P & O Baggage Allowance! Disgusted!!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:03 AM.
Devon, UK
4,401 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
23 kg has always been the norm for weight on aircraft. Personally i think they should go back to when I started flying and weigh the passengers as well! The standard default weight of a passenger is 10.5 stone I think. :-(
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Staffordshire
548 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I agree Semi-formal is not really the best thing in the Caribbean but I wouldn't like Formal to go! It is P&O you know!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Canberra - July - 1995 - Canaries
- August 1996 - W. Med
- August 1997 - E. Med
Arcadia (old) - August 1998 - 7 Day Cruise Break
Aurora - May 2000 - Maiden Cruise Break
Oriana - August 2002 - W. Med
Adonia - August 2004 - Baltic
Oceana - July 2005 - W. Med
Arcadia (new) August - 2006 - Baltic
Oriana - August 2007 - E. Med
Oceana - July 2008 - W. Med
Aurora - August 2009 - Canaries
Oceana - August 2009 -7 Day Cruise Break
Oceana - January 2010 - Panama / Caribbean
Queen Victoria - May 2010 - Spring Getaway
Crown Princess - September 2010 - Canada / New England
Oceana - March 2011 - Caribbean / Mexico
Azura - February 2012 - Caribbean
Azura - June 2012 - Fjord
TO COME!
Azura - February 2014 - Caribbean
Carlisle
143 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by bee-ess
Have done this a few times and it is quite do-able with careful planning.

The issue is caused by P&O chartering the flights but that keeps the cost down. For example I saw a Celebrity Caribbean cruise I liked for next year last week and got a quote including flight and the flights added £700 each to the cost which made it dearer than P&O.

The other point we have found is that they don't check the weight very strictly at the airport and one check in told us they allow a couple of kilos over anyway for the cruise charters and they don't seem to check hand luggage too carefully. Think it is best to use smallish hand luggage bags not to attract attention but then put heavy things in them (like shoes). We have been a bit over at times but haven't been pulled up for it.
Cannot have been at Manchester Airport. Check-in "lady" had us taking 0.8 Kg out of a case for a cruise flight at the counter to get down to 23 Kgs. Sad thing was that it was the second case onto the belt and the first case had disappeared so couldn't adjust weight between the cases.

Ultimately what came out of the case went on the hand luggage!... Enough said!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Neil

Email: [email protected]

Hurtigurten May 2003
Ventura Nov 2010
Ventura 19 Nov 2011
Ventura 08 Sept 2012
Ventura 27 Apr 2013
Oceana 11 Oct 2013
Azura 31 August 2014

Surrey, UK
1,461 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by ucanttaketheboy
Cannot have been at Manchester Airport. Check-in "lady" had us taking 0.8 Kg out of a case for a cruise flight at the counter to get down to 23 Kgs. Sad thing was that it was the second case onto the belt and the first case had disappeared so couldn't adjust weight between the cases.

Ultimately what came out of the case went on the hand luggage!... Enough said!
No it was Thomas Cook, Gatwick
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
35 Cruises - 20 Ships - 392 Nights at Sea
P&O (21): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (4): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
bournemouth
96 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Hi, I'm not really sure why you are " having a go " at P&O for these restrictions, as the luggage weights are pretty much standard on any fly holiday. In fact on our last holiday we were only allowed 20kg each.
As previous posters have said if you pack sensibly then you should have no problems. Unless you are like a relative of mine who always takes 14 different outfits for day wear then another 14 outfits for evening wear ! You may have problems if you do that. There is always the free laundry or the laundry service if you don't want to do it yourself. And as you are going to the Caribbean you will only need light clothes. I'm sure you will manage.
England
33 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
My Mum travelled a lot of the world on her own and was proud to claim she did it with the equivelent of two shopping bags. She always looked amazing and stood out from a crowd but she achieved this effect with amazing costume jewellary.

In later years she became a Speaker for WI's etc. entitled "Travelling with Two Shopping Bags" and it was very popular and amusing

Unlike my Mum I'm a massive overpacker but even I can manage on 23 kilos thats a lot.

B&M and Home Bargains do a great see through travel bag for a pound with 3 small plastic bottles in to decante lotions etc. in to expanding on the tip above.

It will be hot and warm you will have a fabulous time....
Wales UK
960 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
1. Weigh your suitcases. Some modern hard shell cases are up towards 5 kilo empty. Invest in lightweight one's if you travel or cruise a lot.

