Oriana. Embarkation deck

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:31 AM.
UK
191 Posts
Joined May 2009
which deck is used for embarkation and disembarkation?
Can't find this information anywhere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean - 2010
Saga Sapphire - One night taster - 2012
P and O Aurora - Mini cruise 2013
P and O Azura - Norwegian Fjords 3 May 2014
P and O Ventura Iberia March 2017
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
535 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Assuming you mean at Southampton, then - purely from memory, I think it is normally F Deck, or maybe E Deck, in the Atrium area.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise).

Future: CMV Marco Polo to Iceland.
Devon, UK
4,349 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Also depends on the port? How high is the concrete pontoon. I have disembarked from Decks, 4, 5, 6 and 7. Got off last Sunday on Deck 7 at Southampton.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

535 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by jeanlyon
Also depends on the port? How high is the concrete pontoon. I have disembarked from Decks, 4, 5, 6 and 7. Got off last Sunday on Deck 7 at Southampton.
That must have been an exceptionally low tide at Southampton then Jean. Isn't Deck 7 Promenade Deck?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise).

Devon, UK
4,349 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Yes Andrew, Prom Deck it was. We self-disembarked and only had one deck to go down from D deck. Also as we were 24 hours delayed, we were at QEII terminal, don't know if that makes any difference.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Devon, uk
1,689 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Dont forget at Southampton they use an Airbridge for passengers...lots of activity going on lower down for crew and supplies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed on.....
P&O Arcadia (old) 2001. P&O Arcadia(new)2006. P&O Artemis 2007
Cunard QE2 2008. Cunard QV 2010. Cunard QM2 2011.
Cunard QE2013. P&O Azura 2014. P&O Azura 2015
P&O Arcadia 2015. P&O Oriana - May 2016
Riviera Travel Rhone River cruise September 2016
Adonia 2017

To come....
Fred Olsen Balmoral 2017
Northern Lights, Oriana, 2018
Eastern Med , Oriana 2018
535 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by jeanlyon
Yes Andrew, Prom Deck it was. We self-disembarked and only had one deck to go down from D deck. Also as we were 24 hours delayed, we were at QEII terminal, don't know if that makes any difference.
Not sure if the Terminal makes any difference or not Jean. I would still imagine it must have been a really low tide. I know you get big tidal differences in Spring - perhaps you do in Autumn too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Wimborne, Dorset
856 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by Britboys
Not sure if the Terminal makes any difference or not Jean. I would still imagine it must have been a really low tide. I know you get big tidal differences in Spring - perhaps you do in Autumn too.
You may be getting confused with the term "Spring Tides" which give the biggest tidal range from high tide to low tide. they occur twice every lunar month, regardless of season. So over the course of a month the difference can be quite significant, the maximum being about 16 feet I believe.
535 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Thanks Brayman. I also thought that tides could be higher/lower than normal at certain times of the year and wondered if it was anything to do with the equinoxes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Wimborne, Dorset
856 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by Britboys
Thanks Brayman. I also thought that tides could be higher/lower than normal at certain times of the year and wondered if it was anything to do with the equinoxes.
Yes it can. The Equinoxes will often create exceedingly large tidal differences. It's all to do with the juxtaposition of the moon and the sun in relation to the earth.