Permanent Deck found!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:48 PM.
Midwest
182 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Our first cruise we stayed in Caribe deck and we did enjoy it. We had a mid-ship balcony. However, our last cruise we stayed on Aloha deck and we LOVED it. It was the perfect distance from Horizon, Lido, etc. Also, I loved that the elevator said "hello" to me in Hawaiian whenever it opened on floor 12. We loved the full covered balcony on Aloha deck too.

My question is I loved staying aft but hubby didn't. He wants to move for our next Princess cruise to the middle of the ship. I see that the Aloha deck balconies are pretty small (we had the AFT corner one A747), are those balconies going to run the same as the mid-ship Caribe deck? Really do like being up on Deck 12- so I'm wondering if an aft-mid Aloha would be a good choice in the future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save
Batehaven, Australia
9,679 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by octoberdana
Our first cruise we stayed in Caribe deck and we did enjoy it. We had a mid-ship balcony. However, our last cruise we stayed on Aloha deck and we LOVED it. It was the perfect distance from Horizon, Lido, etc. Also, I loved that the elevator said "hello" to me in Hawaiian whenever it opened on floor 12. We loved the full covered balcony on Aloha deck too.

My question is I loved staying aft but hubby didn't. He wants to move for our next Princess cruise to the middle of the ship. I see that the Aloha deck balconies are pretty small (we had the AFT corner one A747), are those balconies going to run the same as the mid-ship Caribe deck? Really do like being up on Deck 12- so I'm wondering if an aft-mid Aloha would be a good choice in the future.
May I ask which Princess ship you were on and which one next ? Balconies and layouts vary from the Grand Class to Royal Class or on Pacific Princess. Aloha Deck can be a bit rocky in high seas, particularly real aft or real forward. Aft is handy for buffet and MDR's, saves a bit of walking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
The low desert, AZ
3,476 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Which ship?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back."
Steven Wright

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Scottsdale AZ
2,547 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
She was on the Emerald. Caribe balconies would be larger than those on Aloha deck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pre mid 1990's - a dozen or so cruises on Princess, Carnival, etc. Rediscovered cruising in 2008 and here's our roster since then:
Carnival Freedom – 09/2008 Mediterranean
Caribbean Princess – 12/2013 New Year's Western Caribbean * 05/2014 Western Caribbean
Coral Princess – 02/2016 Panama Canal Partial Transit * 05/2016 Celebrating Retirement Mini Coastal Cruise
Diamond Princess – 01/2013 Auckland to Sydney
Emerald Princess – 12/2010 Christmas Eastern Caribbean * 10/2014 Canary Islands & Madeira * 02/2015 Western Caribbean * 10/2017 Mexican Riviera
Golden Princess – 06/2008 Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle
Grand Princess – 05/2009 Iberian Interlude RT Southampton
Island Princess – 02/2009 Panama Canal Partial Transit
Regal Princess – 11/2016 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Princess – 10/2015 & 01/2017 Southern Caribbean Medley
Star Princess – 05/2010 Baltic / Scandinavia / Russia * 10/2011 Greek Isles Venice to Rome * 12/2012 Around the Horn Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro * 03/2013 Valparaiso to Los Angeles * 08/2015 Southbound Alaska * 08/2016 & 05/2017 Denali Explorer Land Tour + Southbound Alaska

Upcoming:
December 10, 2017 - Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean
February 14, 2018 - Emerald Princess - San Antonio to Buenos Aires
August 14, 2018 - Grand Princess - Alaska Inside Passage from SF
October 5, 2018 - Viking Longship Mani - Amsterdam to Basel for first river cruise
117 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
It the fully covered that I want. I despise the balconies that you can look down into from the deck above.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pete Foss
Oxford, MI

1991 Monarch of the Seas
2004, 2006, 2008 Sea, Sun, Dawn and Crown Princess (Don't remember the order)
Midwest
182 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
We stayed aft in the Emerald, mid ship Caribe on the Caribbean. Our next cruise will most likely be on the Ruby or the Regal/Royal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save
Raleigh, N.C.
12,018 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
We have been all over several different ships. I've found advantages and disadvantages to every location. On our most recent cruise, we had a Lido Deck inside cabin. It was convenient to get something to eat in the buffet and to go to the pool.
uk
476 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by JF - retired RRT
We stay aft on Aloha (or Riviera depending on the ship). It's our favorite location.
That's if you like to rock and roll if the sea is a bit rough but then. there's always Dremamine available in the on board store
216 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Also, I loved that the elevator said "hello" to me in Hawaiian whenever it opened on floor 12.
You're lucky. The elevator always said "goodbye" to me.
Oregon
1,519 Posts
Joined May 2012
Our next cruise will most likely be on the Ruby or the Regal/Royal.
Just keep in mind that if you choose the Regal or Royal, it's a whole new ballgame for decks and balconies. Caribe deck balconies are no bigger than the rest and most of the balconies are only 4 feet deep, rather than 5.

If a good-sized balcony is important to you, you'll need to book early enough (or get lucky enough) to grab one of the extended/angled balconies around mid-ship or the deluxe obstructed ones up front on Emerald, Lido or Marina.

Jim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 10-night Mexican Riviera, Grand Princess, Jan. 12, 2018; 1-night Transatlantic to Barcelona, Crown Princess, April 3, 2018; 11-night Baltic cruise, Regal Princess, Aug. 9, 2018; 7-night Northern California Coast, Ruby Princess, Sept. 22, 2018

2000: Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas * 2004: Carnival Pride, Mexican Riviera * 2007: Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera * 2010: Carnival Paradise, Baja * 2012: Norwegian Jewel, Alaska; Carnival Splendor, Mexican Riviera * 2014: Celebrity Constellation, Cozumel and Key West; Carnival Valor, Eastern Caribbean; Golden Princess, San Diego and Ensenada, B2B * 2015: Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean; Crown Princess, Alaska; Grand Princess, California coast; Island Princess, Panama Canal * 2016: Crown Princess, Mexican Riviera; Regal Princess, Copenhagen to NY, TA. * 2017: Royal Princess, Caribbean; Emerald Princess, Vancouver to L.A.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
315 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by octoberdana Our next cruise will most likely be on the Ruby or the Regal/Royal.
Just keep in mind that if you choose the Regal or Royal, it's a whole new ballgame for decks and balconies. Caribe deck balconies are no bigger than the rest and most of the balconies are only 4 feet deep, rather than 5.

If a good-sized balcony is important to you, you'll need to book early enough (or get lucky enough) to grab one of the extended/angled balconies around mid-ship or the deluxe obstructed ones up front on Emerald, Lido or Marina.

Jim

Or one of the aft facing Jim, they too have bigger balconies. We always book a accessible balcony and for us the size of the balconies on Royal class are a killer, hardly room for my wife to get her wheelchair out there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future Cruise Dreams:

January 2018, P&O Arcadia, Southampton to Sydney via Panama Canal. 44 days.
May 2018, Sapphire Princess, Mediterranean Adventure, exploring more of the Med. 14 days.
December 2018, Emerald Princess, Retracing our first cruise, Hawaiian Islands, many miles sailed since then. 15 days.

Past Cruise Memories:

2017 April, Crown Princess, TA Port Everglades-Southampton
2017 February, P&O Ventura, Northern Europe
2016 October, Emerald Princess, Singapore to Sydney, B2B with
2016 September, Emerald Princess, Southampton to Singapore
2015 December, Island Princess, Panama Canal FL to CA
2015 April, Royal Princess, Eastern Caribbean, B2B with
2015 March, Royal Princess, Southern Caribbean
2014 April, Star Princess, Hawaii
Oregon
1,519 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by Bazz747
Or one of the aft facing Jim, they too have bigger balconies. We always book a accessible balcony and for us the size of the balconies on Royal class are a killer, hardly room for my wife to get her wheelchair out there.
That's true, Barry. I didn't think of those because I always assumed those Premium Deluxe Balconies were much more expensive. I just looked and discovered they aren't that much more than the ones with the miniscule balconies. At least the cruise I checked.

Jim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 10-night Mexican Riviera, Grand Princess, Jan. 12, 2018; 1-night Transatlantic to Barcelona, Crown Princess, April 3, 2018; 11-night Baltic cruise, Regal Princess, Aug. 9, 2018; 7-night Northern California Coast, Ruby Princess, Sept. 22, 2018

2000: Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas * 2004: Carnival Pride, Mexican Riviera * 2007: Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera * 2010: Carnival Paradise, Baja * 2012: Norwegian Jewel, Alaska; Carnival Splendor, Mexican Riviera * 2014: Celebrity Constellation, Cozumel and Key West; Carnival Valor, Eastern Caribbean; Golden Princess, San Diego and Ensenada, B2B * 2015: Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean; Crown Princess, Alaska; Grand Princess, California coast; Island Princess, Panama Canal * 2016: Crown Princess, Mexican Riviera; Regal Princess, Copenhagen to NY, TA. * 2017: Royal Princess, Caribbean; Emerald Princess, Vancouver to L.A.
Lihue HI & Calimesa CA
5,079 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Ron the Rev
That's if you like to rock and roll if the sea is a bit rough but then. there's always Dremamine available in the on board store
We've done almost all of our cruises back there (22) and never noticed any rock & roll. Some have been in pretty rough water...Hawaii several times and one 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti.
To each his own.
Central Texas
5,653 Posts
Joined Dec 2004

When looking at cabins, look first at the aft section, but forward of the elevators. Good prices, and nice location. Princess charges a little more for the middle section of the ship, because there are many people who believe that is better for them for a variety of reasons.

We almost always book in this aft section of the ship, and have never had any issue with motion.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next - Royal Princess in December
29 Cruises:..Caribbean (18x), Panama (3x), Mediterranean (2x), So. America, Transatlantic (2x), Europe, Alaska, Tahiti-Hawaii
Ships:...Grand Princess (6x), Caribbean Princess (6x), Emerald Princess (5x), Sun Princess (3x), Crown Princess (2x), Island Princess, Liberty of the Seas, Pacific Princess II, Royal Princess, Ryndam (HAL), Sea Princess, Star Princess