P & O Baggage Allowance! Disgusted!!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:05 AM.
Stoke on Trent
123 Posts
Joined May 2011
I also had issues at manchester last Christmas, as did most others on our flight, it cost my husband an extra £170

They also weighed our hand luggage and my handbag ! On our return we the same amount of clothes we had no issues
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Already Sailed
Ocean Village - 2006 (West Med),Ocean Village - 2006 (Caribbean), Sea Princess - 2007 (Caribbean), Ocean Village - 2008 (East Med), Ocean Village 2 - 2008 (West Med), Navigator of the Seas - 2008 (Carribean), Ocean Village 2 - 2009 (East Med), Independence of the Seas - 2009 (Carribean), Freedom of the Seas - 2010 (Carribean), Ventura - 2011 (Canary Islands), Azura - 2011 (Caribbean), Independence of The Seas - 2012 (Cork), Independence of The Seas - 2012 (Med), Ventura - 2012 (Caribbean), Ventura 2013 - Mini Cruise - Belgium & Channel Islands, Ventura - 2013 (Caribbean), Oceana - Canaries 2014, Ventura - Canaries 2015, Ovation of the Seas 2016
Ventura 2016 - Canaries, Ventura 2017 - Belgium & Hoĺland, Navigator of the Seas - 2017 (France & Spain),

Next on the list

Oceana 2017
Oceana 2018
Stoke on Trent
123 Posts
Joined May 2011
They charged the couple behind us £17 for the 1 kilo they were over too
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Already Sailed
Ocean Village - 2006 (West Med),Ocean Village - 2006 (Caribbean), Sea Princess - 2007 (Caribbean), Ocean Village - 2008 (East Med), Ocean Village 2 - 2008 (West Med), Navigator of the Seas - 2008 (Carribean), Ocean Village 2 - 2009 (East Med), Independence of the Seas - 2009 (Carribean), Freedom of the Seas - 2010 (Carribean), Ventura - 2011 (Canary Islands), Azura - 2011 (Caribbean), Independence of The Seas - 2012 (Cork), Independence of The Seas - 2012 (Med), Ventura - 2012 (Caribbean), Ventura 2013 - Mini Cruise - Belgium & Channel Islands, Ventura - 2013 (Caribbean), Oceana - Canaries 2014, Ventura - Canaries 2015, Ovation of the Seas 2016
Ventura 2016 - Canaries, Ventura 2017 - Belgium & Hoĺland, Navigator of the Seas - 2017 (France & Spain),

Next on the list

Oceana 2017
Oceana 2018
Wrexham
28 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
We have taken a number of fly cruises, and I am definately not one for travelling lightly, I never wear the same outfit more than once, always pack a good selection of day clothing, some of our fly cruises have required us to pack for varies weather conditions, and I have never been short of anything to wear. Just make sure your case is lightweight, I always think that evening bags are a bit of a waste, as you can always ask your partner to put your lipstick in his pocket, limit your evening shoes to silver, gold and possibly one other colour, a hair dryer is always provided in the cabin, no need for beach towels, transfer toiletries etc into small plastic containers and make sure you have a large carry on bag for the flight, ask your partner if you can have some of his luggage allowance, if you are struggling, and plan your outfits before you go. That is the beauty of sailing from Southampton, you can take as much as you can carry.
Broadbeach Queensland Australia
676 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
As Aussies all of our overseas trips are 2 to 3 months due to the distance to travel. Our next trip is 66 days with 2 cruises & 2 land-based coach tours.

We have to keep the luggage below 23 kg (50 lbs) for the flights & land tours with 1 suitcase each. Also the usual hand luggage wheel-on suitcases are not allowed on the land tours – only small carry bags.

We only pack clothes we like as everything we take gets worn many times.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brian & Gail
Upcoming cruises:
MSC Sinfonia (Durban - Mozambique return) - Apr 15th 2018
MSC Sinfonia (Durban to Venice) - Apr 20th 2018
Cruises done:
RCI Ovation/Seas (Singapore to Sydney) - Nov 2017
Celebrity Solstice (Pacific) - Oct 2017

Regal Princess (B2B Caribbean) - Feb 2017
Sea Princess (38 night Sydney to Buenos Aires) - Jan 2017
Royal Princess (Western Caribbean) - Oct 2016
Royal Princess (Med & T/A) - Oct 2016
Celebrity Silhouette (Israel & Mediterranean) - Sep 2016
Sound of Music (European river cruise) - Sep 2016
P&O Arcadia (Sydney to Hong Kong) - Mar 2016
P&O Arcadia (Santiago to Sydney) - Feb 2016

Celebrity Summit (Canada & New England) - Oct 2015
Caribbean Princess (Iceland & Norway) - Sep 2015
Ruby Princess (49 night South America) - Jan 2015
Celebrity Century (Tasmania) - Dec 2014
Celebrity Century (Queensland & South Pacific) - Dec 2014
Diamond Princess (Golden Week Japan) - Apr 2014
Sun Princess (Sydney to Japan) - Apr 2014
Sea Princess (Fijian Jewels from Brisbane) - Feb 2014

RCI Independence/Seas (Norway) - Jun 2013
Celebrity Infinity (B2B Transatlantic) - May 2013
Celebrity Infinity (Panama Canal) - Apr 2013
RCI Grandeur/Seas (Greece & Turkey) - Sep 2012
Ocean Princess (Grand Mediterranean) - Sep 2012
P&O Oriana (Brisbane to San Francisco) - Feb 2012
Sun Princess (New Zealand) - Nov 2011
P&O Pacific Dawn (Island Adventures) - Sep 2011
Diamond Princess (Sydney to China) - Feb 2011
NCL Sun (Baltic Capitals) - May 2010
MSC Poesia (Transatlantic) - Apr 2010
RCI Legend/Seas (Rome to Singapore) - Nov 2008
HAL Ryndam (Alaska) - May 2007
CTC Kareliya (South Pacific) - Apr 1996
P&O Oriana - original (South Pacific) - Mar 1984
SITMAR Fairstar (South Pacific) - Mar 1983
Teignmouth
333 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Sunseeker
I can't help but viewing your initial post as an over reaction. 100lbs of luggage between you for 14 days in the Caribbean! Surely enough when you wear light shorts/tops in the daytime. Most dinner suits are fairly light and the ladies certainly don't wear heavy dresses on formal nights.
You aren't taking beach towels and hair dryers etc so where is the weight problem?
My luggage for the Carib has never exceeded 18Kg and my wife's 20 Kg.
The H&S limit for cases is 23Kg so P&O are allowing you the max for 1 case. Many airlines limit you to 15 or 20Kg.
essex
175 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I too struggle with 23kg but on weighing our samsonite suitcase these are 8 yes 8kgs.. Just pack clothing and shoes. Buy ALL your suncreams and hair bits from boots airside that way it will not be counted in the weighing same goes for anything else. Gatwick has good shops use them if you are going from there.
Thomsons charter from gatwick is also very strict.. £70 for 5kg over for 4adults, and as hard as I tried before our holiday you cannot buy extra weight allowance.
I now pack what I want, if I'm over well sod it I will pay, don't let it spoil your holiday. If you have to pay a bit more every now and then so what. It is a minimal amount to the amount your holiday cost. Annoying I know but airlines now will make money as and where they can.

This is the normal now on most airlines unless you are going proper business or first class. Charter premium which I fly for our cruises is none of these, just a better bigger seat but certainly not first or business, but for me with very bad spinal pain is the difference I need to go long haul, and even then the amount of painkillers which will be taken I do wonder if the extra £250 quid each is worth it!
1,333 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
It can be done and most people can do it. I agree that they need to rethink the dress codes for fly cruises and dispense with the semi formal nights alltogether. Mix and match is the answer and allot of cloths can get more than one wear out of them for an evening when you are only in them from like 6pm onwards. Day clothes are the problem as well as extras you take like camera equipment, laptops etc.
Wales UK
960 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I cannot understand why you are complaining about being charged for excess weight? If you know the limit is 15/20/25/30K and you have not bothered to weigh your cases or pack properly, you have NO cause to complain.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Number of cruises - been on loads and hopefully loads more..
gloucestershire UK
813 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
The answer to the problem is this. You forgo P&O 's charter flight (no refund is available). and you fly to the Caribbean with Virgin Atlantic, upgrading to Premium. Your allowance will then become 46kg pp. Expensive. Of course.

As others have said, a charter is a charter. The allowance is fixed. When you arrive in Barbados you get straight on the bus, and your luggage arrives in your cabin. No immigration to worry about. So that's an advantage isn't it?

I have done a 37night cruise boarding in Singapore with one bag weighing 20kg. When you fly East it is only 20kg pp. I can be done.
SE Queensland, Australia
5,362 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by SouthWalesCruiser
2. As some decent trsvel sites say; Lay all the the clothes you think you will need on the bed and take away 50%
Also - put any money that you think you will spend onto the same bed -- AND DOUBLE IT!!!

Barry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
A Blog of our unusual "World Cruise" - Brisbane to Brisbane, Australia - 12 weeks on two different P&O ships, Oriana and Arcadia - with a White Christmas in-between....UK 2010

A review of our 28 day cruise to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl.... Pacific Pearl to Tahiti

Pics of our "3 Queens" cruise with Cunard--May/Jun 2012...Plane, Cunard and train to Germany

Pics of our 14 nights on Voyager of the Seas -- to NZ...On a BIG ship to NZ

A report of the inaugural cruise by Pacific Dawn to Papua New Guinea ports...Pacific Dawn to PNG

Ships sailed on since 2007

P&O Pacific Star
P&O Pacific Sun x 2
P&O Pacific Dawn x 3
P&O Pacific Pearl
P&O Pacific Aria
P&O Oriana
P&O Arcadia
Cunard Queen Victoria
Cunard Queen Elizabeth x 2
Cunard Queen Mary 2 x 2
RCCL Voyager of the Seas
RCCL Radiance of the Seas
Carnival Spirit
Sea Princess
Sun Princess
NCL Pride of America
Lancing, Sussex
4 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by SouthWalesCruiser
I cannot understand why you are complaining about being charged for excess weight? If you know the limit is 15/20/25/30K and you have not bothered to weigh your cases or pack properly, you have NO cause to complain.
Hi, I think you kind of missed the point, our complaint is not about being charged for excess weight, we offered to pay whatever the excess charge would be, to increase our allowance! Our gripe was the number of formal/informal nights on a 14 night Caribbean cruise, with only a 20kg allowance was unreasonable, especially as we have upgraded our seats to premium. Having been before, we know it's difficult to squeeze it all in!
Lancashire, England
874 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Sunseeker1664
Hi, I think you kind of missed the point, our complaint is not about being charged for excess weight, we offered to pay whatever the excess charge would be, to increase our allowance! Our gripe was the number of formal/informal nights on a 14 night Caribbean cruise, with only a 20kg allowance was unreasonable, especially as we have upgraded our seats to premium. Having been before, we know it's difficult to squeeze it all in!
Until a couple of years ago P&O cruises in the Caribbean only had formal and casual evenings. Then for some unknown reason semi-formal was introduced on Azura, putting presure on packing with the need to pack a second jacket as well as a DJ. No other line, as far as I am aware, does semi-formal in the Caribbean. Surely with the lower 20kg baggage limit (it used to be 25kg in the old days) semi-formal should be dispensed with once more.
Merseyside
377 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Sunseeker1664
There is an easy way round this problem, "formal nights" wear a dark suit and tie, "semi formal" go for dark suit no tie, "casual" wear suit trousers and shirt, no problem, fill the rest of case with partners clothes!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises Completed
Queen Victoria 1st July 2011, Norwegian Fjords
Cruises To Come
Arcadia, 26th October 2012, Atlantic Coasts
Yorkshire, UK
7,171 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I must admit I used to cringe waiting for the luggage allowance, however I now have it cracked.

I get everything out and then put half of it back and only take half with me. I have got rid of any heavy sequins and only take 1 pair of dressy shoes. I leave all the toiletries behind for returning home to make room for gifts and souvenirs.

I do however prefer to book our own flights to the USA as we can pay for an extra bag at christmas and we take gifts to exchange with our friends.
Lancashire, England
874 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by philayl
There is an easy way round this problem, "formal nights" wear a dark suit and tie, "semi formal" go for dark suit no tie, "casual" wear suit trousers and shirt, no problem, fill the rest of case with partners clothes!
A practical solution as long as you don't mind P&O traditionalists looking down their noses at you on Black Tie nights because you are not wearing a dinner suit.
SE Queensland, Australia
5,362 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by Denarius
A practical solution as long as you don't mind P&O traditionalists looking down their noses at you on Black Tie nights because you are not wearing a dinner suit.
Depending on where you come from, that is probably going to happen on P&O UK ships anyway. But it is only a percentage of the passengers - many of them are quite nice people.

Barry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
A Blog of our unusual "World Cruise" - Brisbane to Brisbane, Australia - 12 weeks on two different P&O ships, Oriana and Arcadia - with a White Christmas in-between....UK 2010

A review of our 28 day cruise to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl.... Pacific Pearl to Tahiti

Pics of our "3 Queens" cruise with Cunard--May/Jun 2012...Plane, Cunard and train to Germany

Pics of our 14 nights on Voyager of the Seas -- to NZ...On a BIG ship to NZ

A report of the inaugural cruise by Pacific Dawn to Papua New Guinea ports...Pacific Dawn to PNG

Ships sailed on since 2007

P&O Pacific Star
P&O Pacific Sun x 2
P&O Pacific Dawn x 3
P&O Pacific Pearl
P&O Pacific Aria
P&O Oriana
P&O Arcadia
Cunard Queen Victoria
Cunard Queen Elizabeth x 2
Cunard Queen Mary 2 x 2
RCCL Voyager of the Seas
RCCL Radiance of the Seas
Carnival Spirit
Sea Princess
Sun Princess
NCL Pride of America
UK
673 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
I'm reluctantly leaving my beaded evening gowns at home on my fly cruise to the Caribbean. I'm taking much lighter weight dresses (still long) and dressing them up with nice jewellery. Regarding the problem of men having to take a DJ and another jacket, my husband used to wear the other jacket on the flight then he didn't have to try and pack it in his suitcase. My downfall is shoes - must try and cut down on the number of pairs this time!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sheffield, UK
4,342 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but about 18 months ago I bought a little electronic weighing device called "No-More-Excess!". It's described as an Advanced Digital Luggage Scale, and you can get it from Amazon.co.uk for less than £10. Works like a charm. We've used it on several short breaks when we're weighing cabin luggage, but the scale goes up to 40kg so you could use it for hold luggage as well.

The best thing about it is that as soon as it's got a steady reading it beeps and freezes the reading, so you don't have to try to look at the scale while you're struggling with it. You just use it to pick up the bag, wait for the beep, then read the result after you've put the bag down. Simples!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up:
Oceana 2018 - The Adriatic
-------------------------
Already enjoyed:
MSC Sinfonia (2005), Norwegian Jewel (2005), Galaxy (2006 & 2007), Braemar (2007), Oriana (2008 & 2012), Ventura (2008, 2010, 2011 & 2013), Celebrity Solstice (2009), Arcadia (2010, 2012 & 2014), Black Watch (2011), Azura (2014, 2015 & 2017), Britannnia (2016)

My Blog: http://tomscruiseblog.co.uk
Kent UK
290 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
My Partner was unable to wear a suit, due to medical reasons, for 8 years. When we 'pushed the boat out' on a cruise he decided he would try a suit again.

As we wouldn't have much call for an actual dinner suit he asked a small tailors if it was possible to have a suit made that would cover all occasions, including dinner wear. The answer was yes. The suit was wearable casually or with a dress shirt and bow tie. It was amazing. The highlight was when after 8 years in elasticated joggers he said "Wow, I feel good". It looked like a dinner suit when dressed up and I think he looked stunning.

So the previous poster who said a suit dressed up for formal nights, with a tie on semi formal, and just trousers and open shirt on casual was right in our case.

Where are these stuck up P and O cruisers? We were on Oriana for l7 nights and only met really nice, down to earth and friendly people,. We certainly didn't meet anyone that would look down on anybody.