Cancelling Standard Tips

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:16 AM.
Stoke on Trent, England
4,991 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by mds143
Your cabin steward was probably miffed because (I've heard) it's not uncommon for them to "employ" crew members to help them out. The payment, I would assume, comes partially out of their tips.
He got a decent tip so hope he cheered up after he saw it. The other bloke got a small gesture to recognise that he too had been working flat out for us.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Sunderland England
5,412 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Presto2
He got a decent tip so hope he cheered up after he saw it. The other bloke got a small gesture to recognise that he too had been working flat out for us.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app
That was a nice thing to do.
1,298 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by mds143
Your cabin steward was probably miffed because (I've heard) it's not uncommon for them to "employ" crew members to help them out.
To do what?

It takes the cabin steward 15 minutes maximum twice a day to service my cabin, so why on earth would they need assistance.
Kent, England
6,246 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by insanemagnet
To do what?

It takes the cabin steward 15 minutes maximum twice a day to service my cabin, so why on earth would they need assistance.
The assistant transports all the laundry and brings the stuff to keep the stewards trolley stocked. they may also take away the rubbish sacks after the stewards fill them . I have heard that there is a historical payment to the helper as part of the below decks culture. They might be fetching and carrying for dozens of stewards.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
West Sussex, UK.
127 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by sparky43
If the stewards are so poorly paid how can they afford to pay for an assistant?

.......... from their tips ????
Sunderland England
5,412 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Toftwood
.......... from their tips ????
Another reason why you should prepay your tips.
They work 7 days a week up to 15 hours a day give them a break or they will break.
Staffordshire
1,052 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by grapau27
Another reason why you should prepay your tips.
They work 7 days a week up to 15 hours a day give them a break or they will break.
We should not be responsible for the stewards, waiters etc getting a decent wage. We invariably pay the auto tips ( aka Service Charge ) but we should not be in the position of feeling that we should be paying tips even if the service is poor because of the impact on the hard working staff who are giving a good level of service. P&O need to get real and increase price of the cruise to include the tips and stop this archaic system, if they can't do this then they should make the charges compulsory.
1,298 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by davecttr
The assistant transports all the laundry and brings the stuff to keep the stewards trolley stocked. they may also take away the rubbish sacks after the stewards fill them.
The bedding now only gets changed once a week so that doesn't need an assistant every day, and a trolley full of towels covers the remainder.

Stuff to keep the trolley stocked? What is there in the room to be replenished in volume.

Taking away rubbish sacks. What on earth are people throwing away in their cabin.

As I mentioned before, the stewards take under 15 minutes twice a day to deal with my cabin. Frankly if someone's cabin is in such a state it takes significantly longer to deal with, the passenger should be told they need to clean their mess themselves.
Cambridgeshire
2,610 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
To do what?

It takes the cabin steward 45 minutes twice a day to service my cabin. A lot of time will be needed to figure out what things are doing there, why has one of those been brought on board, how do you get a cabin in such a state. Have the passengers had a break in? Do you need to pick all the clothes up, if you do where do you put them. Why have they left sunglasses out near a coat hanger on a bed by a towel? Is throwing the towel on the floor but not in a bathroom an indicator that it needs replacement. On the other hand I do not always travel with my teenage daughter.

The tips are a bargain in my opinion.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas
Staffordshire
1,052 Posts
Joined May 2011
The bedding now only gets changed once a week so that doesn't need an assistant every day, and a trolley full of towels covers the remainder.

Stuff to keep the trolley stocked? What is there in the room to be replenished in volume.

Taking away rubbish sacks. What on earth are people throwing away in their cabin.

As I mentioned before, the stewards take under 15 minutes twice a day to deal with my cabin. Frankly if someone's cabin is in such a state it takes significantly longer to deal with, the passenger should be told they need to clean their mess themselves.
When did the frequency of bed changing change ? In August on Azura it was still every 3 days
Sunderland England
5,412 Posts
Joined Dec 2016

Maybe they know you are anti tipping thats why your cabin is done in 15 minutes lol.
Sunderland England
5,412 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by john watson
It takes the cabin steward 45 minutes twice a day to service my cabin. A lot of time will be needed to figure out what things are doing there, why has one of those been brought on board, how do you get a cabin in such a state. Have the passengers had a break in? Do you need to pick all the clothes up, if you do where do you put them. Why have they left sunglasses out near a coat hanger on a bed by a towel? Is throwing the towel on the floor but not in a bathroom an indicator that it needs replacement. On the other hand I do not always travel with my teenage daughter.

Regards John
Totally agree regarding tips.
Graham.
manchester England
297 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by john watson

Regards John
It would probably take that long to service our cabin too if I didnt pick up after my husband the same as at home. I keep telling him I am on holiday as well but dont think I will change him after over 40 years if I havent done so
by now!
I dont have a problem paying the auto gratuities I think they work hard and very long hours without a day off.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app
1,252 Posts
Joined Jul 2012

I would guess ours is the same. People that leave their cabin in a real state are selfish and ignorant and I agree that they should be made to clean up their own mess or charged extra for cleaning.
Teignmouth
333 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by dgs1956
I would guess ours is the same. People that leave their cabin in a real state are selfish and ignorant and I agree that they should be made to clean up their own mess or charged extra for cleaning.
That could be quite contentious.Who would make the decision that the cabin state exceeds the permitted level?
Cambridgeshire
2,610 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by jake 26
That could be quite contentious.Who would make the decision that the cabin state exceeds the permitted level?

And not only that, how are you advised that this is the case? Ideas anyone?

Do you remember the Alan Partridge "Dirty Protest" allegation with the hotel staff cleaning his room on YouTube? "Alan Partridge Chocolate Mousse" it's hilarious

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas
Herefordshire
54 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Oh dear! Looks like I am going to have to find nearly a thousand pounds extra for my 99 night cruise in January. Any discount on the gratuities for a long cruise?? That amount may be OK for the lucky people that can afford to cruise several times. But, many people, especially older people may well have spent years saving to go on a once in a lifetime trip and then find they have to find a lot more extra money and then feel guilty if they decide to opt out and tip "what they can afford" . All cruise lines should sort out this unpopular system. At the moment I have no idea what to do. To tip or not to tip, "that is the question" I will decide on the day I start the cruise and depending how much I have left in my piggy bank and on the service I receive over several weeks.
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,649 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Josy1953
When did the frequency of bed changing change ? In August on Azura it was still every 3 days

It certainly is every 3 days on Azura now. Just another rubbish rumour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
1,021 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by sparky43
Oh dear! Looks like I am going to have to find nearly a thousand pounds extra for my 99 night cruise in January. Any discount on the gratuities for a long cruise?? That amount may be OK for the lucky people that can afford to cruise several times. But, many people, especially older people may well have spent years saving to go on a once in a lifetime trip and then find they have to find a lot more extra money and then feel guilty if they decide to opt out and tip "what they can afford" . All cruise lines should sort out this unpopular system. At the moment I have no idea what to do. To tip or not to tip, "that is the question" I will decide on the day I start the cruise and depending how much I have left in my piggy bank and on the service I receive over several weeks.
Why should you tip less over a long cruise. The stewards etc work just as hard over 99 days as over 14. You are penalising them for your own good fortune in being able to afford such a long cruise.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app