Food on Pacific Explorer

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:05 PM.
Australia
225 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
We're new to P&O and have just booked Pacific Explorer. I'm very much looking forward to the change of pace but have one big concern (of the first world variety)
One of our group is a teenage boy who is the proverbial bottomless pit. How late can we expect The Pantry to be open for late night snacks? Should we be suggesting a sandwich or the like stored in the cabin fridge? I really don't want an emergency call in the morning that he's expired from starvation in the night
Thank you all for hopefully putting my mind at rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
melbourne australia
97 Posts
Joined May 2013
The pantry is open for dinner 5:30 pm till 9pm, 6:30 am to 10:30 am for breakfast and 11:30 am to 2:30pm for lunch.
You can get ready made sandwiches and store them in the fridge no problem. They also have things like nachos, papadams, pastries etc that can be put aside in your cabin.

Luke's grill is open 11am to 11 pm for $5 burgers ,$4 hot dogs, $4 chicken wings etc.

400 gradi sells pizzas ( $10 each) till late (up to midnight sometimes)

Also chips, chocolates etc are available for purchase at the ship's store.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Golden Princess, Pacific Jewel, Pacific Explorer
Australia
225 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Thank you Andlep, I appreciate that information as I was not able to find it on the website.
He'll just have to be organised

Australia
225 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
THanks Scyl, I don't plan on mentioning room service
I know that he won't actually perish from hunger, he's not so sure. Planning is key and if he forgets to organise snacks one night, he'll remember the next!
Am I able to take snacks like Mars Bars or Shapes on board? As I said, new to P&O and I'm not generally a rule breaker.

melbourne australia
97 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by ozscot01
THanks Scyl, I don't plan on mentioning room service

Am I able to take snacks like Mars Bars or Shapes on board? As I said, new to P&O and I'm not generally a rule breaker.

Yep as long as the packets are sealed.
We took Pringles and nuts with us.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Golden Princess, Pacific Jewel, Pacific Explorer
Sydney, Australia
152 Posts
Joined May 2008
You can also take 10 cans of soft drink per person in the cabin. They have to be loose (ie not in the cardboard packaging). You can't take water on board or pop top-type drinks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

December 2008: Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific

February 2016: Voyager of the Seas - South Pacific

"Too long between drinks and cruises"

Canberra Australia
38,116 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I have never known anyone to go hungry on a cruise ship unless they are picky eaters. There will be food available at most times although you may have to pay for some of it.
New Zealand
113 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
We always bring snacks, and while we certainly don't go hungry sometimes find that you want something salty, sweet, crunchy etc that you may not get from P&O supplied food. The shop can be very expensive so we do take a selection of prepackaged food for those cravings.

If you are going ashore prepacked snacks are great. While you can return to the ship for food, having a bar or such like in your bag can make a real difference. You should not take off anything that is not wrapped (e.g. fruit, sandwiches etc) for biosecurity reasons.

If your boy is like mine and doesn't particularly like drinking water or soft drinks you can also take drink powder like raro or gatorade.

Enjoy your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Pacific Pearl P317 Food & Wine - 18-21 May 2013
P&O Pacific Pearl P611 Tonga 22 Feb - 2 March 2016
Carnival Spirit S710 New Caledonia 12-21 March 2017
Batehaven, Australia
9,718 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
At lunchtime procure some cheese and crackers from the buffet, sorry pantry on P&O (if they have them) store them in cabin/fridge until wine 'o clock.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Australia
225 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking I'll take a roll of Glad Wrap and he can keep a stash of cheese, crackers and sandwiches in the fridge.
And chocolate, we'll go broke if we have to buy that onboard

Canberra Australia
38,116 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I would bring crackers for the cheese, the ones on ships always leave me disappointed as they tend to be salteens or some weak arsed cracker.
Australia
225 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
I'll bear that in mind MicCanberra, thank you. Though tbh in this particular case (18 yr old boy) quantity trumps quality.

Batehaven, Australia
9,718 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MicCanberra
I would bring crackers for the cheese, the ones on ships always leave me disappointed as they tend to be salteens or some weak arsed cracker.
Good idea Uncle Mic, I generally pack a couple of packs of 'Peckish Rice Crackers.'
Even a box of those little French cream cheeses in foil - don't need to refrigerate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
113 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I keep snap lock bags in my bag. Then if you want to take a snack for later, just seal it in the snap lock bag. I think you can even take them off the ship (I have !) but you can't bring unpackaged food back on as they scan everything.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature