Casual Elegance - Help please

new_cruiser

I'm starting to pack for the Windsurf December 12 and find that I'm suddenly stressing about the "elegance" in casual elegance. I've been planing on mainly slacks and nice polos for the evening. They say slacks and polos are fine for men. Will a woman be out of place in that? I really don't do sun dresses or frilly tops - never feel like myself in them.

I would think slacks and polos would be fine. I wore slacks and capris and sandals. I had a pair of black slacks that I could dress up or down with blouses depending on my mood.

Hope the weather holds up here in Sacramento for your departure and the airport doesn't get socked in with fog. Does your flight leave late enough in the day that you don't have to worry about it?

Jackie

What you propose bringing will be fine. We do note, however, that women on our two weeks in Europe dressed less casually, and more elegantly, than the men. We suspect that clothing will be more casual in the Caribbean than in the Med. Relax, so you'll be prepared to relax on the Wind Surf.

Jackie, don't forget to let us know whether your friends met up with "the only Jewish couple on St. Martin" on their Windstar cruise.

Jackie, don't forget to let us know whether your friends met up with "the only Jewish couple on St. Martin" on their Windstar cruise.

Soon after my friends made their reservations I found out that my cousins moved back to New York for health reasons. I think their son still lives on the island of Saba, near St Martin. It's too bad, they really loved living there but couldn't get the health care they needed.

Jackie

Thanks all for the reassurance.

Jackie, I have a very early flight. A morning flight is the only way I can get from Sac to St. Thomas the same day.

It does have two things going for it - since it is so early, the plane should already be in position so the weather only has to be good enough to allow take-off; it isn't a Sacramento to SFO hop - those are so prone to weather delays - fog in Sac, fog in SFO and if even when SFO doesn't shut down for bad weather they cancel or delay the little commuter flights when they have to reduce traffic to one runway.

I am traveling a day early so I should be okay even if there is a delay - I'll get as close as I can Saturday and do the final hop Sunday.

Archived