New Cunard Ship coming in 2022

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:32 AM.
S.W. England
690 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sadly, it does not look too elegant, from the impression; especially looking at the forward lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QM2 April 2004 Maiden Westbound Transatlantic; QM2 Transatlantic 2005, 2006, 2009; QM2 Cruises 2006/7/8/10/11/12/14; QM2 Oct 2008 Eastbound Transatlantic - tandem voyage with QE2; QV Cruises 2008/2009/10/11/13/14/16; QV WC Segments 2011/16;QE 2012/13 x2/14; Celebrity Equinox 2009; Celebrity Eclipse 2010/12/13; P&O Azura 2013
QV November 17 Caribbean Highlights.
QV Jan 18 S'ton >FLL

Milton Keynes, UK
622 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Looks a bit like the new Holland America design.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jon : email: cruiser1955 at hotmail dot co dot uk
Future cruises
Ventura - Iberia - 9th Dec 17
Ventura - N803 - Caribbean & USA - 5th Feb 18
Azura - A815 - Baltic - 9th June 18
Arcadia - J814 - Italy, France & Spain - 3rd Oct 18

Ventura - N903 - Caribbean & USA - 5th Feb 19
Queen Elizabeth - Q915A - Japan & Alaska - 5th May 2019
Arcadia - J916 - Adriatic - 10th October 2019

Sailed on:
Swan Hellenic - Minerva II x7 (now P&O Adonia), Minerva
P&O - Arcadia x8, Artemis x3, Azura x2, Oceana, Oriana, Ventura x4
Cunard - Queen Victoria x5, Queen Mary 2 x3, Queen Elizabeth x2 inc World 2013
Celebrity - Solstice x2 - New Zealand and Australia circumnavigation
Voyages of Discovery - Discovery - south Pacific
Holland America - Zanndam x2
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - south America & Falklands
Danube - Johann Strauss
Nile - RA2, MISR Serenade, MISR Rhapsody, Prince Abbas
Santa Cruz (Galapagos)
Victoria Cruises (Yangtze)
South Lincolnshire
1,335 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Don't get to excited! Look at the current P&O Arcadia, ordered in 2000 for Holland America, then it was going to be Cunard QV and ended up as P&O Arcadia! Anything can happen in 5 years, and the UK could be in a post Brexit depression around then.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Valentine Jewell

40 cruises since 1991

To come, number 41
QUEEN ELIZABETH, November 2017
Vale of Glamorgan
3,452 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Interesting, thanks for posting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
NY Metro Area
418 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by cruiser1955

That's not a good sign. No real promenade deck on that ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Georgia
8,880 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by cruiser1955
That was my first impression, but then I took a closer look at the Queen Victoria and was not sure I saw a significant difference between that and this new ship. Now that I look again, I see what you're talking about. It surely does look like a larger version of the Nieuw Statendam.

Originally posted by karl_nj
That's not a good sign. No real promenade deck on that ship.
Positive or negative is subjective, and as we've seen with Holland America's switch from R/S/V classes through to Signature/Pinnacle classes, there will be many people who liked the way things were and therefore will likely not like the changes while at the same time there will be many people who will sail the line for the first time either pleased with what's offered by the changes or perhaps even pleased because of the changes.

What seems undeniable now is that what a lot of us have been saying for many years about these "ship-as-destination" changes - that such changes are probably limited to the economy grade and mid-grade lines as a reflection of the proclivities of the mass market choosing those options - was incorrect. This seems to be a clear indication that those with their pulse on the market for luxury (albeit not necessarily super-luxury) cruises are seeing the same signs as those with their pulse on the economy and mid-grade: A very strong shift towards ship-as-destination, and therefore a moderate de-emphasizing of sea-as-destination and a moderate de-emphasizing of ports-of-call.

I don't think we'll see a Cunard ship with a water park on the top deck or an IMAX theater on board - but I was wrong about whether Cunard would ever turn toward ship-as-destination at all, as well, so who knows?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
11/11/2017 Carnival Magic (W. Caribbean) [Roll Call]
6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
Llandudno, North Wales
290 Posts
Joined May 2008
Am I correct in assuming the new ship will have no obstructing balcony staterooms?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
May 2017 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic
December 2016 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth - The Canary Isles
July 2016 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth - Greek Isles
April 2016 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Dubai to Southampton

November 2015 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Grand Caribbean (3)
August 2015 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic (2).
May 2015 - P&O Britannia - Portugal, Spain and Madeira.
March 2015 - P&O Ventura - Eastern Caribbean
November 2014 - P&O Azura - Caribbean & Azores
August 2014 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic
May 2014 - P&O Ventura - Italy, Greece and Corsica
December 2013 - P&O Ventura - Eastern Caribbean
May 2013 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth - The Fjords and North Cape Explorer
November 2012 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic
April 2012 - P&O Azura - Western Mediterranean
November 2011 - P&O Adonia - Eastern Mediterranean

March 2011 - Cunard Queen Victoria - LA to Fort Lauderdale
November 2010 - P&O Oceana - Barbados to Acapulco
November 2009 - P&O Ventura - Eastern Caribbean

July 2009 - Fred Olsen Balmoral - Western Mediterranean
August 2008 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic
Oslo, Norway
896 Posts
Joined Oct 2001
Considering the rather conservative and unimaginative Carnival Corp PR Department views it'll be another Queen name, dependent on who is the head of state around 2020-21. Queen Catherine maybe yes (If Wills happen to be King by that time), Queen Camilla definite no. so it'll be probably be Queen Anne etc.

