Cancelling Standard Tips

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:21 AM.
51 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Can you cancel the automatic tip charge on P&O ships if you are Anytime diners. We usually go fixed dining and you can vary tips on fixed but not sure about anytime dining. Info appreciated
1,023 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Potty Terracotta
Can you cancel the automatic tip charge on P&O ships if you are Anytime diners. We usually go fixed dining and you can vary tips on fixed but not sure about anytime dining. Info appreciated
Yes, but how will you tip all the different waiters that serve you over the course of the cruise? Just easier to leave the auto tips on, rather than carry around cash to tip every night.
1,252 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Presumably you mean Freedom Diners. Yes, you need to go to the Reception to cancel the auto tips.

Now that the question has been answered can we please not get into another tipping debate?
1,023 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by dgs1956
Presumably you mean Freedom Diners. Yes, you need to go to the Reception to cancel the auto tips.

Now that the question has been answered can we please not get into another tipping debate?
Wishful thinking?
Yorkshire
1,494 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Your best bet is make time and settle down and read the posts from only the other week

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2529808

Your answer should be in this post , happy reading
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

Thomson DESTINY 28/12/11 + 16/03/1 ... Thomson Majesty 28.12.12 Thomson Dream 26.04.13 ... Thomson Spirit 02.08.13 ... princess crown 26.9.13
Fred Olsen Boudica 28.06.14 ... Thomson Spirit 16-8-14 Ventura 2-5-15 ..ventura aft cabin 21-7-15 Ventura New Year 15 Azura Barbados to Southampton March-April 2016 Ventura New Year Dec16 - Azura 14 nt TA 17-3-17

--
Lancashire... UK
851 Posts
Joined Mar 2010

Yes you can cancel the automatic tip on Freedom dining altogether. Also if 2 people in the cabin you can leave one automatic tip on and cancel the other person's automatic tip.
Solihull
2,194 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
I am so pleased to be going on a cruise and avoiding the rest of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
1,023 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Florry
I am so pleased to be going on a cruise and avoiding the rest of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
But will you be tipping!
Stoke on Trent, England
4,991 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
The answers to this thread made me laugh ;-)

For what its worth we always use Freedom Dining and in May decided to remove our auto tips and pay as we went for specific staff members. It didn't work so in August we went back to paying the gratuities and extra for those who went over and above like the cabin steward. To be honest, no one individual 'sparkled' on the dining room and all were ok, so we were glad that we had kept them on.

Not saying everyone should etc , but on this occasion it worked out well for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
1,023 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Presto2

For what its worth we always use Freedom Dining and in May decided to remove our auto tips and pay as we went for specific staff members. It didn't work so in August we went back to paying the gratuities and extra for those who went over and above like the cabin steward. To be honest, no one individual 'sparkled' on the dining room and all were ok, so we were glad that we had kept them on.

Not saying everyone should etc , but on this occasion it worked out well for us.
That's a good, considered answer.
Ft. Lauderdale
1,254 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by uk338
Hold on - i'm just going to get my popcorn....
Same here, but I don't see why someone would want to cheat others when they work very hard for them!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Renee & Mike (Retired Navy, but not completely retired : ( now AA. Not alcoholics anonymous )

Just 4.5 miles from Port Everglades. : )

Celebrity Equinox 11 day 10-16-17 Caribbean after Hurricane Irma
Royal Caribbean Radiance Of The Seas B2B 18 day 4-18-2017 Australia, South Pacific & Hawaii
Royal Caribbean Radiance Of The Seas B2B 8 day 4-10-2017 Australia, South Pacific & Hawaii
Celebrity Eclipse 14 day 2-1-2015 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Vision Of The Seas 5 day 9-15-2014 Western Caribbean
Celebrity Eclipse 14 day 2-8-2014 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Vision Of The Seas 10 day 2-15-2013 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Jewel Of The Seas 10 days 2-25-2011 Western Caribbean
OXFORD
6,786 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Oh for goodness sake! Why don't P&O just do the same as Thomson and include the tips in the price, then everyone pays their share. Simples
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thomson Celebrationx3, ThomsonDreamx3 ThomsonSpiritx2, Thomson Majestyx3, Thomson Discovery, Discovery 2, P&O Oceana x2, P&O Azura, P&O Oriana, Fred.Olsen Braemarx3, Crown Princess x2, Sea Princess, Celebrity Eclipse, Jewel of the Seas,Independence of the Seas, Ocean Village

1,297 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
To be honest, no one individual 'sparkled' on the dining room and all were ok, so we were glad that we had kept them on.
So the service was average, but you were glad you had tipped?

And that is why the automatic service charge is a terrible idea.
Sunderland England
5,428 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by CRUISIN LINDA
Oh for goodness sake! Why don't P&O just do the same as Thomson and include the tips in the price, then everyone pays their share. Simples
I think all the cruise lines should do that as it is the fairest way for everyone.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
OXFORD
6,786 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by insanemagnet

Quite agree
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thomson Celebrationx3, ThomsonDreamx3 ThomsonSpiritx2, Thomson Majestyx3, Thomson Discovery, Discovery 2, P&O Oceana x2, P&O Azura, P&O Oriana, Fred.Olsen Braemarx3, Crown Princess x2, Sea Princess, Celebrity Eclipse, Jewel of the Seas,Independence of the Seas, Ocean Village

Sunderland England
5,428 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by insanemagnet

It did seem a strange choice of words about being glad he left the tips on because the service was just okay.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
40 Posts
Joined Feb 2017

How much do people tip the cabin stewards or is this in the auto tips