Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:30 PM.
78 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Dear Jordan's Mom,
My wife greatly enjoys the formal nights and I'm OK with it a few times a year. We sailed the QM2 on a TA back in May (7 nights). The three formal nights were just enough. Not sure I could have done 6 on a two week voyage as you are talking about. However, Cunard and the crew of the QM2 certainly made those 3 nights special and a lot of fun as did our fellow passengers. Casual nights are very easy. For men it is just a blazer. For women, even easier as cocktail party styles were quite diverse. Daytime attire was again all over the board with the exception of "shabby chic". Didn't see any of that.
We had a couple of chilly days but managed to still get our walks in after breakfast on the promenade deck. We also found the hot tubs on the stern of the ship (deck 8 I think) were great in the afternoons on those chilly days. We would head out there in our robes with our bathing suites underneath and a couple of large glasses of wine.
Still, going on a 14 day cruise on a Cunard ship when formal is not your thing may not be a wise thing or as my old boss use to say, "bad plan executed perfectly".

Hint: A number of years ago I bought a used tux from the rental department of the Men's Wearhouse. I picked a classic design and the sales clerk let me go through the inventory until I found pants and a coat in very good condition. The cost was about the price of 2 1/2 rentals and that included a final dry-cleaning. I have worn that tux more than a dozen times since. For our cruise this year I bought a second tuxedo shirt with an updated look.
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,342 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by PRINCESSTHE BEST
Would it be acceptable to wear dark blue smart jeans with a brown jacket and opened neck shirt on informal nights?
see
https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Please note that after 6:00pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship.
Pennsylvania
5,833 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
There are blue jeans and then there are nice denim trousers. A little discretion works, but if you see patch pockets, gold stitching or rivets they're jeans.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Sydney, Australia
1,503 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by koliviera45
Dressing up at night is okay, but if it was 'smart casual' during the day as well, I couldn't do it. This is why I've never taken the Orient Express, the dress code etc is all a bit too restrictive, though I suppose I could put up with it for a one or two night train trip
I'm pairing a trip from London to Venice on the OE and QV in Grills next year. Love the formality. Sadly it's not something that we do often in Australia.

But it isn't hard to dress well and comfortably. A nice shirt, trousers and blazer during the day for men is easy to pack for OE and tux for night. Will be packing a lot more for QV cruise though (thankful for the walk in wardrobe even if I'm sharing it this time).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming cruises:

Past cruises:

Golden Princess Australia Coastal Apr 17; Diamond Princess SE Asia Dec 16 / Jan 17; QM2 Tranatlantic WC segment Jan 16; Queen Elizabeth back to back Canaries Dec 15; Diamond Princess Coastal Dec 14; Dawn Princess Australian Coastal Oct 14; Queen Elizabeth Venice to Athens Jun to Jul 14; QM2 Hamburg to Southampton Jun 14; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Dec 13; QM2 Caribbean/Transatlantic Dec 12 to Jan 13; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Jan 06
Sydney, Australia
1,503 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Would it be acceptable to wear dark blue smart jeans with a brown jacket and opened neck shirt on informal nights?
Jeans aren't acceptable at dinner. For men it's trousers. Jeans are ok day wear (breakfast and lunch).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming cruises:

Past cruises:

Golden Princess Australia Coastal Apr 17; Diamond Princess SE Asia Dec 16 / Jan 17; QM2 Tranatlantic WC segment Jan 16; Queen Elizabeth back to back Canaries Dec 15; Diamond Princess Coastal Dec 14; Dawn Princess Australian Coastal Oct 14; Queen Elizabeth Venice to Athens Jun to Jul 14; QM2 Hamburg to Southampton Jun 14; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Dec 13; QM2 Caribbean/Transatlantic Dec 12 to Jan 13; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Jan 06
New Hamsphire
495 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
No!!
Cove point
85 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by Shining Clem
Thanks so much for the helpful answers to the tux mysteries. The rental expense is more than we would like to spend! Don't know if there is such a thing as a 'cheap tux' in the Rochester area (where they make Hickey Freeman suits & tuxes and have a true factory store)! But we'll see what we can find.

He already has the 'jewelry' covered. 51 years ago, my grandmother gave him my grandfather's cuff link and stud set. They are rather modest by today's standards, but I'm so pleased he'll finally be able to wear them. Also found some funny 'space' socks .

I have glanced at the sailing bds - once we have some of this other stuff under control, will get back to it. Wonder what percentage of the passengers are interested in the Space topic? Thank you for your welcome!
When we first began cruising my husband found inexpensive tuxes in the wedding rental stores. They also
had tux shirts and other details. He has now retired those and bought one from Brooks Brothers. The rental stores are a great place to look when you are on a budget.
49 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
In short no, but smart chinos are fine.
267 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
At Men's Wearhouse, DH found himself happily at the mercy of a very good saleswoman and ended up getting a tux plus and even a new belt, for more than he supposedly wanted to part with. Since rural upstate NY doesn't offer too many opportunities to wear tuxes (local Cornell Co-op Extension dinner?), we'll just have to go on more Cunard cruises. LOL!

Thanks for all the great suggestions - they would have been more useful if things hadn't been postponed until 10 days before they were needed. sigh...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*Celebrity Silhouette, May-June 2015, Baltic; Stockholm to Amsterdam
*Celebrity Infinity, Oct 2014 transAtlantic, Harwich, UK to Ft Lauderdale, FL
*StenaLine, Oct 2014, overnight ferry, Rotterdam to Harwich, UK
*HAL Amsterdam, June 2013, Vancouver to Alaska Inside Passage
*Celebrity Infinity, Nov 2012, San Diego to Ft Lauderdale via Panama Canal
*Oceania Regatta, Feb 2012, Auckland, NZ to Sydney, OZ
*Celebrity Constellation, May 2011, Trans-Atlantic, FL to Amsterdam
*DFDS Seaways, 1980s, Newcastle, UK to Esbjerg, Denmark
Bournemouth
40 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by Shining Clem
At Men's Wearhouse, DH found himself happily at the mercy of a very good saleswoman and ended up getting a tux plus and even a new belt, for more than he supposedly wanted to part with. Since rural upstate NY doesn't offer too many opportunities to wear tuxes (local Cornell Co-op Extension dinner?), we'll just have to go on more Cunard cruises. LOL!

Thanks for all the great suggestions - they would have been more useful if things hadn't been postponed until 10 days before they were needed. sigh...

🤣

Sent from my iPad using Forums
United States
126 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by jordans mom
However, I am not into "dressing up" every night, and while relaxing during sea days - prefer a nice tShirt or Coverup and Shorts over my bathing suit to sit, wander or find a place for day meals.....
so I have chosen many "casual cruises" over the years to many places on NCL.

Would I be comfortable on this type of cruise...I am thinking of the 14 day Transatlantic
If you do not mind taking your meals in the KIng's Court (buffet), and not go to the Royal Court (theater), in the evenings, you will be OK.

But if you really want to experience Cunard you need to eat a few meals in the MDR. Even if you do not dance you will want to wander through the Queens Room after dinner. And the evening entertainment is generally very good.
United States
126 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by hihilo
And we went to the show in the theater, dressed nicely, but not formally, and it was no problem.
Maybe not a problem for you, but if it was a formal night and you ignored the dress code you most certainly caused a problem for your fellow passengers.

One of the great things about Cunard is the fact that the vast majority of the passengers follow the dress code. This who do not follow the dress code but insist on using the public areas in the evening devalue the experience for those who do honor the dress code.
USA
44 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Cunard is the only line I've sailed on that actually enforces its dress code. Indeed, they appreciate that it is a major selling point for the majority of its customers. I was aboard QUEEN ELIZABETH last month and four gentlemen came into the Commodore Club at 7.15 p.m. on an "informal" evening wearing trousers and shirts. No jackets. They were intercepted at the entrance and advised of the dress code. And they left.

We have sailed aboard Oceania for the last seven years and used to its "country club casual" (which makes one think some folks' country club is the YMCA at times), but really liked the traditional formality of Cunard. It's not just dressing because you have to or for yourself, but it helps foster the now unique traditional atmosphere of the line. Don't like to dress, great. There are so many lines that don't like you to, either. Cunard just isn't one of them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
We live on a small lake in rural Nebr.
7,431 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
We found a tux for around $100 at Penney's--sure it's not designer quality, but looked just fine. That was a few years ago, but it's another place to look, especially with sales or coupons off. Sadly it no longer fits. But there is always hope.

We haven't sailed Cunard but would like to. Would a nice navy or grey blazer with dress slacks work on formal nights? In our life style my husband really doesn't need a suit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi
UK
683 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
I recently received a questionnaire from Cunard asking a number of questions concerning my cruising history and preferences. It included questions on formal dress codes. I must admit I said that it was not top of my list for cruising with Cunard. I think they are constantly reviewing the cruising market. If cruise lines with a more relaxed dress code are doing better than Cunard, then you can bet your bottom dollar things will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Vale of Glamorgan
3,626 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Hopefully not, there are plenty of lines with similar dress codes, the formal atmosphere is one of the things that differentiates Cunard from other lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
NYC
3,800 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Nebr.cruiser
...We haven't sailed Cunard but would like to. Would a nice navy or grey blazer with dress slacks work on formal nights? In our life style my husband really doesn't need a suit.
A blazer isn't formal wear. I just came off a two week sailing with a lot of port days. Even informal on Cunard was a lot dressier than "elegant" nights on other lines. Cunard may be a bad fit for you if your preferred vacation style is more relaxed and casual. If a ship's atmosphere runs counter to your life style then it will disappoint you.

Why would you like to sail Cunard if dressing for dinner is not for you? It's like me saying that I would "like to sail Disney" but my life style does not want the company of young children or care to have interaction with costumed characters.
Honiton, Devon, England
208 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
I recently received a questionnaire from Cunard asking a number of questions concerning my cruising history and preferences. It included questions on formal dress codes. I must admit I said that it was not top of my list for cruising with Cunard. I think they are constantly reviewing the cruising market. If cruise lines with a more relaxed dress code are doing better than Cunard, then you can bet your bottom dollar things will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I filled in that recent questionnaire and dress code formal nights were top on my list and why we only now travel with Cunard.
United States
126 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by BlueRiband
Why would you like to sail Cunard if dressing for dinner is not for you? It's like me saying that I would "like to sail Disney" but my life style does not want the company of young children or care to have interaction with costumed characters.
This is by far the best response to the "Do I really have to follow the Cunard dress code?" question.

Well said. My travel agent knows I like Cunard and has directed me away from cruise lines that I will not like. BTW - My "life style" does not require frequent formal or even business dress. "Dressing up" does not come natural. But I like the ambiance of Cunard. It is like going back in time and the dress code makes it possible.