Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:29 AM.
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,310 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Happyholidayer
It's all a bit confusing ...
We did a ship visit to Queen Elizabeth earlier in the year,
One of the requirements for the visit was no jeans for lunch as dinning would be in the Britannia restaurant. Does this mean then men should not wear jeans lunch time when dinning in Britannia on their cruise.
Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Forums mobile app[/quote]

Smart Jeans and Tailored shorts are fine before 6pm.
UK
628 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by orvil
Last week there was a lovely lady in the QG wearing an evening gown with train and a tiara. She was a tall lady. She rocked it. Heads turned in a good way. She looked fabulous.

That was the Queen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Ashford, England
386 Posts
Joined May 2008
[quote=BlueRiband;54247748
Why would you like to sail Cunard if dressing for dinner is not for you? It's like me saying that I would "like to sail Disney" but my life style does not want the company of young children or care to have interaction with costumed characters.[/quote]

Cunard are proud to advertise QM2 as a liner, not a cruise ship. For some the T/A crossing is a means of transport, a posh ferry if you like, and Cunard is the only option.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

At Sea
5,285 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by derekthesailor
... For some the T/A crossing is a means of transport, a posh ferry if you like, and Cunard is the only option.
Hi derekthesailor,

I've met and chatted with some lovely, delightful passengers on board QM2 mid-Atlantic who were using the ship simply as a means of transportation across the pond.
Have you used Cunard simply as a "means of transport" (rather than a holiday) yourself?

By using the Kings Court buffet and adjacent Carinthia Lounge each night, it would be easy for them, if they so wished, to ignore the dress-code each evening. However I've also spotted some of them "dressed to the nines" on "formal nights".
As the Kings Court/Cartinthia option allows casual dress, I am puzzled that the Cunard dress-code is so often discussed/questioned by those seeking to avoid it

Of course QM2 is not the "only option". There are re-positioning cruises operated by some ("casual") lines across the Atlantic, although not as frequent (during the season) as Cunard and QM2 of course.

There is also flying as an alternative.

Mind you, I am the first to agree that Cunard is "the only way to cross"...

However, BlueRiband's comparison is a valid one. I wouldn't book a cruise on a very "casual" line as it is not the sort of trip I am looking for. I would avoid Disney ships for the reasons stated.

I'm not sure why some book with Cunard, and then think the evening dress-codes rules in the MDR, bars, theatre, etc don't apply to them, and they don't have to confine themselves to the "casual" section of the ship once they see what they are missing.

Often "special" excuses are made for this: "I don't wear a suit at home" "I'm travelling before boarding and don't want to haul a suit about" "I've grown out of my suit" "I can't be bothered with all that" "the dog ate my bow tie" etc...
In some cases, reading between the lines, the real reason can be "Clearly these silly rules only apply to others, to the little people (thank you Leona), not to me, as... well, I'm far too special". For them, there are alternative ways to cross (or, as above, keep to the KC and nearby lounge)

Rules is rules.

Happy sailings to you derekthesailor
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
USA
930 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
We have done a 15 day round trip crossing (for my last birthday), and found that the six formal nights felt a bit much, so on one of the nights we slummed it and went to the buffet, but we actually chose the Chefs Galley on the starboard aft side of Kings Court. We found the pasta at The Galley was great and the made to order pizza was the best we’ve had at sea. You sat down and ordered your food and drink if desired there and then you could get what you desired at the buffet.
The Queens Grill maitre D told us we could have ordered food from there or they would have made it to order, but it was nice to spend an evening in khakis and a polo instead of a Sport coat or tuxedo. The wife then did order some past on one of the next evenings.
We did see people in the theater wearing t shirts for a comedian on one of the formal nights, so I guess they didn’t need to meet dress code, which the daily did list as one of the places that required the dress code.
We are doing a transatlantic in the fall of 2018 crossing on the QM2 to Southampton, flying to Rome and the traveling back on the Norwegian Star to Miami. The cost is just slightly more than the cost for first class air, but the cruise on QM2is far more fun with no jet lag.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
First Cruise

Last Cruise

Upcoming Cruises

Previous cruises:
Norwegian Dawn sailed January 8, 2017 New Orleans DOS 12502
Norwegian Spirit sailed April 23, 2016 Port Canaveral to Barcelona Suite 10502
Norwegian Breakaway sailed September 28, 2014 Bermuda Haven Suite 16114
Norwegian Star sailed April 21, 2013 NOLA to Copenhagen DOS 12502
Norwegian Star sailed May 27, 2012 Bermuda Cruise DOS 12502
Norwegian Jewel sailed May 1, 2011 18th Anniversary Penthouse 9502
NCL Seaward sailed May 2, 1993 Honeymoon Cruise (dozed off and missed the muster drill)
NCL Platinum on fourth cruise, never was bronze or Gold
USN missile testing from Port Canaveral
USN Eastern Caribbean Cruise (a round black tube underwater is not as fun as a white ship that floats on the water.)
USN Trans-Atlantic cruise underwater (ports of call Norfolk VA, New London CT, Halifax NS.)
USN Nuclear Deterrent Patrols in the North Atlantic and Arctic Sea
Iowa
1,266 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Cmdr Cody
... We did see people in the theater wearing t shirts for a comedian on one of the formal nights, so I guess they didn’t need to meet dress code, which the daily did list as one of the places that required the dress code. ...
Yes, the evening dress code does apply to the theater although it is rarely (if ever) enforced there.

I can laugh about it now, but for my very first Cunard voyage on the QM2 in 2005, I had been badly misinformed beforehand that the evening dress code only applied to the dining room. After dinner on the first formal night, I removed my jacket and tie and put on a nice wool sweater before heading to the theater. The hosts at the door graciously welcomed me without batting an eye, but I soon realized my mistake when every other gentleman in the theater was dressed in a tux or suit. So I have to admit that I was a dress code offender myself once, but never again.

Regards,
John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

Bournemouth
19 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Of course you can get away with not following the dress code but how rude is that to your fellow passengers who book Cunard because and not in spite of its formality. As my fellow Cunarders have said, there are plenty of more casual cruise lines!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Lancashier
243 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by bluemarble
Yes, the evening dress code does apply to the theater although it is rarely (if ever) enforced there.

I can laugh about it now, but for my very first Cunard voyage on the QM2 in 2005, I had been badly misinformed beforehand that the evening dress code only applied to the dining room. After dinner on the first formal night, I removed my jacket and tie and put on a nice wool sweater before heading to the theater. The hosts at the door graciously welcomed me without batting an eye, but I soon realized my mistake when every other gentleman in the theater was dressed in a tux or suit. So I have to admit that I was a dress code offender myself once, but never again.

Regards,
John
Well done, it sounds like you are admitting that you did wrong. It takes courage to admit a wrong doing.
London, UK
554 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
On dry land evening dress at the opera and theatre has passed from de rigeur to optional to not at all. Smart casual now seems to be the most popular. Surely Cunard have or will follow suit!
The more relaxed atmosphere on Regent and Seaboard is much to enjoy and they are smart casual almost all the time except for the very occasional formal optional which does not seem a problem for most passengers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
1990 Black Prince
1999 Club Med 2
2001 Seabourn Pride, Caronia
2002 Silver Whisper, Seven Seas Mariner
2003 Seabourn Spirit, Seven Seas Navigator, Radisson Song of Flower
2004 Silver Wind, Seadream 1, Pandaw II
2005 Seabourn Pride
2006 Seabourn Legend
2007 Seabourn Legend, Galapagos Explorer, Le Diament
2008 Silver Wind, Crystal Serenity, Road to Mandalay
2009 Seven Seas Navigator, Silver Shadow
2010 Crystal Symphony, Seven Seas Mariner, Silver Spirit
2011 Crystal Symphony, Seabourn Spirit,
2012 Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Odyssey,
2013 Mekong Explorer, Scenic Emerald, Seven Seas Voyager
2014 Seabourn Quest, Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager
2015 Tauck Insignia, Seabourn Odyssey
2016 Seven Seas Navigator, Tauck Emerald
2017 Seabourn Encore, Seven Seas Explorer
Honiton, Devon, England
174 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by eliana
On dry land evening dress at the opera and theatre has passed from de rigeur to optional to not at all. Smart casual now seems to be the most popular. Surely Cunard have or will follow suit!
The more relaxed atmosphere on Regent and Seaboard is much to enjoy and they are smart casual almost all the time except for the very occasional formal optional which does not seem a problem for most passengers.
That is interesting as we book Cunard because it is one of the last bastions of elegance and formal cruising. Jackets for formal and informal nights makes for us a much more elegant experience. We would be mortified if Cunard went down the route of diluting what seems a very successful clothing agenda, especially when there are so many cruise lines that people can choose from that may not want to wear such attire so often. I can only assume the current dress code works because of the new ship currently commissioned by Cunard as otherwise such an expense would not be undertaken lightly.
London, UK
554 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
It would be interesting if on their new ship Cunard are still differentiating dining arrangements according to what you have booked, i.e. Brittania, Grills etc. This is maintaining the liner tradition. Most other luxury cruise lines have dispensed with this and the only differential seems to be in the position and quality of the cabin/suite. We love the dine anywhere and open seating arrangements and are anxious that we will not enjoy our forthcoming cruise on QE.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
1990 Black Prince
1999 Club Med 2
2001 Seabourn Pride, Caronia
2002 Silver Whisper, Seven Seas Mariner
2003 Seabourn Spirit, Seven Seas Navigator, Radisson Song of Flower
2004 Silver Wind, Seadream 1, Pandaw II
2005 Seabourn Pride
2006 Seabourn Legend
2007 Seabourn Legend, Galapagos Explorer, Le Diament
2008 Silver Wind, Crystal Serenity, Road to Mandalay
2009 Seven Seas Navigator, Silver Shadow
2010 Crystal Symphony, Seven Seas Mariner, Silver Spirit
2011 Crystal Symphony, Seabourn Spirit,
2012 Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Odyssey,
2013 Mekong Explorer, Scenic Emerald, Seven Seas Voyager
2014 Seabourn Quest, Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager
2015 Tauck Insignia, Seabourn Odyssey
2016 Seven Seas Navigator, Tauck Emerald
2017 Seabourn Encore, Seven Seas Explorer
Cambridgeshire, UK
849 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by robbie_3
That is interesting as we book Cunard because it is one of the last bastions of elegance and formal cruising. Jackets for formal and informal nights makes for us a much more elegant experience. We would be mortified if Cunard went down the route of diluting what seems a very successful clothing agenda, especially when there are so many cruise lines that people can choose from that may not want to wear such attire so often. I can only assume the current dress code works because of the new ship currently commissioned by Cunard as otherwise such an expense would not be undertaken lightly.
Here, here.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app
Bournemouth
19 Posts
Joined Jun 2013

LMAO! I certainly hope Cunard sticks with the traditional route! We love it! We’ve sailed with other lines and have enjoyed those cruises too but we still keep coming back to Cunard. There are so many different types of cruise lines, surely everyone can find the style they like and leave one line for us traditionalists!

Vale of Glamorgan
3,452 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
It would be interesting if on their new ship Cunard are still differentiating dining arrangements according to what you have booked, i.e. Brittania, Grills etc. This is maintaining the liner tradition. Most other luxury cruise lines have dispensed with this and the only differential seems to be in the position and quality of the cabin/suite. We love the dine anywhere and open seating arrangements and are anxious that we will not enjoy our forthcoming cruise on QE.
I would think so it's all part of the Cunard brand that we know and love. Thankfully not all lines are alike and there is plenty of choice for those who prefer a more casual experience. I hope you enjoy your QE experience despite your misgivings.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Wisconsin, USA
90 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I think if Carnival was planning a more relaxed dress code for the new ship, they would have just assigned it to a different line. The point of maintaining different line identities is to differentiate the brands. If they want this new ship to have a casual dress code without separate grills dining, they would have just assign it to Holland America or Princess.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app
Lancashier
243 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Sibyl2
Of course you can get away with not following the dress code but how rude is that to your fellow passengers who book Cunard because and not in spite of its formality. As my fellow Cunarders have said, there are plenty of more casual cruise lines!

I can not understand people who complain about the formal dress on a Cunard ship, Cunard are well known for their dress code, your read about it in the press, holiday brochures and your Travel Agent should also mention it. Loads of people who sail with Cunard so they can dress up, and what's wrong with that?😙
LI NY
523 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
On the other hand the MSC Yacht Club or the NCL Haven 'ship within a ship' seems to be closer to the old 'first class' concept than Cunard 'grills'.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Back from first Transatlantic September 2017 - round trip
Maybe again in 2019?
Magnolia, Texas
1,355 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I for one love the idea of having formal evenings, and of having to put on a coat and tie for informal ones. Having spent a Caribbean voyage on a Princess ship, where men and women seemed to think flip-flops are to ok be worn other than from pool to shower, I said never again and am back with Cunard for good. If they should decide that smart casual is suitable for dinner, I will just stay home.

If you travel in a Britannia stateroom, you will have a lovely place for dinner in the Britannia Dining room and all the other pleasures of the ship. If you wish to enhance your voyage you have choices like Club and the Grills. This is in my mind no different that having classes on an airplane, where you pay a bit more and get a bit more. Folk who find this offensive, can certainly find a lot of other cruising options.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature