More "Dumbing Down" of Cunard ??

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:40 AM.
Riding the Oceans Waves
1,392 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by jburton59
I'm sorry Salacia is no longer with us to explain that Manhattan Island does not equal New York.
Ah but most tourists relate Manhattan as New York, not like tourists to UK where London is not Southampton they are two completely different Cities about 79 miles apart.
108 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Pennbank
Ah but most tourists relate Manhattan as New York, not like tourists to UK where London is not Southampton they are two completely different Cities about 79 miles apart.
Hopefully they might allow this new ship to be registered in the city for at least a while, the cunarders from QE2 were good ambassadors for the city globally.
Chester, UK
1,546 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Calliope
Well, Tom, I have to agree with you. It is sad, but what do you expect from the marketing department when they have to appeal to geographically challenged people?
Years ago I went skiing in Vale. I can still remember an American lady telling me that she'd only just learned that Scotland was not a part of England !
3,598 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
“Say, where are you folks from” ——“We live in Cheshire, not far from Liverpool” ——Blank look. Reminder to self, next time say near London.

David.
NYC
4,027 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Cunard calling the port of Southampton as an arrival in "London" is a piker compared to the airline industry. How many fly "to New York" via JFK airport? According to Wikipedia,"JFK is located in the neighborhood of Jamaica in the New York City borough of Queens, 10 miles (20 km) southeast of Midtown Manhattan."

Truth in advertising would require that tickets read Queens, New York, United States.
Valley of the Sun, Arizona
7,821 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by BlueRiband
Cunard calling the port of Southampton as an arrival in "London" is a piker compared to the airline industry. How many fly "to New York" via JFK airport? According to Wikipedia,"JFK is located in the neighborhood of Jamaica in the New York City borough of Queens, 10 miles (20 km) southeast of Midtown Manhattan."

Truth in advertising would require that tickets read Queens, New York, United States.
Or worse...Flying to "New York" and arriving in Newark......
Or flying to Crawley, West Sussex.....Oh wait, that is London (Gatwick).
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,867 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
OK...has anyone flown into Cincinnati, Ohio? Probably not, as nearly all Cincinnati bound commercial flights land at Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) which is in Boone County, Kentucky. Even though it's in Boone County, Kentucky it is owned by the good citizens of Kenton County, Kentucky, several miles away. And the airport code CVG is short for Covington, Kentucky which is one of the two county seats of Kenton County; the other one is Independence, Kentucky. Two county seats in one county dates back to the time when it would have been impossible for many of its citizens to have made a one day journey into the county seat for official matters. Now aren't you glad you read this?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
Chester, UK
1,546 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by balf
“Say, where are you folks from” ——“We live in Cheshire, not far from Liverpool” ——Blank look. Reminder to self, next time say near London.

David.
I actually get this working in London. I'm not making this up, but about 2 weeks ago someone I work with in London asked me where I'd traveled from this morning. Chester I said. And he replied "Is that near Chesterfield ?"

So don't just mock the Americans, people from London are just as bad !
UK
2,222 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Having a reasonably successful Premier League football (soccer) team can help some of the more geographically challenged people. I'm originally from Hull (north coast of England) and no one has ever heard of us until we managed to get the local team promoted and then suddenly people became more aware of Hull. Now I live in Manchester - not a huge problem with location now - unless of course the person you are talking to doesn't follow the game!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2018 Southampton-San Francisco - Cunard. 2017 Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
UK
723 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
On Q.V. at the moment. Tonight is roaring 20s evening. There is zero interest in this event. So much so I have gone back to the cabin to change. People on this website who v
Continuously promote formal dress as the norm are either not regular cruisers or are living in a different world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Newport Beach, CA
1,194 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
I actually get this working in London. I'm not making this up, but about 2 weeks ago someone I work with in London asked me where I'd traveled from this morning. Chester I said. And he replied "Is that near Chesterfield ?"

So don't just mock the Americans, people from London are just as bad !
Yes please don't mock the Americans.. some Americans have traveled extensively in the UK and know
where cities and ports are located. I once had a British traveler ask me if one could see San Diego, Los Angeles, and San francisco in the same day. (By car.) Some cruise lines will say Le Havre (for Paris.)
Hawaii
334 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Also amazing are the numbers of folks who do not realize the Hawaiian Islands are ~~~ Islands ~~~~ !!

And you must take a plane to get from one to another.

Yes-Yes-- I know--- cruise ships drop visitors off at the 4 major islands for day-trips. But there are no ferries / ships for 'every day' passage from one island to the next.
108 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by ace2542
I am going to call it now. Cunard won't make it to it's 200th anniversary. I don't see it lasting more than 10 more years.
To be honest it’s been the case since 1998 that carnival could decide at the drop of a hat it’s no longer worth the effort and expense of keeping the line going, retire the brand and reassign the ships amongst its other fleets... I take 2022 as a good sign that Cunard is still delivering on the profitability front and that’s why (really) we shouldn’t whinge about it looking like Chichén Itzá at the front!
236 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Originally posted by SilverHengroen
To be honest it’s been the case since 1998 that carnival could decide at the drop of a hat it’s no longer worth the effort and expense of keeping the line going, retire the brand and reassign the ships amongst its other fleets... I take 2022 as a good sign that Cunard is still delivering on the profitability front and that’s why (really) we shouldn’t whinge about it looking like Chichén Itzá at the front!
The quality of the ships are going down as is the service I found that this time round. It only takes someone to take them on for transatlantic crossings and they could be in trouble. Besides the younger generations of cruisers don't seem to be into Cunard do they? And they are so arrogant to claim the ships are always full the Jan 3rd crossing was not full it was about 80% max.
Ewing, NJ
475 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by Transatlantic Tom
As if being called a "guest" wasn't bad enough....

...NOW Cunard marketing emails are offering "transatlantic crossings from NY to LONDON" (or vice versa); cruises to/from London TOO !!

Unless QM2, QV & QE have secretly begun sailings to/from Tilbury, the Isle of Dogs or The Embankment - I wish that Cunard would stop this silliness.

Southampton, Southampton, Southampton !!!
Unfortunately, it's not new, and it isn't just a Cunard thing. It's industry wide. There's a whole bunch of itineraries that list:

Warnemunde for Berlin
Civitavecchia for Rome
Le Havre for Paris
Port Said for Cairo
Port Canaveral for Orlando
Cape Liberty/Bayonne for New York

And those are just the ones off the top of my head.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
--Ashley

Past Cruises
Majesty of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) - Bahamas ... Oasis of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) - cruise to nowhere ... Carnival Fantasy (Carnival Cruise Line) - Bahamas ... Enchantment of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) - Bermuda ... Carnival Liberty (Carnival Cruise Line) - Western Caribbean ... MSC Poesia (MSC Cruises) - Western Caribbean ... Avalon Visionary (Avalon Waterways) - The Netherlands (christening) ... Volendam (Holland America) - Alaska ... Norwegian Getaway (Norwegian Cruise Line) - cruise to nowhere ... Norwegian Breakaway (Norwegian Cruise Line) - cruise to nowhere ... Legend of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) - Panama Canal ... Finnmarken (Hurtigruten) - Norwegian Fjords and Arctic Circle ... Disney Dream (Disney Cruise Line) - Bahamas ... Viking Star (Viking Ocean Cruises) - Mediterranean ... Freedom of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) - Eastern Caribbean ... Grand Celebration (Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line) - Bahamas ... River Voyager (Vantage Deluxe World Travel) - Rhine Gorge (christening) ... Carnival Victory (Carnival Cruise Line) - Bahamas ... Carnival Vista (Carnival Cruise Line) - overnight in port (christening) ... Grand Princess (Princess Cruises) - Mexican Riviera ... Norwegian Jade (Norwegian Cruise Line) - Western Caribbean ... AmaKristina (AmaWaterways) - Rhine Gorge (christening) ... Disney Fantasy (Disney Cruise Line) - Bahamas ... Oasis of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) - Eastern Caribbean (solar eclipse sailing) ... MSC Seaside (MSC Cruises) - partial transatlantic (inaugural) ... Oceana (P&O Cruises) - Europe ... The A (U by Uniworld) - overnight in port (press event) ... Symphony of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) - Spain ... Celebrity Silhouette (Celebrity Cruises) - Paris ... Marella Explorer (Marella Cruises) - cruise to nowhere ... Braemar (Fred. Olsen Cruises) - Western Europe ... MSC Seaview (MSC Cruises) - Italy (three nights in port, christening)

Upcoming Cruises
Queen Mary 2 (Cunard Line) - transatlantic
London
22 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by PRINCESSTHE BEST
On Q.V. at the moment. Tonight is roaring 20s evening. There is zero interest in this event. So much so I have gone back to the cabin to change. People on this website who v
Continuously promote formal dress as the norm are either not regular cruisers or are living in a different world.

s
I'm also on the qv. There were lots of people dressed for the roaring 20s ball last night and the queen's room was busy. It was a very enjoyable evening. To say there was zero interest is just wrong.
108 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by ace2542
The quality of the ships are going down as is the service I found that this time round. It only takes someone to take them on for transatlantic crossings and they could be in trouble. Besides the younger generations of cruisers don't seem to be into Cunard do they? And they are so arrogant to claim the ships are always full the Jan 3rd crossing was not full it was about 80% max.
And I have found service consistently excellent across all my sailings, and I think it’s fair to point out Cunard has never had a better fleet in terms of amenities offered, consistency of experience, safety or itineraries offered. My first sailing was in 2011, when I was 16, since then I have introduced many friends to the line and all have loved it. Who is going to build a ship capable of competing with QM2 on the Atlantic if it would end up causing both ships to operate at a loss until one or the other blinked?
236 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Originally posted by SilverHengroen
And I have found service consistently excellent across all my sailings, and I think it’s fair to point out Cunard has never had a better fleet in terms of amenities offered, consistency of experience, safety or itineraries offered. My first sailing was in 2011, when I was 16, since then I have introduced many friends to the line and all have loved it. Who is going to build a ship capable of competing with QM2 on the Atlantic if it would end up causing both ships to operate at a loss until one or the other blinked?
Well on the Jan 3rd sailing they had a problem with the water supply, half the public toilets would not flush the some of the lifts did not work for periods of time. There is also apparently something wrong with one of the thrusters requiring a dry dock visit at some point.