lunch upon debarkation

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:49 PM.
Wayne, NJ
3,212 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Where is the best place to head for complimentary lunch upon arrival besides the buffet?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
15 cruises and counting!!!

Southern, Eastern & Western Caribbean, Alaska, Bermuda, Canada/New England
pa
7,020 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by lauren0309
Where is the best place to head for complimentary lunch upon arrival besides the buffet?
I assume you mean embarkation, boarding day.
One DR open from noon to 1:30.
International Cafe
Grill with all the normal grill stuff and pizza by the slice outdoors by the Lido Pool*
Alfredo's waiter served individual pizza and other menu items**
*The Caribbean Princess has enhanced menus in these areas
**Royal class ships, plus the Grand Princess and the Sapphire Princess.
2,262 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
I'd recommend the dining room. Only one is open so you may have to search a little to find the one. Princess does tend to keep this a secret. When you ask some crew members they simply tell you the buffet is open.
San Francisco
3,744 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
You don’t say what ship you will be on. As others have said the one of the Main Dinning Rooms will be opened. The staff usually says the buffet but MDR is great for a nice sitdown lunch, less crowded & relaxing.

Tom😀
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USS Coral Sea, CVA 43, 1966-1967
Northville, MI
567 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
I think Alfredo's is open (if on your ship.) Good time to try it with all the other options one faces for the rest of the cruise. And on some ships, the location is pretty good to watch the new boarders strolling on by.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Redwing55
Northville, Michigan
Wayne, NJ
3,212 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Regal Princess embarkation day
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
15 cruises and counting!!!

Southern, Eastern & Western Caribbean, Alaska, Bermuda, Canada/New England
Inland Empire, CA
10,089 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
The Concerto DR midship on Fiesta deck should be open for lunch from noon until 1:30 but the doors may close a bit early. That would be my first choice and where we try to eat at the start of each of our cruises. If you arrive late then I would suggest Alfredo's which is also midship on Fiesta deck. Other choices are the International Cafe midship on Plaza deck which is nice for a sandwich, salad or soup, and on Lido deck you have Prego Pizzeria for take away pizza buy the slice or Trident Grill for take away burgers, hot dogs, bratwurst and grilled chicken sandwiches served with fries. There are a lot of complementary alternatives to the buffet on embarkation day.

The buffet on the Regal is much larger than most Princess ships with a great assortment of food but we didn't eat there on embarkation day on our cruise so I don't know about crowds on embarkation day for lunch.

The only extra charge dining venue open for lunch is the Ocean Seafood Bar on the Promenade deck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 11/17 - Ruby Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan; 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Sydney, Australia
7,561 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Tak8
I'd recommend the dining room. Only one is open so you may have to search a little to find the one. Princess does tend to keep this a secret. When you ask some crew members they simply tell you the buffet is open.
It's always listed in the embarkation day Patter which will be in your cabin mailbox, or you can pick up an extra copy at Guest Services.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean

Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Chelsea MA
3,979 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Lauren,
We love to go to Alfredo’s. The food there is sooooooo good. The Horizon Court is a madhouse stay away.
By the way there’s no charge at Alfredo’s.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

UK
388 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Lucky TGO
Lauren,
We love to go to Alfredo’s. The food there is sooooooo good. The Horizon Court is a madhouse stay away.
By the way there’s no charge at Alfredo’s.
Tony
We are on our first Princess cruise next May (the Sapphire) and I think we will head to Alfredo's upon embarkation. Just need to convince the wife (daughter will be no problem to persuade). Is it just Pizza or are there other options?
Inland Empire, CA
10,089 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Burgmeister
We are on our first Princess cruise next May (the Sapphire) and I think we will head to Alfredo's upon embarkation. Just need to convince the wife (daughter will be no problem to persuade). Is it just Pizza or are there other options?
The Alfredo's menu on the Sapphire and Grand is only pizzas but they may allow you to bring in food from the International Cafe across the Piazza.

Alfredo's on the Royal, Regal and Majestic have an expanded menu of Italian dishes in addition to very good pizza.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 11/17 - Ruby Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan; 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Inland Empire, CA
10,089 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Ah. OK. Thanks IECalCruiser. Might be a tough sell then.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UK
388 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by IECalCruiser
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

That's OK. I appreciate that you are merely the messenger!

At least I know that I need to start softening the wife up in preparation!
USA
6,465 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by IECalCruiser
The Alfredo's menu on the Sapphire and Grand is only pizzas but they may allow you to bring in food from the International Cafe across the Piazza.

Alfredo's on the Royal, Regal and Majestic have an expanded menu of Italian dishes in addition to very good pizza.

Glad to see that Alfredo's on Royal will have expanded menu for us in December
Oregon
1,519 Posts
Joined May 2012
Can you ask for items to be left off of the pizzas?
Yes. They have set pizzas for the sake of having a menu, but you can have any or none of the items that are offered. Plain cheese if you want it, or just "hold the" whatever.

They are almost gourmet pizzas, in my opinion, not the greasy stuff the gang gets after a softball game. They almost seem healthy.

Alfredo's is my choice on embarkation day because it's quieter than the buffet and less time-consuming than the MDR, also open later.

Jim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 10-night Mexican Riviera, Grand Princess, Jan. 12, 2018; 1-night Transatlantic to Barcelona, Crown Princess, April 3, 2018; 11-night Baltic cruise, Regal Princess, Aug. 9, 2018; 7-night Northern California Coast, Ruby Princess, Sept. 22, 2018

2000: Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas * 2004: Carnival Pride, Mexican Riviera * 2007: Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera * 2010: Carnival Paradise, Baja * 2012: Norwegian Jewel, Alaska; Carnival Splendor, Mexican Riviera * 2014: Celebrity Constellation, Cozumel and Key West; Carnival Valor, Eastern Caribbean; Golden Princess, San Diego and Ensenada, B2B * 2015: Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean; Crown Princess, Alaska; Grand Princess, California coast; Island Princess, Panama Canal * 2016: Crown Princess, Mexican Riviera; Regal Princess, Copenhagen to NY, TA. * 2017: Royal Princess, Caribbean; Emerald Princess, Vancouver to L.A.
Chelsea MA
3,979 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Thanks Jim
Thanks Jim what about me?? I told everyone to go there first. Just kidding have a great cruise!!
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature