Bad or good - century?

KODA C

We are going on the CENTURY next month and i read the reviews about this ship and 1 review is good and the next review isn't.

Who is telling the truth?

One says not enough help on the ship next one says everything ok.

Food is hot,food not hot, food cold, food not cold, what the heck is going on.

Any answers to this or am i making a mountain out of a mole hill?

KC

We are going on the CENTURY next month and i read the reviews about this ship and 1 review is good and the next review isn't.

KC

Hi KC:) to be honest? You can ask 50 people who are on

the same cruise about their individual experiences and you will

probably receive 50 different answers.

I have sailed CENTURY 5 times~she is the ship that got me

hooked on cruising so she really holds a special for me:)

Each person has their own views on every sailing. I love

CENTURY:D and would say go and have a wonderful time.:)

KC

You are going to get different answers no matter who you ask. We are going for our second time.

Remember, this is a mass market line. I loved the Sushi Bar each evening at 5:00pm. I hated the fact you had to be "Elite" to go to formal tea in the dining room, so all but 18 passengers were excluded on my 5 night cruise in 2008. Apparently on the 7 night cruises and longer they invite all passengers to afternoon tea in the dining room. I hated the fact that an Elite member on CC called and they still would not host a CC party although we had over 25 on our roll call and only asked for tea and cookies. I loved the Aqua Spa Cafe. I hated the fact we had 11 cabin lock outs on two different cabins and 3 different key cards. I hated the fact on the last night that our head wait staff told us to "make sure you fill out the review, excellent because "Good is not good enough"...but loved the fact he brought Birthday cake and did not charge for it....

Remember the old adage that goes something like this,

if you're happy with a service, you'll tell one person

if you're unhappy, you'll tell ten

You have to throw out the super fantastic reviews and the super sour ones. The reality is somewhere in the middle. I have had a lot of "good" sailings, a couple of "fabulous" sailings and one that was just okay. And the one that was just okay was not great because I set my expectations too high. I don't think anyone could have ever made me happy on that cruise!

We sailed on Century in April and were very happy with our cabin, our stateroom attendant, our servers in the dining room, with Murano's, with the layout of the ship, with the crew, and with the activities. :)

Just imagine how things would be if survey organizations only surveyed 2 people...either things would be 100% good, 50/50 split or 100% bad...not really a true representation of the real numbers is it? As was said above, throw out the really good, the really bad and look at the middle and base your opinion on that

Koda- we were in the same boat when we took our first cruise- on Century! Go with an open mind knowing that everything will not be perfect, just the same as a land-based vacation. I'm willing to bet that Century will exceed your expectations, just from the service offered by the great staff.

We're going back on her in December, and looking forward to it.

We were on Century last month, and had a great cruise. We had one wine steward who did not get an "excellent", but the rest of the staff was wonderful. No problems with food or our cabin. I think that if you convince yourself that you are going to find problems, you will, but if you go with the "I'm gonna have a great cruise" attitude, you will have a fabulous time. NO ship is perfect, no cruiseline is perfect, but all in all it's still a great way to travel. Don't stress about the Century. You will have a great cruise.

I'm jumping on the thread here to thank those who replied. My fiance & I are getting married on the Century--our first cruise!--on January 24, 2010. I'm happy to hear mostly good feedback. We've got about 30 people joining us--many first time cruisers, so I'm hoping for a good experience.

Thanks so much!!

:)

I'm jumping on the thread here to thank those who replied. My fiance & I are getting married on the Century--our first cruise!--on January 24, 2010. I'm happy to hear mostly good feedback. We've got about 30 people joining us--many first time cruisers, so I'm hoping for a good experience.

Thanks so much!!

:)

Congratulations! You will have a wonderful time. Post when you return & let us know all about it!

I've been on the Century, Solstice, Infinity, Jewel of the Sea, Golden Princess and Sapphire Princess.

Century is my favorite. We are on her again December 12th :)

One more cruise on X and elite status.

PS..our first cruise was May of last year. I guess we're addicted

I am on Century Fall TA as well as Connie next week. . I think the attitude of not expecting too much is important. Last on Century 06, food not good; but it depends on who is running the kitchen. One thing noted about X; they do discount their older ships more as it should be.Do not miss the alternate restaurant.

I am on Century Fall TA as well as Connie next week. . I think the attitude of not expecting too much is important. Last on Century 06, food not good; but it depends on who is running the kitchen. One thing noted about X; they do discount their older ships more as it should be. Do not miss the alternate restaurant.

We were on Century in the Med ealier this month and had a fabulous time. Ship was great and in good condition, service was excellent and food was good. Sometimes we made a mistake and selected something which was not as good as hoped for but that was more personnel taste than any problem with the food. The only thing I would br critical of is that the tendering did not seem to be anywhere near as well organised as previous Celebrity cruises. Given the opportunity I would sail again tomorrow on Century, she is a lovely ship.

I am on Century Fall TA as well as Connie next week. . I think the attitude of not expecting too much is important. Last on Century 06, food not good; but it depends on who is running the kitchen. One thing noted about X; they do discount their older ships more as it should be. Do not miss the alternate restaurant.

I agree that Celebrity has a tendency to discount their older ships and that Century and Mercury have some of the lowest prices of any mass market cruise ship. I've also noticed that since the Solstice class ships entered service the prices of the Millennium class ships, especially Millennium, have decreased substantially. However, this is a common practice with most mass market cruise lines and is one of many reasons why the ship itself is much more important than the cruise line.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi KODA,

We had our first cruise with Century, it was great and we love it. We are hooked on cruising and we're planning on another cruise. Ship is in very good shape. I've very good experience with guest relation people. (My sea pass card was demagnetized few times). Our room steward and his assistant are wonderful.

The food in MDR is very good most of the time. I had only one not so good meal at MDR. I didn't like the food that I choose. My tablemate sent her dinner back. (My DW said her dinner was delicious). We had very good waiter in MDR.

We love Century. It was our very first cruise. We hope to sail her again someday, would do so without reservation.

But seriously folks, even my worst cruise was great. Think about it, fancy dining rooms with good food, a comfortable bed, twice a day room service, a big ship out at sea, visiting far-away interesting places, fun activities, they wash all the dishes, and two desserts at supper. I have only sailed once on Celeb. (the Infinity) and had a great time. You will too.

Race you to the buffet line, Howard

We were on Century last month, and had a great cruise. We had one wine steward who did not get an "excellent", but the rest of the staff was wonderful. No problems with food or our cabin. I think that if you convince yourself that you are going to find problems, you will, but if you go with the "I'm gonna have a great cruise" attitude, you will have a fabulous time. NO ship is perfect, no cruiseline is perfect, but all in all it's still a great way to travel. Don't stress about the Century. You will have a great cruise.

Very well said......:):):)

Bob

We are sailing on Century from Barcelona to Miami on 28th November, this will be our 2nd cruise with Celebrity,reading the comments this should be as good as our last trip or may be even better. Our wedding anniversary is 24th January also, so good luck with the wedding on board, I will be thinking of you on our cruise and on our wedding anniversary.

Archived