Wine Package

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:22 AM.
1,194 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by Charleyben
They initially informed me that they had no control on the ship as to when the gratuities were added as this was done centrally.

When I spoke with a more senior officer at reception he agreed to resolve the situation. He achieved this by removing the charges prior to the gratuities and placing them back on after. This had the desired effect of the gratuities being the first items to come off the OBS.

He said no one on board could move he date the gratuities were applied. Although he did not acknowledge it, I had the distinct impression that this was a deliberate policy imposed by the number crunchers at head office.

Although it meant only about £16 difference in my case, when this is applied to all passengers receiving OBC, it represents a significant amount of money.

Was it worth the effort? Probably not but I am the type to cut my nose off to spite my face.

I just find that if, as I suspect, this is a deliberate policy, it should be shown for what it is.
Yes it was worth it. £16 is a bottle of wine and it is still a point of principle. Well done!
Manchester
162 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
I'd like to ask a question with regards to wine packages if I may.

If I purchase a 12 bottle package will I be restricted were I can consume my wine? I'd like to drink some with my main meal but also at times like a glass later in the evening, is it kept centrally or will I have to return to my room to get a glass?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1,194 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by ozzysdad
I'd like to ask a question with regards to wine packages if I may.

If I purchase a 12 bottle package will I be restricted were I can consume my wine? I'd like to drink some with my main meal but also at times like a glass later in the evening, is it kept centrally or will I have to return to my room to get a glass?
If you don't finish the bottle they will keep it until the following evening or you can simply take it with you and finish it in a bar.
As far as I know you can use the vouchers at bars and other restaurants but they may not have the full selection.
Swansea
90 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
You can use the vouchers anywhere, take the unfinished bottle with you - (i'm not sure they will let you take the bottle but they will put your wine in a normal glass and you can take that out with you - never tried taking the bottle). You can also phone the wine line arrange for the bottle to be at a bar for say pre-dinner drinks ( possibly even your cabin ) and take that into dinner with you. As above the bars dont have the same selection as the restaurants readily available.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grey Funnel Line - 1989 - 1997
HMS Beaver, HMS London, HMS Battleaxe

Oceana West Med Sept 2010,Ventura TA barbados Oct 2011,Orianna - North cape Aug 2013
Ventura Iberia Oct 2015- family trip 9m son to 72 yr old dad....3 generations
Ventura Canaries Apr 2018
Uk
73 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Wines from a wine package are sourced from whichever MDR you are using. This does present problems when trying to use the vouchers outside of your MDR.

When you use the vouchers in the alternative dining venues they will get you, your choice of wine from the MDR but sometimes this involves a delay.

Because most of the wines in the wine packages are not stocked in the various bars you may experience difficulty getting them unless you find a particularly friendly waiter who is prepared to go to the MDR. Even then it has to be when the MDR is open and you friendly waiter has sufficient time.

If the wine you want is stocked at the particular bar, they will normally supply their wine and sort the internal elements at a later time.

To summarise it is not straightforward using the vouchers outside the MDR although it is possible. Personally if I fancy another bottle of wine after dinner, I order another bottle with the wine waiter and take it with me to whichever bar I am going.