quest cruise director, dress

sassyw

Sorry dont know cruise director.

However, if a man wants to eat in the main dining room on formal or elegant casual night of which there are usually 3 elegant and 1 formal per week he must wear a jacket.

A man would not need a jacket if dining at the more casual dining options ie patio grill.

Dependant upon maitre'd, i have seen men either have to go back to the room and fetch a jacket or be given one if they dont have one by maitre'd. Upon my experience it has thankfully been well enforced.

From their website, I think Tilly is worng.....

HOW SHOULD I PACK?

Attire During the Day:

During the daytime, casual, resort-style attire, including shorts and jeans, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness center.

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues

Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Formal

In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.

Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in any public venues after 6pm.

The itinerary in the preliminary document booklet will inform you of the number of Formal evenings to expect during your voyage. As a rule of thumb, Formal evenings are scheduled as follows:

Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal evening

Cruises of 14 to 20 days: Two Formal evenings

Cruises of 21 or more days: Three Formal evenings

At the risk of starting a dress code "war" I will mention a concern I have.

On the Jan/Feb cruise we just did on Sojourn it was interesting to see how far people were pushing the dress codes even further. I can understand how wearing a jacket most nights gets tedious......though my husband doesn't mind, he says it hides a lot of sins :).

The dress code does say Elegant Casual but there seemed to be quite a few who are pushing it to the very casual dress code. Some examples.....one man with a sweat shirt in the MDR, another man with very crumpled clothes and sandshoes....he looked like he had been out touring all day and just come straight to dinner. It was a sea day.

These are a few examples and there were more like that then I have seen on previous sailings. I hope Seabourn doesn't go the "Country Club Casual" as I feel getting dressed up to go to the MDR is a pleasure and adds to the cruising experience. If I want to do really Casual I eat in suite or go to the Patio Grill.

So my point if you choose not to wear a jacket that is fine but please make an effort to be Elegant Casual if that is what is required not Casual.

At the risk of starting a dress code "war" I will mention a concern I have.

On the Jan/Feb cruise we just did on Sojourn it was interesting to see how far people were pushing the dress codes even further. I can understand how wearing a jacket most nights gets tedious......though my husband doesn't mind, he says it hides a lot of sins :).

The dress code does say Elegant Casual but there seemed to be quite a few who are pushing it to the very casual dress code. Some examples.....one man with a sweat shirt in the MDR, another man with very crumpled clothes and sandshoes....he looked like he had been out touring all day and just come straight to dinner. It was a sea day.

These are a few examples and there were more like that then I have seen on previous sailings. I hope Seabourn doesn't go the "Country Club Casual" as I feel getting dressed up to go to the MDR is a pleasure and adds to the cruising experience. If I want to do really Casual I eat in suite or go to the Patio Grill.

So my point if you choose not to wear a jacket that is fine but please make an effort to be Elegant Casual if that is what is required not Casual.

We were on the Sojourn in February and the same can be said for the women too. Sun dresses and flip flops are not Elegant Casual attire for the MDR. Also, some women feel that putting some see through piece of fabric over their bikini/swimwear is appropriate for lunch in the Colonnade. PLEASE.....COVER UP!!!

We continue to wear a jacket for dinner in the MDR as we are comfortable doing that, it is smart and we feel it is appropriate for the ambience of the MDR.

I absolutely agree with you both, and feel it is a real shame, as the majority have always dressed so beautifully for dinner.

Whilst i know it is done to fit in with the rest of the luxury smaller ship market, cant help but think its a move toward the downward spiral of dressing down for dinner and eventually no dress codes.

Heather Clancy is the current cruise director, and will be on-board until July, I believe. I recommend to go to her show if you get the opportunity. She is a professional opera singer (mezzo-soprano) and sings both classical opera and musical theatre with skill and panache. And she has an amazing array of high heels!

The captain is Captain Geir-Arne Thue-Nilsen who is, along with being a skilled captain, a fine photographer. His wife is also currently aboard and she is also extremely nifty with the Canon!

The Hotel Manager is Guenter Steinbrunner, who received a long-service award during the last cruise. Standards remain very high under his direction, of course.

The Food and Beverages Manager is Daciano Da Silva. Food is delicious as ever, with good use of local produce when possible (obviously not on a nine sea-day stint on our final leg!)

• 2 months later...

Just got off the Quest. Here's an update:

Captain: Bjarne Larsen

Hotel Manager: Philipp Reutener

Food & Beverage Manager: Julian Petrasuc

Cruise Director: Heather Clancy

Assistant Cruise Director: Judy Lombino

Also do men wear jackets any other night but formal night??:confused:

It has been suggested that the ‘casualisation’ of dress codes across the industry is an attempt to appeal to a younger demographic thereby ensuring that the sector thrives as ‘old gits’ like myself ‘drop off the perch’.

My take is that I am pleased with this initiative and Seabourn’s move in this direction was one of the reasons we will be trying out their product in a few weeks.

This board has been helpful although I know this subject provokes strong opinions.

I will ensure that I fully comply with the dress code so my jacket wearing may only take place in the MDR on our formal night (not taking a tie). If I don’t want to wear a jacket on Formal night I will just avoid the MDR. However, the jacket may come in useful if we are eating al fresco one evening.

Right now Geir Arne Thue Nilsen is captain. So an exchange took place last Saturday.

Heather Clancy also departed last Saturday. (And her opera singing was, indeed, quite impressive -- not what you'd necessarily expect from a CD!)

Eric