More "Dumbing Down" of Cunard ??

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:29 AM.
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,342 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by jburton59
I'm sorry Salacia is no longer with us to explain that Manhattan Island does not equal New York.
Ah but most tourists relate Manhattan as New York, not like tourists to UK where London is not Southampton they are two completely different Cities about 79 miles apart.
56 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Pennbank
Ah but most tourists relate Manhattan as New York, not like tourists to UK where London is not Southampton they are two completely different Cities about 79 miles apart.
Hopefully they might allow this new ship to be registered in the city for at least a while, the cunarders from QE2 were good ambassadors for the city globally.
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Calliope
Well, Tom, I have to agree with you. It is sad, but what do you expect from the marketing department when they have to appeal to geographically challenged people?
Years ago I went skiing in Vale. I can still remember an American lady telling me that she'd only just learned that Scotland was not a part of England !
3,516 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
“Say, where are you folks from” ——“We live in Cheshire, not far from Liverpool” ——Blank look. Reminder to self, next time say near London.

David.
NYC
3,800 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Cunard calling the port of Southampton as an arrival in "London" is a piker compared to the airline industry. How many fly "to New York" via JFK airport? According to Wikipedia,"JFK is located in the neighborhood of Jamaica in the New York City borough of Queens, 10 miles (20 km) southeast of Midtown Manhattan."

Truth in advertising would require that tickets read Queens, New York, United States.
Valley of the Sun, Arizona
7,404 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by BlueRiband
Cunard calling the port of Southampton as an arrival in "London" is a piker compared to the airline industry. How many fly "to New York" via JFK airport? According to Wikipedia,"JFK is located in the neighborhood of Jamaica in the New York City borough of Queens, 10 miles (20 km) southeast of Midtown Manhattan."

Truth in advertising would require that tickets read Queens, New York, United States.
Or worse...Flying to "New York" and arriving in Newark......
Or flying to Crawley, West Sussex.....Oh wait, that is London (Gatwick).
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,808 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
OK...has anyone flown into Cincinnati, Ohio? Probably not, as nearly all Cincinnati bound commercial flights land at Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) which is in Boone County, Kentucky. Even though it's in Boone County, Kentucky it is owned by the good citizens of Kenton County, Kentucky, several miles away. And the airport code CVG is short for Covington, Kentucky which is one of the two county seats of Kenton County; the other one is Independence, Kentucky. Two county seats in one county dates back to the time when it would have been impossible for many of its citizens to have made a one day journey into the county seat for official matters. Now aren't you glad you read this?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by balf
“Say, where are you folks from” ——“We live in Cheshire, not far from Liverpool” ——Blank look. Reminder to self, next time say near London.

David.
I actually get this working in London. I'm not making this up, but about 2 weeks ago someone I work with in London asked me where I'd traveled from this morning. Chester I said. And he replied "Is that near Chesterfield ?"

So don't just mock the Americans, people from London are just as bad !
UK
1,997 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Having a reasonably successful Premier League football (soccer) team can help some of the more geographically challenged people. I'm originally from Hull (north coast of England) and no one has ever heard of us until we managed to get the local team promoted and then suddenly people became more aware of Hull. Now I live in Manchester - not a huge problem with location now - unless of course the person you are talking to doesn't follow the game!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean