Cunard notice: half a day to clear US Immigration?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:48 PM.
Magnolia, Texas
1,389 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I have disembarked at Red Hook more than 8 times. From the time the ship arrived until you bags are off can take an hour or so. Cunard tries to match baggage delivery with flight information earlier, sooner, which is why they distribute different color bag tags. Once the color of my tags has been called from the time I left the ship til I was finished exiting the hall was about one half hour. That means sorting through all the bags for that color, finding my bags, getting a porter, queuing for proper immigration line, and yes there are different lines for US Citizens and Non Citizens, getting through immigration and delivering the bags back to White Star Luggage collection nearer the exit to the hall. And then catching a taxi or bus. At most an hour start to finish.

I suppose it could take longer, but I have not experienced it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Virginia
770 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Thanks for that encouraging info, Mike. I wasn't sure if I needed to change my train ride home but that sounds better. We can always do self-embarkation to get the earliest time off but that will not be as easy for us as it used to be.

Have heard that the offloading at Hamburg could be a time challenging event nowadays but as we have only to get to our hotel, it will be no big deal.
Mississauga ON
1,695 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
The times I've gone through New York, both Manhattan and Red Hook, I've been in no hurry, so have waited until final call. It does indeed take approaching four hours until last passenger clears, although no more than one hour for the actual perocessing once you're in line.
Southern New Jersey
1,096 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Does anyone else remember when US Customs and Immigration boarded at Southampton and did passport checks on board? Definitely on QE2, and I think I recall that on early QM2 voyages. (deep sigh)

Regarding Red Hook, I have found that porters seem to be able to bypass the queue, so even though we can roll our own suitcases, we now engage a porter in order to get out quicker. And this is early in the process, which we get with with Diamond status courtesy of my travelling companion (I am merely Platinum).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob K.
About to embark
Oceania Insignia Bermuda-New England 25 July-4 August 2018

Already docked
Disney Magic NYC roundtrip 14 October 2017
Crystal Symphony Dover-Reykjavik June 2015, Crystal Serenity Québec-NYC October 2016
Azamara Quest EB TA 27 March 2014
Celebrity Century Scotland-Ireland 2008, Equinox Eastern Med 2009, Summit Bermuda 2010, Constellation Scandinavia/Russia 2010
Cunard QE2 TAs 2001, 2002, 2003, QM2 TAs 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, QV Black Sea 2011, QV Athens Roundtrip 2015, QE Cape Town-Southampton April 2017
HAL Westerdam Western Med 2007, Maasdam Canada/New England 2009, Volendam Australia/NZ 2011, Eurodam Viking Passage WB TA 2014
Chicago
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by rsquare
Does anyone else remember when US Customs and Immigration boarded at Southampton and did passport checks on board? Definitely on QE2, and I think I recall that on early QM2 voyages. (deep sigh)
That's a big reason why we'll probably never do a westbound TA. Being able to walk straight off the ship at Southampton was a treat.
Kansas City
446 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Originally posted by abefroman329
That's a big reason why we'll probably never do a westbound TA. Being able to walk straight off the ship at Southampton was a treat.
As most who have done both direction will tell you, the immigration delays at Brooklyn are more than offset by the 25 hour days you get traveling westbound (in addition to no jet lag). Try it and you will like it.