Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:19 AM.
234 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
HI... for a long time I have wanted to sail on the QM.

My parents enjoyed many Cunard cruises over the years - and I remember their stories of the great ships and experiences (note: Mom loved to dress, Dad not so much - but he went along as long as Mom pulled it all together! )

However, I am not into "dressing up" every night, and while relaxing during sea days - prefer a nice tShirt or Coverup and Shorts over my bathing suit to sit, wander or find a place for day meals.....
so I have chosen many "casual cruises" over the years to many places on NCL.

Would I be comfortable on this type of cruise...I am thinking of the 14 day Transatlantic - dont really need any tours of Europe - been there plenty of times/ done that

But I do love Sea Days!

Thanks!
Hawaii
236 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I've did the T/A on QM2 last NOV + will be doing it again this NOV. On the formal nights, there's plenty of guests who avoid the MDR and its " dress code" and they eat happily in the buffet. Wearing decent clothing in the buffet ( no jeans and cut offs and tee shirts) is easy to do. And you will feel fine. And we went to the show in the theater, dressed nicely, but not formally, and it was no problem. The QM2 is a GREAT ship, and the T/A is awesome.
Virginia
21,810 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
You will find very few people who do not dress casually during the day. Your example is fine and you will see others dressed the same.
2,914 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
I agree- you will be perfectly fine- casual does not mean " shabby" ! Queen Mary2 is no Carnival Fun ship though! I am sure you will love the ship and the service the staff provides!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Hawaii
236 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Altho-- you do know-- Right ?? there's not much weather that is going to make you wear shorts or swim suits on a T/A crossing.
Oakland, CA USA
1,755 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Yes, folks dress very casually during the day on the QM2 crossings. However, the weather is often not warm and sunny, in fact, one usually wears a wind breaker on a sunny day stroll on deck. There is one pool in a sheltered area; the outdoor pool is not very useable on many days on a crossing. So wandering around in shorts, t-shirt, and cover-up of a swim suit does not fit the crossing experience weather-wise. I think you may be imaging an NCL cruise in the Med or Caribbean. Not a crossing of the North Atlantic. Still casual clothes are common during the day, and in the buffet at night on formal nights.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 34 Days
Crystal: 31 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
Princess: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,309 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by jordans mom

My parents enjoyed many Cunard cruises over the years - and I remember their stories of the great ships and experiences (note: Mom loved to dress, Dad not so much - but he went along as long as Mom pulled it all together! )

However, I am not into "dressing up" every night, and while relaxing during sea days - prefer a nice tShirt or Coverup and Shorts over my bathing suit to sit, wander or find a place for day meals.....

Would I be comfortable on this type of cruise...I am thinking of the 14 day Transatlantic - dont really need any tours of Europe - been there plenty of times/ done that

But I do love Sea Days!

Thanks!
You will be fine in casual smart shorts and Tee/ top during the day, with comfortable shoes.
Many will also be dressed similar as inside the ship can be quite warm and a quick walk with breeze around the deck when sun shining is refreshing.
You certainly will not be alone in that way of dressing.

Cunard state
All Cunard ships have a dress code on board in order to create an ambience throughout the ship and set the tone for the evening.
During the day, you’ll probably find yourself most comfortable in stylish casual wear, including shorts and smart jeans and during the evening one of two dress codes will apply, formal and informal.
The dress code changes each evening and applies in the main areas of the ship after 6.00pm. You will be notified of the evening’s dress code in your Daily Programme and you can also find out how many of each dress code you can expect on your Voyage Personaliser.
If you wish to dress more casually, you are welcome to dine in the buffet restaurants and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden, Garden Lounge, Yacht Club, G32 or on the open decks.
A full break down of dress codes, the number of formal nights and any themed balls can be viewed via the link below along with the suggested attire for each type of evening: What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?
https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code
New Jersey
8,981 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by hihilo
Altho-- you do know-- Right ?? there's not much weather that is going to make you wear shorts or swim suits on a T/A crossing.
On our recent crossing, I saw a man in shorts and Hawaiian shirt and he was complaining that the weather was so cold. People tend to equate "cruise" with warm weather and don't think about the route the crossing takes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
11 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Magnolia, Texas
1,355 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
As other have said the weather Trans Atlantic is not a Mediterranean or Caribbean like and except for the Pavilion pool in Queen Mary 2, I doubt you will do much swimming out doors.

I do think, however you might be a bit underdressed in shorts and a tee shirt in the evening. Think of it in terms of "business casual" and you will be ok. Super casual might get you into the buffet, but not likely the other dining venues, even those with out a supplement.

One of the pleasures of a Cunard crossing is getting to dress a bit more formally than is customary in everyday Europe or the US. To wear the clothes that otherwise sit in the closet all the time. Its fun to be with other smartly dressed people enjoying the evening activities on the Cunard Queens.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Canada
43 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
True story: on my most recent crossing I saw a man who wore a denim mini skirt and woman's lace stockings during the day (nothing wrong with that). Not sure about the evening. The main theme during the days is comfortable clothing. People wear what they want. The evening is always dressing up and I do admit that I am not always in the mood to put my tux on, the end result is worth it when you see everyone in more formal attire. It is a great feeling of occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
New Hamsphire
494 Posts
Joined Feb 2015

But I do love Sea Days!

Thanks!
Having sailed on a few NCL cruises, you will find the level of attire even though Cunard folk consider it casual to be way above that on an NCL sailing. Do plan if you take any meals in the Britannia Dining Room to wear better slacks or if you must shorts during the day and of course in the evening a jacket and dress slacks and proper shoes are required. Sadly ties have been retired as a must but the majority of males still will be wearing then. Formal evenings are as the word implies formal with tux the choice of most with a decent black or dark blue suit, white shirt and tie followed. As others have stated you can still find a decent dinner in the buffet section should such attire not be to your liking and the lounge next door is quite nice with the redo and it offers libations and music.Transatlantic sailings tend t be more formal both day and evening than the cruises.
267 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Speaking of 'formal' - Can one rent a tux on board through Cunard? On a very superficial look at the web site, I didn't see any thing about rentals, but our TA thought they did rent on board. ???

We are going for Space Week from Brooklyn next month and returning to NYC on the QM2 the following week. I know my DH would rather wear a space suit, than a tux!

Any information would be appreciated.

"... Formal evenings are as the word implies formal with tux the choice of most with a decent black or dark blue suit, white shirt and tie followed. As others have stated you can still find a decent dinner in the buffet section should such attire not be to your liking and the lounge next door is quite nice with the redo and it offers libations and music.Transatlantic sailings tend t be more formal both day and evening than the cruises.[/quote]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*Celebrity Silhouette, May-June 2015, Baltic; Stockholm to Amsterdam
*Celebrity Infinity, Oct 2014 transAtlantic, Harwich, UK to Ft Lauderdale, FL
*StenaLine, Oct 2014, overnight ferry, Rotterdam to Harwich, UK
*HAL Amsterdam, June 2013, Vancouver to Alaska Inside Passage
*Celebrity Infinity, Nov 2012, San Diego to Ft Lauderdale via Panama Canal
*Oceania Regatta, Feb 2012, Auckland, NZ to Sydney, OZ
*Celebrity Constellation, May 2011, Trans-Atlantic, FL to Amsterdam
*DFDS Seaways, 1980s, Newcastle, UK to Esbjerg, Denmark
San Francisco, CA
1,109 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by Shining Clem
Speaking of 'formal' - Can one rent a tux on board through Cunard?
Yes you can, but it's probably less expensive to buy a cheap tux.
https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/Formal_Hire
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Mark Katzenberger

Upcoming Queen Mary 2 - RT N Atlantic crossing - 2018
Queen Mary 2 - RT crossing + Bruges - 2017, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2016, Celebrity Infinity - S. America - 2015,
Star Princess - Pacific repo - 2015, AMACello - Rhine - 2013, Norwegian Spirit - W Caribbean - 2011,
Crystal Serenity - E Med - 2010, Queen Mary 2 - Canada - 2009, Eurodam - Baltics - 2009,
Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2008, Queen Elizabeth 2 - W Med - 2008, Amsterdam - Alaska - 2007,
Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean - 2007, Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 2005, Star Princess - Mexico - 2002,
Carnival Spirit - Pacific repo - 2001, Norwegian Majesty - S Caribbean - 2001, Rembrandt - Canada - 2000,
Seabourn Sun - SF cruise to nowhere - 2000, Queen Elizabeth 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 1999, Zenith - Bermuda - 1998,
Queen Elizabeth 2 - Panama Canal - 1997, Celebrity Century - W Caribbean - 1996, Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 1993,
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific repo - 1993, Crown Princess - E Caribbean - 1991, Westerdam - Mexico repo - 1990,
Queen Elizabeth 2 - Hawaii - 1989, Cunard Princess - Pacific repo - 1987
927 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Speaking of 'formal' - Can one rent a tux on board through Cunard? On a very superficial look at the web site, I didn't see any thing about rentals, but our TA thought they did rent on board. ???

We are going for Space Week from Brooklyn next month and returning to NYC on the QM2 the following week. I know my DH would rather wear a space suit, than a tux!

Any information would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Welcome. We are on the same cruise. Have you been on the roll call for that cruise?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruise

Home Lines Oceanic 6/1971
Carnival Jubilee 11/1986
Carnival Jubilee 7/1988
Carnival Celebration 1/1990
NCL Norway 3/1991
Royal Caribbean Sovereign 7/1992
Royal Caribbean Song of America 7/1993
Celebrity Horizon 8/1994
Carnival Fantasy 11/1994
Royal Caribbean Majesty 2/1997
Royal Caribbean Majesty 2/1998
Celebrity Galaxy 2/2000
Royal Caribbean Vision 1/2001
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress 4/2002
Royal Caribbean Adventure 1/2003
Royal Caribbean Enchantment 7/2003
Royal Caribbean Adventure 1/2004
Royal Caribbean Brilliance 1/2005
Royal Caribbean Vision1 /2006
Celebrity Century 11/2006
Royal Caribbean Serenade 1/2007
Royal Caribbean 6/2007
Royal Caribbean 1/2008
Royal Caribbean 1/2009
Celebrity Eclipse 1/2011
Royal Caribbean Jewel 9/2011
Royal Caribbean Explorer 1/2012
Royal Caribbean Explorer 10/2012
Celebrity Reflection 3/2013
Royal Caribbean Jewel 1/2014
Royal Caribbean Brilliance 8/2014
Royal Caribbean Quantum 1/2015
Royal Caribbean independence 11/2015
Celebrity infinity 1/2016
Bournemouth
19 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by hihilo

Just what I was thinking! Captain Wells describes the Atlantic as the real 50 shades of grey! Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Hampshire, England
1,532 Posts
Joined Mar 2008

But I do love Sea Days!

Thanks!
Hi there Jordan's Mum.

If you want a frank and honest answer, based on what you have written, and particularly in view of..."I am not into "dressing up" every night" and..."I am thinking of the 14 day Transatlantic" then I would say Cunard is definitely 'not for you'.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

267 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Thanks so much for the helpful answers to the tux mysteries. The rental expense is more than we would like to spend! Don't know if there is such a thing as a 'cheap tux' in the Rochester area (where they make Hickey Freeman suits & tuxes and have a true factory store)! But we'll see what we can find.

He already has the 'jewelry' covered. 51 years ago, my grandmother gave him my grandfather's cuff link and stud set. They are rather modest by today's standards, but I'm so pleased he'll finally be able to wear them. Also found some funny 'space' socks .

I have glanced at the sailing bds - once we have some of this other stuff under control, will get back to it. Wonder what percentage of the passengers are interested in the Space topic? Thank you for your welcome!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
267 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
To Jordon's Mom-

One place you might look is on YouTube. People have posted films of the evening dining and other spots on board the QM2 such as the buffet, pub. You don't have to eat in the MDR, or the Grills every night.

I also think the degree of formality goes up when you chose a cabin where you eat in the Grills.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pennsylvania
5,633 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Thanks so much for the helpful answers to the tux mysteries. The rental expense is more than we would like to spend! Don't know if there is such a thing as a 'cheap tux' in the Rochester area (where they make Hickey Freeman suits & tuxes and have a true factory store)! But we'll see what we can find.
JosA.Bank occasionally has a 70% sale during which their tuxes become somewhat reasonably priced.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
7 Posts
Joined Aug 2017

But I do love Sea Days!

Thanks!

Dressing up at night is okay, but if it was 'smart casual' during the day as well, I couldn't do it. This is why I've never taken the Orient Express, the dress code etc is all a bit too restrictive, though I suppose I could put up with it for a one or two night train trip