Missed Port Claim

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:21 AM.
Lancashire, UK
540 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by carer
Just wondered if your insurance paid out. I have tried to claim for a port where the wind and weather prevented the tenders being launched to access the port. The insurance has declined to pay as they say this was an operational failure. Not sure when you can actually claim on your insurance for adverse weather resulting in a missed port, it’s a mystery.
We missed Bar Harbor on Aurora R715 last month for similar reasons. When we got home last week I contacted our Travel Insurer and then submitted the documentation they requested. A copy of the page from the Captain's Log was sufficient. Received a call on Saturday to advise that the claim was approved and payment will be made this week. Excellent service.

Sounds like your insurer is trying to weasel out of paying and I'd be raising it with them again unless you can find that exclusion in your T's & C's. After all this must be one of the main reasons why a port is missed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
David

Gone:
Black Watch 2006,7&8: NCL 2007: Sea Princess May 2008: Aurora Oct. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010; Eclipse Oct. 2010; Oriana Feb. 2011; Arcadia Dec. 2011; Oceana Mar. 2012; Aurora June 2012. Oriana Feb. 2013 & Jan. 2014; Azamara Quest Mar. 2014; Oriana Apr. 2015; Azamara Journey Nov. 2015; Grand Princess May 2016; Ventura Jan 2017, Aurora Aug & Sept. 2017
Surrey
376 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by Prefdavid
We missed Bar Harbor on Aurora R715 last month for similar reasons. When we got home last week I contacted our Travel Insurer and then submitted the documentation they requested. A copy of the page from the Captain's Log was sufficient. Received a call on Saturday to advise that the claim was approved and payment will be made this week. Excellent service.

Sounds like your insurer is trying to weasel out of paying and I'd be raising it with them again unless you can find that exclusion in your T's & C's. After all this must be one of the main reasons why a port is missed.
Can I ask how you decided on the amount to claim for missing a port, we have this included on our insurance, but would not have a clue. Many thanks.
3 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
We did have an exclusion in our insurance on page 55 of the policy (I obviously should have read the whole document before purchasing the policy) that there would be no cover for missed ports resulting from mechanical or operational failure of the tender. Not sure myself whether the weather being too severe to launch the tender is the same as operational failure of the tender.
I won’t be renewing the policy or buying from that insurance company again.
Lancashire
2,912 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by majortom10
I have had this issue with P&O in the past and it is nothing to do with different T&Cs. We missed 2 ports of call on Princess one the cruise lines fault and the other weather related and without any prompting from any passengers we received a letter to our stateroom saying port fees/taxes for both ports of call will be refunded to our onboard account. When this happened on a P&O cruise I enquired about reimbursement of port fees/taxes as because we hadnt berthed they would not have been paid and should be reimbursed to the customer who had paid them in the cruise fare. They initially waffled at great length and then tried to say that customers didnt pay port fees/taxes as these were paid by P&O out of their own pockets (laughable). Amercian cruise companies sell there cruises at a price + port/fees/taxes where in the UK it is included in the cruise fare and states such in brochures. When this was pointed out they then said that it was not company policy to return port fees/taxes at any time and even though customers are charged they are kept by P&O to boost their profits. IMO another charge that P&O do at customers expense just to boost there takings and are really heading to the bottom of the barrell with regards to cruising. Strangely you cannot blame Carnival because Princess is also owned by Carnival and they do reimburse port fees/taxes it is obviously a decision taken by P&O senior management.
Different laws in the UK and the USA. In the UK, cruise fares per brochure are the contract amount and that's what you pay, with little option for the cruise line to cancel, make significant changes to, or surcharge. If one port is taken out and a more expensive one substituted, they can't charge extra; if it's cheaper, they don't refund; if you miss out altogether, they don't refund the port fees but they also don't charge extra for the extra entertainments (if any!) or for the extra food you eat and the extra fuel the ship uses.
893 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by dsrdsrdsr
Different laws in the UK and the USA. In the UK, cruise fares per brochure are the contract amount and that's what you pay, with little option for the cruise line to cancel, make significant changes to, or surcharge. If one port is taken out and a more expensive one substituted, they can't charge extra; if it's cheaper, they don't refund; if you miss out altogether, they don't refund the port fees but they also don't charge extra for the extra entertainments (if any!) or for the extra food you eat and the extra fuel the ship uses.
Beg to disagree. Our last cruise with Princess, booked via a UK ta, we missed a port due to weather. The next day our on board account was credited with the port fees that were part of our total UK payment. Have to say that I never looked at making an insurance claim for a missed port.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
Staffordshire
1,922 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by dsrdsrdsr
That is what P&O want you to believe but its nonsense doesnt matter what country you are in and nothing to do with laws its just that it is practice in the UK to advertise cost of cruise with an all inclusive price including port taxes. In the US they are advertised at lower price + port fees/taxes. When Princess advertise and sell cruises in the UK the price they quote you is inclusive of these fees and if you miss a port whether through a fault of cruise line or weather conditions they automatically reimburse you these costs while onboard to your account. The extra food you eat is nonsensical because if you miss a port on Princess you eat more onboard but that doesnt stop them reimbursing you. When a port is cancelled for whatever reason it is not always practical or possible to replace with another port so in that case you have missed a port and not called at a replacement port then the port fees/taxes that you have paid should be reimbursed but surprisingly money grabbing P&O dont they keep the money and has it has no costs to them it is pure 100% profit which with 2000-3500 people onboard no small amount.
UK
4,598 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by majortom10
That is what P&O want you to believe but its nonsense doesnt matter what country you are in and nothing to do with laws its just that it is practice in the UK to advertise cost of cruise with an all inclusive price including port taxes. In the US they are advertised at lower price + port fees/taxes. When Princess advertise and sell cruises in the UK the price they quote you is inclusive of these fees and if you miss a port whether through a fault of cruise line or weather conditions they automatically reimburse you these costs while onboard to your account. The extra food you eat is nonsensical because if you miss a port on Princess you eat more onboard but that doesnt stop them reimbursing you. When a port is cancelled for whatever reason it is not always practical or possible to replace with another port so in that case you have missed a port and not called at a replacement port then the port fees/taxes that you have paid should be reimbursed but surprisingly money grabbing P&O dont they keep the money and has it has no costs to them it is pure 100% profit which with 2000-3500 people onboard no small amount.
I never thought about the port taxes good information.