Daylight Saving Time

Jimnbigd

Just a reminder that Daylight Saving Time starts this Sunday, March 8, for most of the mainland USA, including departure ports.

Set your clocks and watches ahead one hour before going to bed Saturday night. Don't be late for the cruise or air flights.

Hawaii does not do the time change. (Neither does Arizona, but for some reason ships don't sail from there).

Edited by Jimnbigd

Just a reminder that Daylight Saving Time starts this Sunday, March 8, for most of the mainland USA, including departure ports.

Set your clocks and watches ahead one hour before going to bed Saturday night. Don't be late for the cruise or air flights.

Hawaii does not do the time change. (Neither does Arizona, but for some reason ships don't sail from there).

Thank you for not misspelling it as "Savings Time"

Thanks for reminding us! A related question for folks reading this one:

Has anyone here ever "lost" an hour on a spring cruise (due to DST change), and then re-gained it on another ship, with the subsequent fall time change? :p

We did it once, and didn't even realize it, until the October cruise -- when we "got our hour back"! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Has anyone here ever "lost" an hour on a spring cruise (due to DST change), and then re-gained it on another ship, with the subsequent fall time change? :p

We did it once, and didn't even realize it, until the October cruise -- when we "got our hour back"! :cool:

Not done it on a cruise, but a couple of times in work, I work shifts. But mainly, I seem to end up just working the shift in October when the clocks go back and I've got to do a 13hr shift instead of 12. :(:(

During my world cruise last year I lost a day crossing the International Dateline then gained it back on the return part of the trip. We actually had two Saint Patrick's days.

Don

Yes, well - baseball spring training. They play in Arizona, so it's 7 hours different from UK time, or 6 hours if I'm looking at the Brewers' site on Central Time, or 5 hours if I'm looking at the mlb site on Eastern time. Until March 8th, and then all the times change by an hour, except for the Arizona time. Until March 29th, when UK daylight saving kicks in, so they all change an hour again, including Arizona.

What time's the game start? Can some kind person please put a little label on my pillow explaining how the clocks change? :)

Picking up an extra hour at work may not be a plus, but on a ship it is pretty good. That is one reason why westbound trans-Atlantics are better than east bound - you get five 25 hour days sailing from UK, or six from Rome -- plus one more if switching back to standard time happens while you are on board.

We are being 'caught' by this. Daylight Saving Time starts at the end of March in the UK, and so for a couple of weeks the UK / US time difference is altered. We are flying to Brazil (Manaus) via Miami and we have a pretty tight transfer time (just over 2 hours) because of this 'missing' hour. We will do some very careful packing of our carry on bags as we have concerns about the luggage all going with us - and I don't think American Airlines are going to chase the ship down the Amazon with any lost suitcases!

Our concern is based on our experience in January, when even with six and a half hours (transit from New Zealand) in LAX our suitcases did not make the flight to London and were returned to us (four cases in three deliveries) over four or five days.