Personally I would like to see the name Mauretania or Aquitania return again. Mauretania might not be so marketable as younger generation might associate it more with a third world African country instead of previous famous Cunard liner. (Years ago a friend once told me: "We dine in a restaurant named after a country where there is hardly any proper food at all")

Looking at the design I wouldn't be surprised if they will use the MSC Yacht Club, NCL Haven Concept by putting the Grill Class on top with restaurants, lounges, private deck etc. However I also see some built up behind the funnel, so it might be there as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
  • QM2 Westbound Transatlantic Sept 2016
  • Celestial Olympia Aegean Sea March 2016
  • Richard With (Hurtigruten) Bergen to Trondheim Aug 2015
  • Trollfjord (Hurtigruten) Bodø -Kirkenes Sep 10
  • Eurodam Aruba /Curacao (RSVP) Feb 2010
  • Nautica (Oceania) Black Sea Aug 2009
  • Eurodam Eastern Caribbean (RSVP) Feb 2009
  • QM2 Tandem Eastbound Transatlantic with QE2 Oct 2008
  • QE2 Last Westbound Transatlantic Oct 2008
  • Finnmarken (Hurtigruten) Trondheim-Bergen Sep 08
  • Zuiderdam Western Caribbean (RSVP) Feb 2008
  • Century Western Med Oct 2007
  • QE2 Channel cruise Oct 2006
  • Richard With (Hurtigruten) Tromsø-Bergen Sept 2006
  • Richard With (Hurtigruten) Ålesund-Tromsø May 2006
  • Brilliance of the Seas Med (Atlantis charter) Sep 2005
  • QE2 Norwegian Fjords June 2005
  • Kong Harald (Hurtigruten) Aug 2003 Trondheim - Bergen
  • Maasdam Eastern Caribbean Mar 2003
  • QE2 Westbound Transatlantic Dec 2002
  • Olympic Voyager Eastern Med Oct 2001
  • Arcadia (P&O) Caribbean/Panama Dec 2000
  • Oriana (P&O) Eastern Med Nov 1999
  • Jubilee Mex Riviera Oct 1991
  • Royal Princess Amsterdam-Tilbury August 1990
  • Royal & Island Princess Purser's Desk Crew1988-89
Inverness, Scotland
840 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by davyjones
Too many passengers for my liking.

DJ
It's not so much the absolute number of passengers that concerns me (although I don't disagree with you) but the number of passengers compared to the size of the ship.

If the numbers we've seen so far stay unchanged then it will have 50% more passengers than QE or QV on a ship only 25% larger. Or, 15% more passengers than QM2 on a ship 25% smaller!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brisbane, Australia
513 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
It will be interesting to see how she turns out. I did like all the other ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sapphire Princess - 2018 - Southampton to Singapore \Sea Adventurer - 2018 - Antarctica \ Crown Princess - 2017 - South America with Machu Picchu \ Golden Princess - 2016 - Brisbane to Tasmania \ Sapphire Princess - 2016 Singapore to Shanghai (and tour) \ Century Legend River Cruise - 2016 -Three Gorges \ Sea Princess - 2015 - Pacific Islands \ Emerald Princess - 2015 Barcelona to Istanbul \ Sea Princess - 2015 - Brisbane to Sydney \ Royal Princess - 2014 - Northern Europe \ Sea Princess - 2014 - Brisbane to Port Douglas \ Cunard QV - 2012 Med/Adriatic \ Sun Princess - 2011 - Brisbane to New Zealand \ Cunard QE - 2011 - Sydney to Perth \ Celebrity Infinity - 2010 - Alaska \ Cunard QM2 - 2010 - Hong Kong to Sydney \ P&O Oriana - Southampton to Auckland
Georgia
8,880 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
How are those numbers computed? I don't feel that gross tonnage tells the same story as public space square footage. What seems clear to me is that some newer ships are beginning to trade off volume space (read: large, open atriums) for more public space square footage crammed into a smaller ship. No question that that still makes the ship feel more cramped, but that cramped feeling comes from (so-to-speak) the top rather than from the sides, and I, for one, don't find that to be as objectionable. If I want open space above me, I'm happy to go topside, but I don't like being crammed shoulder to shoulder walking down the hallways and such.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
11/11/2017 Carnival Magic (W. Caribbean) [Roll Call]
6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
UK
259 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Not many "real" queens - ie those who were more than the wife of a king - to choose from, so Anne seems a good fit with the names already used.

Overall, tonnage and passenger capacity seems close to P&O's Ventura and Azura.
Pennsylvania
5,633 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Gross tonnage has been and remains a volume measurement, but you're correct that a volume devoted to staterooms accommodating 500 passengers is counted the same as the same volume devoted to grand atria.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise