On our 5th day of our RT cruise now

Smbruner

We are on our cruise now (Spitsbergen) and so far here are my thoughts and advice of those coming after me. For packing and expectations.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a beautiful cruise, no lights yet -but we’re hopeful.

They keep the ship VERY warm. I wish I would’ve packed more short sleeve shirts to wear when inside the ship as well as slip on shoes to so I don’t have to tie up my safari shoes each time we go for a meal or a lecture and not going outside. I did see one girl in a short casual dress and flip flops at dinner once. I’m from Southern California and I don’t do cold but it’s down right hot everywhere on the ship. You can control your own room temperature though.

They do provide tap water at dinner but they can be very stingy with it so I’ve resorted to bringing a bottle I refill from our bathroom each night. The tap water is fine.

Food is a bit salty to my liking and definitely not as hot as I like it (I don’t like cool food when it’s supposed to be served hot). I’m sure I won’t starve by any means.

Breakfast and lunch is buffet, dinner is assigned sitting at either (6:30 or 8:15) with lots of tables for 2. Whatever is being served for dinner you get, no substitutes (I don’t know about prior arrangements like food allergies).

Some seas are very rough, we got sea sick when the north and south Norway seas met. And could hardly walk in our room or dining room. We’re in the very back of the ship so I’m sure that contributed to it. We bought the wristbands which helps but didn’t bring enough sea sick medicine and they don’t sell it onboard.

Now I look to see when we’re at sea the shortest each day or when in port so I can shower then and not be tossed around.

They don’t provide laundry service but have a laundromat on board (only 3 sets of machines) but they are free and soap is dispensed automatically.

They do not scan your luggage or hand luggage if you get my suggestion.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will post a complete trip report upon our return but wanted to help out those packing now.

We are on our cruise now (Spitsbergen) and so far here are my thoughts and advice of those coming after me. For packing and expectations.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a beautiful cruise, no lights yet -but we’re hopeful.

They keep the ship VERY warm. I wish I would’ve packed more short sleeve shirts to wear when inside the ship as well as slip on shoes to so I don’t have to tie up my safari shoes each time we go for a meal or a lecture and not going outside. I did see one girl in a short casual dress and flip flops at dinner once. I’m from Southern California and I don’t do cold but it’s down right hot everywhere on the ship. You can control your own room temperature though.

They do provide tap water at dinner but they can be very stingy with it so I’ve resorted to bringing a bottle I refill from our bathroom each night. The tap water is fine.

Food is a bit salty to my liking and definitely not as hot as I like it (I don’t like cool food when it’s supposed to be served hot). I’m sure I won’t starve by any means.

Breakfast and lunch is buffet, dinner is assigned sitting at either (6:30 or 8:15) with lots of tables for 2. Whatever is being served for dinner you get, no substitutes (I don’t know about prior arrangements like food allergies).

Some seas are very rough, we got sea sick when the north and south Norway seas met. And could hardly walk in our room or dining room. We’re in the very back of the ship so I’m sure that contributed to it. We bought the wristbands which helps but didn’t bring enough sea sick medicine and they don’t sell it onboard.

Now I look to see when we’re at sea the shortest each day or when in port so I can shower then and not be tossed around.

They don’t provide laundry service but have a laundromat on board (only 3 sets of machines) but they are free and soap is dispensed automatically.

They do not scan your luggage or hand luggage if you get my suggestion.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will post a complete trip report upon our return but wanted to help out those packing now.

Thanks so much for an "on the spot" report.

I hope that the seas give you a break soon!

One suggestion, in case it is relevant... we understand that there is a dinner menu posted somewhere around mid-day, and if you don't like the selection, they'll work with you about an alternate choice. (No idea if it's a "fixed" alternate, or if one gets any choice.) But if you don't quite care for something, you might try to find out where that is posted, and who you should speak with.

Have you tried the specialty restaurant at all?

I think you're on one of their newest ships, perhaps "the newest"?

And we very much appreciate the info about the warm indoor temps. We'll be on a dfferent ship next month, but just in case, we'll now bring along a few warmer-weather tops than we had planned. I doubt those would have been high on the priority packing list!

If you take any excursions, reports would be wonderful.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise!

Thanks again!

GC

Thanks so much for an "on the spot" report.

I hope that the seas give you a break soon!

One suggestion, in case it is relevant... we understand that there is a dinner menu posted somewhere around mid-day, and if you don't like the selection, they'll work with you about an alternate choice. (No idea if it's a "fixed" alternate, or if one gets any choice.) But if you don't quite care for something, you might try to find out where that is posted, and who you should speak with.

Have you tried the specialty restaurant at all?

I think you're on one of their newest ships, perhaps "the newest"?

And we very much appreciate the info about the warm indoor temps. We'll be on a dfferent ship next month, but just in case, we'll now bring along a few warmer-weather tops than we had planned. I doubt those would have been high on the priority packing list!

If you take any excursions, reports would be wonderful.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise!

Thanks again!

GC

We don’t have a speciality restaurant but a cafe we can order a sandwich or burger from at additional charges. The food is not critical but I did want others to know how it works.

Some of the other guests agree that they keep the public interior areas too warm.

We’re in Tromsø now and just returned from the dog sled. It was very fun and well organized. The scenery was beautiful- I highly recommend it.

This is some great information, keep it coming! In my research on the Hurtigruten website they have this information about alternative restaurants/menus:

“À La Carte Menu

Our à la carte menu is an out-of-the-ordinary dining experience created from the absolute premium produce from our local suppliers. For guests on the Classic Voyage, full board is included in the voyage price, and for a small fee you can upgrade to our à la carte menu option. If you don’t have a full board, you are still welcome to order our à la carte menu. On most of our ships the à la carte menu will be served in separate areas of the restaurants, while on board MS Midnatsol, MS Trollfjord, and MS Finnmarken there are separate dining rooms that are used exclusively for our à la carte menu option guests. Enjoy 2-, 3-, 4-, or 5-course dinners, and choose from four different starters, five main courses, four desserts, and our famous cheese plate. Additional wine and drink packages are also available. The à la carte menu is only bookable on board. MS Lofoten has its own dinner concept with a menu from the 1960s. MS Vesterålen does not offer the à la carte menu.”

Like everything else as far as prices in Norway, I have also read, the upgrade is not cheap but might be worth looking into if you have a special occasion.

Looking forward to future posts, enjoy the remainder of your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We saw the light last night about 11 pm! You must leave your phone in the Northern Lights Info ON so you can hear the announcements in your room. It was a very clear night (finally).

“They” day we should have even better lights tonight.

Off soon to go to the Cape.

It is cold! 27 degrees but with wind feels like 15 so my phone says.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just retuned from the North Cape, I highly recommend this excursion. Beautiful scenery on the way there and back 45 minute bus ride each way, but amazing.

Tips:

Sit on the same side of the bus going and coming to see everything. English speaking bus made it a delight. Great driver and although they don’t expect tips we tipped the driver and guide at the end and it was definitely appreciated (only $5 each)

Tour the visitor center and don’t miss the free movie. Only 15 minutes long but absolutely beautiful and so worth seeing.

If you will be up here in the winter or maybe even early spring bring crampons to go around your boots so you won’t slip on the ice. Get them from Amazon and bring with you - the shop on board sells the $13 crampons for over $25 which I would’ve bought but they sold out of all sizes but men’s large the first day! There is lots of ice in the parking lot that surround the ship at each port which is hard to avoid.

We just retuned from the North Cape, I highly recommend this excursion. Beautiful scenery on the way there and back 45 minute bus ride each way, but amazing.

Tips:

Sit on the same side of the bus going and coming to see everything. English speaking bus made it a delight. Great driver and although they don’t expect tips we tipped the driver and guide at the end and it was definitely appreciated (only $5 each)

Tour the visitor center and don’t miss the free movie. Only 15 minutes long but absolutely beautiful and so worth seeing.

If you will be up here in the winter or maybe even early spring bring crampons to go around your boots so you won’t slip on the ice. Get them from Amazon and bring with you - the shop on board sells the $13 crampons for over $25 which I would’ve bought but they sold out of all sizes but men’s large the first day! There is lots of ice in the parking lot that surround the ship at each port which is hard to avoid.

What type of crampons does Hurtigruten sell, and what type do you recommend?

Do they sell/use/allow the type with actual sharp points (not the 1 inch nail type used by serious ice climbers!)?

DH has a pair that is more like metal wound around the elastic-type thin rope. The open spacing of the coils spreads out a bit more when it is stretched over shoe/boot. But there is nothing "sharp" to dig into ice.

He finds that it works here, but we are mostly dealing with minor ice that has frozen after being pretty much fully cleared and then melted a bit or such... not sort of rugged surfaces, etc.

Ah, his are sort of like Yaktrax, if that helps.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80595?feat=514545-GN3&page=yaktrax-pro&csp=f&attrValue_0=Black&productId=1334419

But do these have enough of a grip?

Thanks again.

GC

Today we went to the Snow Hotel. It was very cold 9 degrees in Kirkenes but with wind etc my phone said it was like -5! The worse thing was I had to take off my gloves to take pictures with my iPhone. Not fun.

The “tour” was of the reindeer the dog sled dogs and then the Snow Hotel. Very nice tour and very informative. I’ve seen hotels like this on the Travel Channel so it was fun to see for myself. We got to see the “ice bar” which is very cool as well as the empty guest rooms. Each guest room has a theme that is carved in the wall.

After a bit we could use the facilities and then go upstairs for a sausage snack and warm drink.

My husband and I went back downstairs and went back through the rooms to take photos of each one before exiting with no crowds. The rest of the group walked in the outside from the snack area so they didn’t have the same opportunity as us.

If you have no other plans in Kirkenes do this tour, my husband wasn’t keen on it at first but really enjoyed it. We didn’t sign up for this one until on board and the just yesterday.

By the way, the beds on board are very comfortable. And the internet is fantastic. Being dark at 3:00 it’s hard to not take a nap every afternoon.

On our return now, let me know if you have any questions.

You might want to buy some sea sickness medicine during one of your stops...that’s what I did on the RT cruise a couple of years ago.

Good tip, I actually have some I brought with me but I just might do that as I think I will need more. Usually on a cruise they sell them in their shop.

It’s very rough right now 4 AM day 8.

Day 8 - saw more lights last night. They tend to be about 11:00. I didnt bring have a special camera so I used the Northern Lights Photo Taker app Seemed to work pretty well.

2 hr stop in Hammerfest we got off with empty purse and backpack and found a liquor store only a block away from the ship. In the shopping center on the left. We got a bottle of wine for just 119.9 Nok which is about $15. Not bad considering the ship charges 110 nok for 1 glass. My husband got some beer. We took everything back to our room and went for a second load. No one asked to see our bags and unlike most cruise ships there is no security when coming on board.

Tonight more lights at 11:00 again, I thought pretty good ones which we could see off our balcony.

We went to the Midnight Concert in Tromsø. Very nice. 3 musicians. A soloist, flautist and piano/organist. Highly recommend.

Another tip, when you are trying to exit the ship for your excursion instead of being bundled up on the stairwell next to the forward exit (which can be a long time and you get overheated). Take the aft elevator to deck 4 and walk forward to the exit. The hall isn’t crowded and much cooler - you can merge into the others. Unfortunately we didn’t figure this out until past our halfway mark.

Day 9. Lights were out again last night again (5th night in a row!). about 11 pm which seems to be the times they appear on this cruise. We’ve been lucky that they have been on our side (port) of the ship so we can see easily from our balcony or window. It was very rough seas when they appeared and I’m not sure anyone could get a good picture even with a tripod.

Hot tip!

Bring your own body/hand lotion. And lots of it!

They don’t provide any - even in our suite. And if your skin isn’t used to the cold dry weather like ours it will be very dry and itch like crazy.

The hand sanitizer required before entering the restaurant especially dries out your hands.

Thank you for your daily tips. I have just booked MS Trollfjord next January - only Bergen to Kirkenes with some nights pre- and post-cruise in Bergen and Kirkenes.

You will love it, Northbound definitely has the most favorable excursions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Disembarkation day, not very organized. We had to leave our suite at 12 noon and the ship doesn’t dock until 2:30 Not a whole lot of places to sit with our carry on. People camped out and marked their spaces very early.

We decided to sit on deck 5 in the Explorer Bar. Chairs that are low don’t make much sense. They run into the chairs behind them as they turn - not to mention they are very hard to get out of. Too low to the ground.

I turned in our survey and told them that the windows should be cleaned in the suites at least once during the 12 day cruise. As well as other points I wanted to make.

Overall a very nice cruise, glad we saw the Northern Lights (what we came for).

Would I sail again on Hurtigruten? Probably not. No reason to.

Disembarkation day, not very organized. We had to leave our suite at 12 noon and the ship doesn’t dock until 2:30 Not a whole lot of places to sit with our carry on. People camped out and marked their spaces very early.

We decided to sit on deck 5 in the Explorer Bar. Chairs that are low don’t make much sense. They run into the chairs behind them as they turn - not to mention they are very hard to get out of. Too low to the ground.

I turned in our survey and told them that the windows should be cleaned in the suites at least once during the 12 day cruise. As well as other points I wanted to make.

Overall a very nice cruise, glad we saw the Northern Lights (what we came for).

Would I sail again on Hurtigruten? Probably not. No reason to.

Thank you for this information.

If one of us (or both) leave our suite extra early, would that make sense, to get seats in a good location?

(In our case, on the Trollfjord, that would probably be in that front lounge, with the 2-story windows.)

And we hope we have even part of the good fortune that you had in viewing the Northern Lights!

Have a good trip home!

GC

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did this in 2017 southbound. I would like to add that you should make the effort to go to the Crossing The Arctic Circle Ceremony. Make sure to partake. It is free and you get a nice keepsake. I don’t want to spoil the surprise (I am not talking about an ice water sprinkle) but it is very nice.