Wind Surf - Deck 1 versus Deck 2

Stuboy

I think we have settled on the Classic Caribbean itinerary for next March but now not sure whether to book a cabin on Deck 1 or Deck 2. There is at present, a $300 pp difference. Anyone have any advise? My wife and I would thank you.:):confused:

Deck one is obviously closer to the water so in any rough seas there could be a bit of a washing machine feeling because of portholes. Some people love that, some others don't . Otherwise there is no difference. Supposedly there is less "motion" on 1 but I doubt that it's true.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by sb44

We have been on deck 1 and deck 2. Only difference was one more flight of stairs to the cabin, and so little time spent there I would go for the cheaper cabin anytime and have the extra money to spend on board, unless I had a free upgrade.

We were almost center on deck 1 on the classic caribbean on the Wind Surf last January. I had one more cookie since I walked one more flight of stairs! I'd book deck one any time to save a few bucks to have to spend on another part of my cruise.

We agree with everyone so far. But keep in mind where the cabin is, forward or aft. We had a cabin (I think it was 139) near the bow on deck 1 (for a 14-day cruise). The only traffic up there was crew heading below decks. Not a problem at all.

In addition we really liked being right next to the water with the moonlight reflecting on the ocean.

However, on another cruise we had an aft cabin (I think it was 102) on deck 1. We didn't like it on some nights because of the vibration from the screws when we were full speed under engine. When under sail or during short distance night trips under engine at slow speed there was no vibration.

Edited by Host Walt

I don't know this first hand, but I'm sure someone else can chime in. I believe there are a few cabins on deck one which are smaller due to the curvature of the hull. That would be my only concern.

Thanks everyone for the great advise. We were looking at a mid ships, probably like 126 so your comments will be quite helpful. Just need to convince the wife.:):):)

Suggest you look farther forward. The mid-120's cabins are over a pump of some sort that can be quite noisy at night. The "forward" cabins are really not that far forward on the ship.

Have sailed 7 times and can honestly say we noticed no difference between decks 1 and 2 other than you are closer to the water looking out the porthole, where we were normally only while sleeping. Certainly not worth paying even $100 more IMO.

More important to us is to locate forward to avoid gangplank noise (deck 2) and engine thruster noise when docking. Our preference is to book in the high 130's or low 140's.

Have a blast!

All cabins on deck 1 and 2 are the same. I would prefer a forward or aft cabin. When the ship enters or leaves a port they close the sea doors. People caught in the middle cannot access the elevators on Windsurf.

True, but there are stairs available.

Many people don't care about the elevator. However, if the elevator is important to you, stay aft or forward. I prefer deck one forward. It is really midship, close to the elevator that goes up to the veranda, lounge, Stella Bistro, and Aamphora. I chose the Windsurf because it has an elevator. My spouse is disabled and using an elevator makes a huge difference. The first time we were on Windsurf, we were in 127. Every time we entered or left a port, the sea doors closed. That meant climbing 2 flights of stairs until we had access to an elevator. After that, we have booked forward or aft. From deck one to the veranda is 5 flights of stairs. For many this is good exercise. For others, it is a waste of time and can be a physical challenge.

We just returned from Windsurf's "Morocco and Southern Spain" itinerary and were in stateroom 106. The location was convenient to the stairs and elevator. The noise of the bow thrusters and activity related to docking/setting up the gangway did wake us in the morning, but it was typically time to get up and going anyway for tours.

I smelt no smoke coming from lower floors, and I am very sensitive to this (the streets and outdoor cafes of Spain and Portugal are another story...wow do Europeans light up! )

It was cool being so close to the waterline. On two evenings the waves lapped up to and over the portholes.

Caution that at times when we docked on our side the port holes were at street level....must keep curtains closed for privacy!