Always wondered.................

shrimpcruiser

I cruise most every year in December to the Caribbean. Usually I wear my Dinner Dress Blues (retired Navy) on the first Elegant night. I always wondered if I should/can wear my Dinner Dress Whites even though the cruise is in the winter months...........thoughts?

Thanks and thank you to all who have served/are currently serving!

In case anybody reading this thread is wondering what the rules are for Army retirees, I looked that up earlier this year (2017) and it is not authorized unless it is strictly a military event so wearing the uniform isn't authorized on a cruise. Now whether anybody can still fit into their uniform is another question! ;p

Tom

• Haha 1

Only problem with 'whites' is that 'no idea' pax may turn to you and ask where the toilet is etc.

Trust me most people have no idea.

LoL... so true. When I wore my dress whites on one cruise, other passengers kept stopping me and asking me questions about the ship such as how fast will she go, gross tonnage, etc..

In case anybody reading this thread is wondering what the rules are for Army retirees, I looked that up earlier this year (2017) and it is not authorized unless it is strictly a military event so wearing the uniform isn't authorized on a cruise. Now whether anybody can still fit into their uniform is another question! ;p

Tom

The same rules apply to Retired Air Force Personnel. If it is not a military affiliated function, or you are formally invited to a function because of your service, wear of the uniform is not authorized. You can wear your ribbons, or miniature medals on a tux, or business suit should you choose to do so.;)

• 1 month later...
I say go for it (retired Navy Supply Officer here). Personally, I don't think anyone would know the difference, or care to be honest.

I wore my whites one cruise years ago, and it was well received by many!;)

Mike wore his dress whites in February for our first couple of cruises, but I don't know if this is considered the correct time to wear it or not. I was the one that talked him into it since he isn't to keen on the added attention that he got. As KroozNut said most people wouldn't know the difference or probably not even care. It obliviously signals you are military and a good way to approach a stranger with something in common to talk about. There were some strangers that came up and started talking to him who had previously or currently served/serving, a lot of nods, some thank-you's and a few drinks were bought for us.

The funniest or should I say most surprising thing was when there was some kind of emergency on board and some of the crew members came up to him! What, they didn't even know what their own Captain looked like? That's bad. :eek: Maybe the 4 stripes made them confused? He hasn't worn it in about 5 years, but I think I have talked him into it again for the next cruise. :D Men look extra handsome in their uniforms. I hope you wear it and have fun.

Renee

Edited by ReneeFLL

• 2 weeks later...
I tip my cover to anyone who wants to wear the dress uniform to formal night. I just can't imagine doing so. I haven't had to wear my dress uniform in years and I'm trying to keep to that until I retire in April. ;p

Congratulations on your retirement. Life is just beginning!

As far as wear of the uniform on a cruise ship - for all military it is against regs! I don't do it, and I don't recognize those who do - flagrant violation.

As one of my earliest military supervisors once to me - if you can't follow the 'little insignificant' requirements, how can we expect you to follow the important ones!

• 1 month later...
As far as wear of the uniform on a cruise ship - for all military it is against regs! I don't do it, and I don't recognize those who do - flagrant violation.

DaKa, just curious where this comes from. The only ref I've seen cited regarding formal uniforms not being allowed on cruises is the Army reg against retired/veterans from wearing uniforms outside of official military functions.

I am active duty Navy, and there is a decided absence of any regulation prohibiting wear of uniform to non-military functions. The closest thing is in Navy Uniform Regulations paragraph 1401.3.5:

Other Than Official Events. A commanding officer may authorize wearing the uniform when assured that the service member is not appearing in uniform at the particular event, to promote privately held convictions or interests, or lead the observers to believe that the demonstration, assembly, or activity does not relate to matters in public controversy.

As for the discussion on retired/vets, further reading on my part found DODI 1334.01 Wearing the Uniform, which limits wear for those no longer on active duty to military functions and parades, as well as travel to and from:

3.2. Former members of the Armed Forces, unless under another provision of this Instruction or under the terms of Section 772 of title 10, United States Code (reference (d)), who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only on the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:

3.2.1. Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.

3.2.2. Parades on National or State holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any Active or Reserve United States military unit is taking part.

3.2.3. Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any other purposes is prohibited.

The same instruction only prohibits uniform wear for active duty when it might cause a conflict of interest (protests, rallies, unofficial speaking events, when it could bring discredit on armed forces, etc).

As one of my earliest military supervisors once to me - if you can't follow the 'little insignificant' requirements, how can we expect you to follow the important ones!

Disagree 100% with this as it is service specific.

DaKa, just curious where this comes from. The only ref I've seen cited regarding formal uniforms not being allowed on cruises is the Army reg against retired/veterans from wearing uniforms outside of official military functions.

I am active duty Navy, and there is a decided absence of any regulation prohibiting wear of uniform to non-military functions. The closest thing is in Navy Uniform Regulations paragraph 1401.3.5:

As for the discussion on retired/vets, further reading on my part found DODI 1334.01 Wearing the Uniform, which limits wear for those no longer on active duty to military functions and parades, as well as travel to and from:

[/size]The same instruction only prohibits uniform wear for active duty when it might cause a conflict of interest (protests, rallies, unofficial speaking events, when it could bring discredit on armed forces, etc).

You are right Todd, and again, I wore my Navy Dress Whites one cruise on formal night. I never bought a drink for myself that night... just sayin' ;):D

You are right Todd, and again, I wore my Navy Dress Whites one cruise on formal night. I never bought a drink for myself that night... just sayin' ;):D

I am looking forward to wearing my Dinner Dress Blue Jacket on my cruise in a month. I have only worn it once prior. Been deployed for the last 2 Navy Balls and other dressy events.

Was originally considering getting a tux, but why get a tux when I already have the equivalent?

I am looking forward to wearing my Dinner Dress Blue Jacket on my cruise in a month. I have only worn it once prior. Been deployed for the last 2 Navy Balls and other dressy events.

Was originally considering getting a tux, but why get a tux when I already have the equivalent?

You are exactly right, wear your Dinner Dress Blues. You will fit right right in!;)

You are exactly right, wear your Dinner Dress Blues. You will fit right in!;)

quote the Movie .... A Few Good Men

I see you are wearing your First Class uniform,

I think I have earned it

I am an Aussie 20 year vet.

I wear what I want when I want.

Interesting topic.

I haven't warn my dress uniform in years. In fact I was still active Army.

I would not of even thought of bringing it on a cruise ship for formal night. I can't imagine Army is an different than any other branch. We were not permitted to wear it anytime, other than a military function, wedding or a funeral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting topic.

I haven't warn my dress uniform in years. In fact I was still active Army.

I would not of even thought of bringing it on a cruise ship for formal night. I can't imagine Army is an different than any other branch. We were not permitted to wear it anytime, other than a military function, wedding or a funeral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's still the current reg, at least it was about 6 months ago.

Tom

• 3 months later...

I just want to jump in here, and give you my perspective. I spent 26 years on active duty, the last eight years or so in positions that required attending ceremonies, graduations, inductions, etc. In fact, I have two complete mess dress uniforms, as well as two Class A dress uniforms. After I retired from active duty, I was offered a position teaching AFJROTC, which I held for 19 more years, for a total of 45 years in uniform. That job required me to spend a whole bunch of time in the civilian community, in uniform representing my program, as well as the Air Force at many functions. I was recognized as "The Chief" in the South Bend Community, as a matter of respect for what I was doing for our Cadets, not what I did in my previous life.

I only want to say, that enough is enough. I am proud of my service, but there are many, many other Soldiers, Sailors Marines and Airmen who have served in the War On Terrorism, long after I left, and they deserve certainly our respect, and thanks for their service. On occasions where a tux is in order, as on a formal night, I have a set of miniature ribbons, as well as my miniature medals from my mess dress that will fit on my tux. However, I somehow find those accoutrements difficult to wear these days with our troops coming home in boxes.:(

I agree with you, "The Chief!" Thank you for all your service - especially working with those who are the next generations of service men and women who will carry on the long traditions of military service to our country.

• 6 months later...
On 3/3/2018 at 7:12 PM, KroozNut said:

Again, depends on the service. I wore my Dress Whites (Navy) several years ago on a formal night and it was the hit of the night. And it was completely within Navy Regs.

I'm glad it was the hit of the night for you. I wished it was like that for everyone who wears their uniforms. Ya'll deserve the recognition and thanks for serving.

On 3/2/2018 at 2:31 AM, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

quote the Movie .... A Few Good Men

I see you are wearing your First Class uniform,

I think I have earned it

I am an Aussie 20 year vet.

I wear what I want when I want.

Good for you! You deserve to wear it proudly and I hope to see you in it some day.

Edited by ReneeFLL