booked on Adonia x2!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:20 AM.
Nantwich, Cheshire
122 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Just for information and I don't know how useful it will be.
On our recent cruise because of problems, P & O gave everyone 20% of the cost of their cruise back in the form of a credit towards a next cruise booking.
Whilst we were happy having already booked , one gentleman made a BIG fuss and managed to get his credited for his booked cruise with Cunard!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Batehaven, Australia
9,676 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MMDown Under
Hope your deposit has been refunded, especially as you have already booked replacement cruises.

When they are counting the money they make on short term investment withholding their passengers' deposits, I hope they count the cost of the loss of goodwill, loss of trust, and future reluctance to book ahead (especially for passengers who book long haul flights, such as from Australia).

Because a TA was transferred from departing Genoa, Italy to departing Kiel, Germany in 2010, I no longer book cruises ahead but book around final payment.
No refund received. From enquiries with P&O and my agent today, they will not budge from the 27 October date and worse news from our agent, it could take up to 12 weeks before Finance Division of Carnival release our $2000 deposits. This is inexcusable, considering that some British cruisers affected by Adonia sale - cancellation of cruises, already have received their deposits already.

A horror story, never ending. Takes me back about 7 years when I booked Costa Atlantica, cruise of East Coast of USA/Canada. Costa cancelled cruise and repositioned ship to the Med because of poor sales. Took 12 weeks to get deposits back. Costa is part of Carnival too. !! Ugh.

Next move for me, could be NSW Dept of Fair Trading or 60 Minutes !!

Thanks to other posters on here for their advice.

I would be interested to hear of any other non Brit pax, affected by Adonia sale and cruise cancellation and any progress re their refunds/claims. Lastly we have received no letter from P&O contrary to the wording of their generic E mail re Adonia sale and our options.

Sorry to bore you all with this, but it is getting serious.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Gold Coast
10,011 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by NSWP
No refund received. From enquiries with P&O and my agent today, they will not budge from the 27 October date and worse news from our agent, it could take up to 12 weeks before Finance Division of Carnival release our $2000 deposits. This is inexcusable, considering that some British cruisers affected by Adonia sale - cancellation of cruises, already have received their deposits already.
A horror story, never ending. Takes me back about 7 years when I booked Costa Atlantica, cruise of East Coast of USA/Canada. Costa cancelled cruise and repositioned ship to the Med because of poor sales. Took 12 weeks to get deposits back. Costa is part of Carnival too. !! Ugh.
I would be interested to hear of any other non Brit pax, affected by Adonia sale and cruise cancellation and any progress re their refunds/claims. Lastly we have received no letter from P&O contrary to the wording of their generic E mail re Adonia sale and our options.
I agree it is inexcusable to keep passengers' deposits when they have sold the ship and cancelled their cruises.

Have you written to the CEO of P&O(UK)?

If so, I think your suggested next move is an excellent idea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Isle Of Man
9 Posts
Joined Feb 2011

We finally got a call of them on Monday but still haven’t had a letter or email. We explained what we’d like maybe to book D804 having had D804A pulled from under us they wanted £2309(£165 per night) having originally paid £3499(100 per night) for an inside cabin so no prizes for guessing what the answer will be! They want to charge us 65% more for the pleasure of them cancelling our cruise and rebooking the same cabin I don’t think so.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Batehaven, Australia
9,676 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Manx buoy
We finally got a call of them on Monday but still haven’t had a letter or email. We explained what we’d like maybe to book D804 having had D804A pulled from under us they wanted £2309(£165 per night) having originally paid £3499(100 per night) for an inside cabin so no prizes for guessing what the answer will be! They want to charge us 65% more for the pleasure of them cancelling our cruise and rebooking the same cabin I don’t think so.

Highway robbery even for a 'Manxman,' for 165 quid pp a night you would want the 'Frank Sinatra Suite' on D804. They should give that to you as compo, complete with piano, butler and a couple of bottles of Dom Perignon or Bollinger.

Anyway, this arvo in frustration I fired off a couple of E mails of protest to CEO Carnival Australia and CEO Carnival UK, one of em' has our 2 grand deposit, which we would like back ASAP to so we can book and pay our shorex on Sapphire Princess and Royal Princess cruises, booked in lieu of Adonia. They can swing the OBC comp promised over there too, like the bloke did who got it transferred from P&O to Cunard, but they won't.

Keep you all posted, hope you get an early refund. Good luck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..

Isle Of Man
9 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Highway robbery even for a 'Manxman,' for 165 quid pp a night you would want the 'Frank Sinatra Suite' on D804. They should give that to you as compo, complete with piano, butler and a couple of bottles of Dom Perignon or Bollinger.

Anyway, this arvo in frustration I fired off a couple of E mails of protest to CEO Carnival Australia and CEO Carnival UK, one of em' has our 2 grand deposit, which we would like back ASAP to so we can book and pay our shorex on Sapphire Princess and Royal Princess cruises, booked in lieu of Adonia. They can swing the OBC comp promised over there too, like the bloke did who got it transferred from P&O to Cunard, but they won't.

Keep you all posted, hope you get an early refund. Good luck.

we couldn’t believe it when they came back with that, we were thinking of changing ships in Barbados and doing TA back to Southampton but no way at them prices if people are willing to be ripped off like that that’s there lookout this frugal Manxman isn’t.

Batehaven, Australia
9,676 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
For information of those who had booked on Adonia - Refunds - I have yet to receive any of our deposits back ($2000.) This is now 3 weeks after announcement of sale. I have notified my agent and P&O that I do not wish to book another P&O Cruise, so they can refund my deposits ASAP. (I did say please.) I did fire off some E Mails to those in power.

Any of you in UK or elsewhere received refunds?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

bucks
636 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
For information of those who had booked on Adonia - Refunds - I have yet to receive any of our deposits back ($2000.) This is now 3 weeks after announcement of sale. I have notified my agent and P&O that I do not wish to book another P&O Cruise, so they can refund my deposits ASAP. (I did say please.) I did fire off some E Mails to those in power.

Ours came back finally at the end of last week.
Scotland
681 Posts
Joined Aug 2012

That's disgraceful.

P&O have not behaved well over this whole thing. I take it you have claimed for interest on the time they have held your deposit and the further period of delay in returning it. They will have made a lot of money on the collective sum of all these deposits, ukminterestvrates may be low but an international company will have found a way to get the best rates.

Hope you get this resolved soon.
Isle Of Man
9 Posts
Joined Feb 2011

Got ours last week, received shore excursion refund today still waiting for flight/hotel refunds as they have to investigate! Surely they know who cancelled everything all payment confirmation sent to them with claim.

United Kingdom
221 Posts
Joined Mar 2015

The letter I had gave 27th October as the date. The rather tenuous justification given was that it would give people time to book another cruise with their £100 off offer and transfer the deposit to that new booking. I would have thought that, if you demanded your deposit back immediately, they would be breaking the law if they failed to do so.

In my case, I was on a cruise on Arcadia at the time that had had to miss out three tender ports, primarily because of rough weather, and we were offered a discount on a future cruise of 20% of the cost of the Arcadia cruise. I'd also had two Adonia cruises cancelled. I found another cruise that I liked, booked it on-board Arcadia, getting the 20% discount plus £100 off for each of the cancelled cruises. The deposit for one of the cancelled Adonia cruises was transferred to the newly booked cruise and the deposit for the other Adonia cruise was refunded at the same time. Given how complicated it all was, especially when you consider the other "goodies" for an on-board booking, I was impressed that it was all done correctly and speedily.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JH