euros

silver service

Why not actually use their currencies?

WD

Because it's an a..se to fiddle with mutiple currencies, how much to change and the difficulty or in many cases, immposibility of changing back unspent.

US Dollars or Euros should be accepted by most traders in all three countries, although you will find the more "official" places like museums and government run estblishments difficult. Certainly Egypt will take Dollars but the rate won't be good.

You could always change foreign notes as you go and could also use credit cards which are now accepted in so many outlets even in way out locations.

David.

Yes, but think how much more fun it is :) And how much less like an American Tourist you're acting :D :p

Well said that man! You may have no vowels, but you speak sense.

Part of the experience of Egypt is Egyptian pounds. How are you going to distribute Bakseesh without the correct currency?

WD

Yes, but think how much more fun it is :) And how much less like an American Tourist you're acting :D :p

Gee Pnhmark, anyone reading that might think you have a problem with American tourists or are given to sterotyping. But, of course, you are not prejudiced, and are as accepting of others as you would want them to be towards you.

Gee Pnhmark, anyone reading that might think you have a problem with American tourists or are given to sterotyping. But, of course, you are not prejudiced, and are as accepting of others as you would want them to be towards you.

Why do so many Americans have difficulty with English humour?

WD

Yare right, perhaps you would like to buy my 100 HSBC HK Dollars or a nice crisp 50 Kroner note.

David.

It's surprising that, after we gave the Americans their independence, they don't understand English humour.

D

I don't think that there was any giving on our part! more like we want it by them. But give them time to evolve into the 2nd British Empire?

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

from this Yank!

Anyway, unless I'm on a land trip, I use very little cash except for transportation while in port. For purchases, I use my VISA debit card as the exchange rate has been better than using either my VISA, AMEX or Mastercard credit cards.

PS I think the Cat is busy relocating and unpacking.

Just to try to answer the question in a po-faced manner: Your Euros may be accepted but the exchange rate will be rubbish. Also, a tip in Euros is pretty useless. Why would you do that to someone who doesn't have much money anyway?

You may also find that many places outside the United States are less enthusiastic about accepting credit cards to pay small amounts.

Is is really that difficult to go to your local bank and get an assortment of money? The exchange rate still won't be as good as you get in the country, but the hassle factor should be reduced to just above nil.

I don't know about other banks, but Barclay's changes back any unspent foreign currency upon return from holiday.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to try to answer the question in a po-faced manner:

< snip >

Is is really that difficult to go to your local bank and get an assortment of money? The exchange rate still won't be as good as you get in the country, but the hassle factor should be reduced to just above nil.

I don't know about other banks, but Barclay's changes back any unspent foreign currency upon return from holiday.

I laughed the most at this one. You don't know how isolated we are over here (especially the bankers). I could go to my bank here in San Antonio and perhaps find some Mexican Pesos, but no other currency. Whatever foreign currency that might be available would come at a 10-20% service charge. Anything as obscure to us as the Euro or the Pound would require a special order in advance with even more service fees. This is in a city of 1.3 million.

Race you to the buffet line, Howard

Archived