2. As some decent trsvel sites say; Lay all the the clothes you think you will need on the bed and take away 50%
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Number of cruises - been on loads and hopefully loads more..
Lancashire, England
874 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by tillybilly321
Hi, I'm not really sure why you are " having a go " at P&O for these restrictions, as the luggage weights are pretty much standard on any fly holiday. In fact on our last holiday we were only allowed 20kg each.
As previous posters have said if you pack sensibly then you should have no problems. Unless you are like a relative of mine who always takes 14 different outfits for day wear then another 14 outfits for evening wear ! You may have problems if you do that. There is always the free laundry or the laundry service if you don't want to do it yourself. And as you are going to the Caribbean you will only need light clothes. I'm sure you will manage.
On page 31 of the new 2013 P&O brochure it states that the luggage allowance for P&O fly cruises is 20kg. If you struggle at 23kg you will be in real trouble next year.
Norfolk
3 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Most luggage over 5-10 yrs old is quite heavy, we invested in a new lightweight one and that was a huge help. All the tips on here are very valid. If you're still having trouble and IF you are flying with BA you may be able to buy some extra luggage allowance. We did this on a six week hol to OZ in 2009. They did allow us to buy another 23kg for about £30 and if your P&O ship is coming back to UK soon you can arrange for them to bring back an extra suitcase and have it delivered to your door too!!!!
Hope this has been helpful
uk
34 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by Denarius
23 kgs is standard now, even for scheduled flights. Having said that, I have done P&O fly cruises to the Caribbean and land tours to the USA with this allowance and have never had any problem staying within it. I follow the rule of "if you think you might not wear it, don't take it"
Is it not time, however, for P&O abandon formal/semi-formal in the Caribbean. That would free up a lot of space in suitcases for important items like shorts and tee shirts. ;-)
O yes IT IS about time, so stuffy and pompous! Wouldn't it be enough for the men to wear a jacket, shirt and tie instead of the old tuxedo thing. With regards to Sunseeker's post, I get the washing of daytime clothes as an obvious -its having to pack a tux, shoes etc in the first place as EXTRA. Makes you wonder if they're doing it on purpose so you spend more money with them by hiring the stuff in the first place. Us girls can wear same pair of trousers with different tops or even a lovely cocktail dress - the issue is if P&O are going to determine the 'out-of-date' so called POSH nights then they should allow the baggage allowance to reflect this. I too will never either cruise with P&O again or fly with whichever airline it is we end up with. Never had this problem with Princess or RCI or NCL had a 30kg no bother.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Voyager of the Seas - Mediterranean - 28th June 2009 (Barcelona) - 1 week
Sea Princess - Caribbean Adventurer - 1st March 2008 (Barbados) - 2 weeks
Devon, UK
4,401 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
As someone has just said -IT'S NOTHING TO DO WITH P&O. - it's the airline that makes the rule!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Whitley Bay, North East England
6,649 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by 1stgarry
O yes IT IS about time, so stuffy and pompous! Wouldn't it be enough for the men to wear a jacket, shirt and tie instead of the old tuxedo thing. With regards to Sunseeker's post, I get the washing of daytime clothes as an obvious -its having to pack a tux, shoes etc in the first place as EXTRA. Makes you wonder if they're doing it on purpose so you spend more money with them by hiring the stuff in the first place. Us girls can wear same pair of trousers with different tops or even a lovely cocktail dress - the issue is if P&O are going to determine the 'out-of-date' so called POSH nights then they should allow the baggage allowance to reflect this. I too will never either cruise with P&O again or fly with whichever airline it is we end up with. Never had this problem with Princess or RCI or NCL had a 30kg no bother.

Well you will be alright then

Dai
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Channel Islands
399 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
I just knew Denarius's post was going to bring out, yet again, the "Get rid of formal nights" brigade.
north bucks, UK
220 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Personally, i find the formal nights, the easiest ones to cope with,
and generally most of my long dresses are the lightest of my packing.
Soory guys, i know your suits are heavier

even i cope with 23kg, and i am a shoe addict, who always has to pack at least 5 pairs of shoes ,...just before the kitchen sink
Thank goodness bath and beach towels are supplied.

not sure about 20kg though for next year ?? is that still with just 5kg hand luggage ??
even when we go to lanzarote for a week, i use all my allowance of 20kg + 10kg hand luggage, so i know i will struggle with just 20kg.
That'll be less shoes then
Lancing, Sussex
4 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Hi, It was never about getting rid of 'formal nights', it's about P&O chartering the flight and restricting cruisers luggage so they can use more of the aircraft for freight. On previous Caribbean cruises we've been on, there wasn't a problem as the luggage allowance was more reasonable, (30kgs), but I can assure you all, I don't intend to let it spoil our trip! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment, much appreciated. Happy cruising to you all!
England
33 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by sammydo
Personally, i find the formal nights, the easiest ones to cope with,
and generally most of my long dresses are the lightest of my packing.
Soory guys, i know your suits are heavier

even i cope with 23kg, and i am a shoe addict, who always has to pack at least 5 pairs of shoes ,...just before the kitchen sink
Thank goodness bath and beach towels are supplied.

not sure about 20kg though for next year ?? is that still with just 5kg hand luggage ??
even when we go to lanzarote for a week, i use all my allowance of 20kg + 10kg hand luggage, so i know i will struggle with just 20kg.
That'll be less shoes then
Only 5 pairs!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,008 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by virginvirgo
Only 5 pairs!!
indeed! I usually take 13-15 pairs!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QV - December 2017

QM2 - June 2018
QM2 - January 2019
north bucks, UK
220 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by cruiseluvva
indeed! I usually take 13-15 pairs!
oh very tempting, but you havent seen the size (or weight) of my shoes.
platforms, wedges and heavy trainers.
when we went from southampton, we took a case, just for my (our)
shoes, (8pairs of which were mine), so bit of a culture shock having to cut down when flying . Crazy i know...but i loooooove my shoes.
England
33 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Well you have to have a pair to go with each outfit LOL

I shall be taking at least 13 dresses one for each night thankfully I'm not flying (I hate flying anyway).

PS totally unrelated but are there any more smilies anywhere? They seem to be a bit limited?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Taunton
488 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
I too will never either cruise with P&O again or fly with whichever airline it is we end up with. Never had this problem with Princess or RCI or NCL had a 30kg no bother.

I would have thought that packing restrictions were far less of a problem than having to fly via the USA and go through their customs. But each to their own.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature