More "Dumbing Down" of Cunard ??

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:28 PM.
UK
284 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
Cunard could simply solve the problem of Southampton by changing the crossing to New York to Liverpool.
But they'd probably still call it London for our transatlantic cousins!
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,807 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by Transatlantic Tom
As if being called a "guest" wasn't bad enough....

...NOW Cunard marketing emails are offering "transatlantic crossings from NY to LONDON" (or vice versa); cruises to/from London TOO !!

Unless QM2, QV & QE have secretly begun sailings to/from Tilbury, the Isle of Dogs or The Embankment - I wish that Cunard would stop this silliness.

Southampton, Southampton, Southampton !!!
Well, Tom, I have to agree with you. It is sad, but what do you expect from the marketing department when they have to appeal to geographically challenged people? After all the president just seemed to learn that Puerto Rico is an island surrounded by big water and salt water at that!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
South Lancashire
170 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Cunard could simply solve the problem of Southampton by changing the crossing to New York to Liverpool.
Now that would be great !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Black Watch 29 August 2009, 8 nights in the fjords- with mum

Oceana 30 April 2011, 7 nights in the fjords- with mum

Black Watch 7 August 2012, 13 nights up to the North Cape- with mum and eldest son (15)

Queen Elizabeth 19 May 2013, 7 nights to the fjords again - with mum (there's a theme going on here, can you tell I love Norway?!)

Adventure of the Seas 26 Oct 2014, Spain & France with mum, husband and & youngest son (10)

3,515 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Jules.
Now that would be great !!!
Then all the folk from “down South” would have to travel north to board. Wouldn’t do at all.

DAVID (20 minutes from Liverpool dock side)
56 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
As a Lymingtonian who enjoys the relatively short trip to Southampton for sailings I’d have to disagree in the strongest terms that that would solve anything
cyprus
1,287 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Scrapnana
When I told people I was leaving from Southampton, many had no idea where that was or even what country it was in. Perhaps that is why they are putting "London" because most Americans at least have a clue where that is. Of course, anyone who books a cruise to London will be extremely surprised when they are deposited in Southampton.
Hello Scrapnana, how right you are.
I do not see the wording as a dumbing down at all.
Just making sure our friends across the pond know which country they are sailing too. Sending you best wishes and hope to see you on Cunard soon. Xx
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ships,Shoes & Maggiemou
Cambridgeshire
2,610 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
The simplification of locations described by another nearby (or nowhere near), more famous or familiar town or city has always happened in travel and is not exclusive to cruising. Airports are often located miles away from the stated city. Budget airlines quite often take you to a completely unknown airport for less money. I wonder how far away the longest distance is in this misleading but helpful to some issue is.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,342 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by shipgeeks
And it's not really New York, it's Brooklyn.
But Brooklyn is a suburb of NY City and a one way fare is only $2.75 by ferry or Subway.

Iowa
1,358 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by john watson
The simplification of locations described by another nearby (or nowhere near), more famous or familiar town or city has always happened in travel and is not exclusive to cruising. Airports are often located miles away from the stated city. Budget airlines quite often take you to a completely unknown airport for less money. I wonder how far away the longest distance is in this misleading but helpful to some issue is.

Regards John
There are probably longer distances than this, but the longest I've seen from a cruise I have been on is "Berlin (Warnemünde)" at about 240 km and at least 2.5 hours travel time each way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

Piz Gloria
1,453 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by bluemarble
There are probably longer distances than this, but the longest I've seen from a cruise I have been on is "Berlin (Warnemünde)" at about 240 km and at least 2.5 hours travel time each way.
Paris (Le Havre) is a similar distance, perhaps very slightly less
Pennsylvania
5,833 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Pennbank
But Brooklyn is a suburb of NY City and a one way fare is only $2.75 by ferry or Subway.
Brooklyn is a borough of New York city, just like Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens or The Bronx.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Northvale,New Jersey
933 Posts
Joined Oct 2008

Brooklyn is not a suburb of NY City, It is one of the 5 Boroughs of NY City. The suburbs would be located beyond NY City in New Jersey,Connecticut,Long Island and Upstate New York. Regards,Jerry
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,342 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Underwatr
Brooklyn is a borough of New York city, just like Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens or The Bronx.

Originally posted by Cruise Liner Fan
Brooklyn is not a suburb of NY City, It is one of the 5 Boroughs of NY City. The suburbs would be located beyond NY City in New Jersey,Connecticut,Long Island and Upstate New York. Regards,Jerry
With apologies , for not knowing my Boroughs from my Suburbs
However whether its a Borough or a Suburb it is not that far from New York .
Cambridgeshire
2,610 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Some definitions of suburbs regard them as residential areas or mixed use areas being part of a city or urban area. It is therefore possible to that a borough could be a suburb. Some people regard suburbs as residential areas around a city. A journey from London to New York could also be referring to New York as the state and take you to a location a long way from the city.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas
St. Paul, Minnesota USA
616 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by Calliope
Well, Tom, I have to agree with you. It is sad, but what do you expect from the marketing department when they have to appeal to geographically challenged people? After all the president just seemed to learn that Puerto Rico is an island surrounded by big water and salt water at that!

You're spot on, Frank !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tom

FMWCC
uk
165 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by Calliope
once while crossing the Bay of Biscay we sat next to an American couple from Montana in the Lido on QV, the wife remarked that the Mediterranean is rough today, we had come from the Med, I gently remarked that we were in the Bay and had been in the Atlantic for 24+ hours. She seemed most surprised.
Northvale,New Jersey
933 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
With apologies , for not knowing my Boroughs from my Suburbs
However whether its a Borough or a Suburb it is not that far from New York .
Actually Brooklyn is part of the City of New York. Where I live in Northern New Jersey it is a small town that is also known as a suburb. Regards,Jerry