that will stop quality falling into the bows of the ships is the passengers. There was an oversupply of cruise ships in the Caribbean back then and was building so they sent them to other parts of the world to try to escape the heavy competition as that is what is forcing prices down in the Caribbean, oversupply of cabins. But least we are getting some very nice looking ships and we should thank the crew who look after us as they spend months away from their family to give us a fantastic holiday so to all the crew of every cruise ship thank you for your fantastic service and friendliness.
Batehaven, Australia
9,718 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by pptt
Agree, after 32 cruises, this will be our last in September with P&O. Forever putting your hand in your pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Welcome to CC, enjoy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'