Complimentary canapés

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:49 PM.
UK / la côte atlantique de la France
1,467 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by twotennesseans
I was wondering if the complimentary canapés that is offered to suite guests can be substituted with anything else?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Substituted by what?

We have never substituted our canapés, though we don't always finish them, so I can't really answer you question, though Inhave to say that and I am struggling to think of what alternative you could be thinking about.
22 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
I was wondering if the complimentary canapés that is offered to suite guests can be substituted with anything else?

Personally I can't stand the canapes. They use to offer the chocolate dipped strawberries, but no more. On our last cruise I asked to substitute the strawberries and they wouldn't. The strawberries are less expensive than the cananpes. We were not in a suite but we are elite.
24 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by Corfe Mixture
Substituted by what?

We have never substituted our canapés, though we don't always finish them, so I can't really answer you question, though Inhave to say that and I am struggling to think of what alternative you could be thinking about.

I’m sorry that I didn’t explain myself better. I was wondering if maybe instead of the canapés that maybe a nice cheese and cracker platter. I don’t eat fish or salmon. I’m a simple kind of person

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SF Bay Area
2,537 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
You can order cheese and crackers to your suite but you might need to order them 24 hours ahead of time. They will do it for you.
Vancouver, WA
619 Posts
Joined Sep 2007

The one time we were in a suite, after the first day we were given a little menu card similar to the breakfast card, and you could pick which kinds you wanted. Not all of them were fish/seafood. They were not that exciting though. I preferred to get cheese, nuts, and dried fruit from the buffet or the IC.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Crown Princess 8/16
Caribbean Princess 1/16
Westerdam 6/14
Oosterdam 4/11
Radiance of the Seas 10/09
Monarch of the Seas 12/04
Norwegian Sky 9/03
HAL Statendaam 6/81
3,556 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by BillandLiz
Personally I can't stand the canapes. They use to offer the chocolate dipped strawberries, but no more. On our last cruise I asked to substitute the strawberries and they wouldn't. The strawberries are less expensive than the cananpes. We were not in a suite but we are elite.
We give them to our cabin steward. If he doesn't want them then we offer them to our next door neighbor. If they don't want them they get trashed. Absolutley horrible stuff.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises

05/2017 Grand Princess - Alaska
02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2/2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
1/2016 Ruby Princess - Hawaii
12/2015 Island Princess - Panama Canal
9/2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexico
5/2015 Golden Princess - Alaska
4/2015 Crown Princess - California Coastal
1/2015 Star Princess - Hawaii
10/2014 Star Princess--Mexico
8/2014 Carnival Imagination--Mexico
5/2014 Star Princess (Alaska)
2/2014 Sapphire Princess--Mexico
11/2013 Grand Princess--Hawaii
8/2013 Carnival Miracle--Alaska
1/2013 Inspiration--Mexico
1/2013 Inspiration (b2b)--Mexico
10/2012 Island Princess (Panama Canal)
10/2010 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
10/2010 Carnival Spirit-b2b--Mexico
1/2010 Carnival Splendor--Mexico
1/2009 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
11/2007 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
1/2004 Diamond Princess--Mexico
11/2003 Carnival Pride--Mexico
12/2002 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1/2001 Carnival Elation--Mexico
5/2000 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1986 - RCCL Song of America--Caribbean
1984 - RCCL Song of Norway-
-Caribbean
Oregon
1,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
I’m sorry that I didn’t explain myself better. I was wondering if maybe instead of the canapés that maybe a nice cheese and cracker platter. I don’t eat fish or salmon. I’m a simple kind of person

Since you will be in a suite you can order anything from the main dining room menu - which includes a small cheese plate and crackers on the dessert menu.
UK / la côte atlantique de la France
1,467 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by BillandLiz

OP is in a suite and on our last cruise suite passengers were still able to get strawberries dipped in chocolate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
13,141 Posts
Joined May 2005
I think your best bet would be to ask when you are aboard the ship, changing to cheese and crackers I think could be easily accomplish for a suite guest.

Unfortunately, taste, canape selection and size has really changed in the last year or so. I have been on 4 different ships this year 3 different continents and all were subpar. I never though about requesting cheese and crackers, good suggestion.

Make sure to have afternoon tea delivered to your cabin at least once.....love those mini sandwiches............it is a perk of being a suite guest.
137 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
The first night the canapés are automaticly delivered to your room (when in a suite). We personally don't like them, so have never reordered. Last cruise, first formal night they delivered chocolate strawberries. Now those I like! Our neighbors didn't want theirs, so we got 2 plates of 4 strawberries. I think I ate them all.
San Diego
159 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Many moons ago we were in a suite. We got back into our cabin just after the sail away to get ready for dinner and we noticed the plate of chocolate dipped strawberries. They didn't last long! Day 2 of the cruise and the same thing happened. Same with day 3, but we were getting fed up with strawberries, so asked the room steward to not bring us any more. He then explained that we got canapés each evening and if we didn't order a specific type, it defaulted to the strawberries. We made sure to place an order for something that we liked for the next day.

I'm guessing these days that the bean counters have put the lid on that perk, like they did with the unlimited Internet.
Syracuse New York
2,531 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by land lover
I think your best bet would be to ask when you are aboard the ship, changing to cheese and crackers I think could be easily accomplish for a suite guest.

Unfortunately, taste, canape selection and size has really changed in the last year or so. I have been on 4 different ships this year 3 different continents and all were subpar. I never though about requesting cheese and crackers, good suggestion.

Make sure to have afternoon tea delivered to your cabin at least once.....love those mini sandwiches............it is a perk of being a suite guest.

I agree with you about the canapés the last 2 years. I always selected the salmon and shrimp canapés. The size shrunk to the size of a nickel ( not kidding ) and 6 of them. They looked lost on the plate. Not going to bother with them on formal night anymore.
Sali
13,141 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Orangefan
I agree with you about the canapés the last 2 years. I always selected the salmon and shrimp canapés. The size shrunk to the size of a nickel ( not kidding ) and 6 of them. They looked lost on the plate. Not going to bother with them on formal night anymore.
Sali
and being that small(mine might have been quarter size) they are totally flavorless....
Also in the past they were delivered, my recent experiences they had to be requested.
South Carolina
28,478 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
We no longer even bother to order them since we can't get the chocolate covered strawberries.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
24 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I love learning all I can about cruising. Looking forward to our cruise in December. Hoping the ship will be decorated for Christmas . We haven’t ever done a December cruise.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Batehaven, Australia
9,679 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
We have not ordered the Formal night Elite canapes on our last couple of Princess cruises, they ended up in the bin - awful. One is better off getting some cheese and crackers from the lunch buffet if one wants a nibble to have with one's balcony wine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
midwest
4,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
We don't order them anymore either. It is time they make a change. I think it has been over 15 years that they offer the same ones every night in suites. We usually forget to cancel them on the firs night and give them away.
San Mateo, California
5,542 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by donswife
The one time we were in a suite, after the first day we were given a little menu card similar to the breakfast card, and you could pick which kinds you wanted. Not all of them were fish/seafood. They were not that exciting though. I preferred to get cheese, nuts, and dried fruit from the buffet or the IC.
I am with you, easy to get cheese and crackers, nuts, from buffet or in port....